Old May 15th 09, 08:44 AM
Junior Member

Smile Hello! My first post!

I've had a radio shack Pro-94 for a while now, and I've been thinking of moving up to HAM or CB. I'm leaning more towards HAM since I heard it covers CB. I was just wondering, since I'm totally new to all this, If you guys can help point me to the right direction of what I should buy, and what I need to learn.

Thank you!
-T.Auler
Old May 21st 09, 06:21 PM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Auler View Post
I've had a radio shack Pro-94 for a while now, and I've been thinking of moving up to HAM or CB. I'm leaning more towards HAM since I heard it covers CB. I was just wondering, since I'm totally new to all this, If you guys can help point me to the right direction of what I should buy, and what I need to learn.

Thank you!
-T.Auler
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Auler View Post
I've had a radio shack Pro-94 for a while now, and I've been thinking of moving up to HAM or CB. I'm leaning more towards HAM since I heard it covers CB. I was just wondering, since I'm totally new to all this, If you guys can help point me to the right direction of what I should buy, and what I need to learn.

Thank you!
-T.Auler
Hi, There are a multitude of sources to help with leaning the basics to obtain an Amateur Radio license. Do a Search of the internet for Amateur Radio Exams, Ham Exams, etc. Entry level test consists of 35 questions, culled from a fairly large 'question pool'. There are printed study materials available from RadioShack, Amateur Electronic Supply, Ham Radio Outlet, etc. The tests are for a limited duration, so don't make the mistake of studying from an outdated reference. It's embarrassing showing up to take the exam, holding an outdated study manual in your hand !!! Go for it, with the frame of mind that you WILL abide by the easily complied with regulations. you open up a facinating hobby greatly extending your communications capabilities. CB is quite limited, especially wien you have to contend with in numeral operators lacking moral integrity in their complying with rules, designed to make the hobby more enjoyable to the maximum number of legal operators. Seek out guidance, from members of your local Amateur Radio Club, there is a wealth of inforamtion available from them. Most tend to 'specialize' in certain facets of the hobby. They may have transceivers available which won't lighten you wallet too much. In turn they can 'upgrade' their equipment.
Old August 17th 09, 02:27 PM
Senior Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328X1 View Post
[...]
What he said,but keep in mind that ham radio has NOTHING to do with cb!
N9ZAS
Old August 25th 09, 12:30 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Auler View Post
I've had a radio shack Pro-94 for a while now, and I've been thinking of moving up to HAM or CB. I'm leaning more towards HAM since I heard it covers CB. I was just wondering, since I'm totally new to all this, If you guys can help point me to the right direction of what I should buy, and what I need to learn.

Thank you!
-T.Auler
Study material can be had here. You can also find class locations.

http://www.arrl.org/

This site can be helpful as well.

http://www.qrz.com/

Scroll down, on left side you will see Study Material and Practice Tests.