Old September 18th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default Random wire Receiver antenna good enough?

Hello,

I have just gotten my radio license and someone gave me an old
hammarlund receiver that hadn't been used in over 25 years. I used a
variac to bring up the power slowly, because I was told that the
capacitors needed to be reconditioned. Everything seemed to work fine
and I was able to pull in some transmissions with a random wire
antenna. I don't have a transmitter yet, so I am hoping to just use a
longer random wire antenna, laid along the attic until I can get money
together etc. My question is probably dumb, but I was wondering if
there is an "optimal length" for a random wire antenna for hf?

THanks for any help you can provide,

Joel Hainley
www.hamtesting.com

Old September 19th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:13:31 -0000, wrote:

Hello,

I have just gotten my radio license and someone gave me an old
hammarlund receiver that hadn't been used in over 25 years. I used a
variac to bring up the power slowly, because I was told that the
capacitors needed to be reconditioned. Everything seemed to work fine
and I was able to pull in some transmissions with a random wire
antenna. I don't have a transmitter yet, so I am hoping to just use a
longer random wire antenna, laid along the attic until I can get money
together etc. My question is probably dumb, but I was wondering if
there is an "optimal length" for a random wire antenna for hf?

THanks for any help you can provide,

Joel Hainley
www.hamtesting.com
well the questions is good enough for what?

1sure it is a good start

2 optimmum lentgh well Id say yes and know some od multiple of he band
you want to hear most is like a good lentgh so you might want about 3
(or 5 or 7) half wavelenghs for 20 m for the and if you have room 3
half waves for 40 or 80 at night

3 I am not familair with your model reciever if is odd enough it may
have AM cap which would be VERY limited if it doess SSB it is likely
ok

welcome aboard and beware the troll on here

"one useless man is disgrace 2 become a law firm 3 or more become a

congress"
adams

woger you are a Congress all in your own head

http://kb9rqz.bravejournal.com/

and get ou the newly recovered KB9RQZ.blogspot.com as well

If a "random" wire has an "optimum" length, then
(it seems to me) it is no longer "random". miki.

Old September 21st 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

I'm dealing with the random length issue as well. For a receiver ONLY,
it isn't going to make a lot of difference. However, when you get your
transmitter, you need some sort of matching device (various MFJ units
come to mine), and a SWR bridge of some sort to measure your SWR. If
you get those in the mean time, you can use the matching device to
improve your receiver performance, as you will be matching your
receiver to the antenna. Just tune the matching device for maximum
noise in the band.

If you are just going to be listening, there are a number of active
antenna improvement devices.. basically a matching network and some
sort of amplifier and gain control. Worth looking into.

I have about 1/4 wavelength at 40 meters in my attic, and I can match
it just fine for my QRP rig. What are you planning on for a
transmitter?

/paul
W3FIS

Old September 24th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default Re get clap

remeber that the day of atonments attones for sins
against god alone but must be combined with reparation to the target of sins
aginst your fellow man