Old September 7th 10, 04:18 PM
Junior Member

Default Help with Radio Tracking

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the world of radios (other than what's in my car) and I need a little help with some radio tracking.

I have a transmitter (216.055), a Yaesu VR-500, and the antenna that is shown he http://www.mikesfalconry.com/product.asp?specific=1217

I went outside last night and set the transmitter on the ground. I walked about 100 yards away and turned my Yaesu on. I set it to 216.055 and set the mode to "CW". I heard the "beep" of the transmitter but I heard it no matter which way I faced. It was slighly louder when facing the transmitter but not enough difference where I could easily tell if I didn't know where the transmitter was.

Also the bars at the bottom of the Yaesu screen (which I assume was a signal strength indicator) never displayed anything regardless of which way I was facing.

I played around with the attenuator adjustment but didn't get any different results. The only thing that changed was if I turned it too far in one direction it got real staticy.

As it stands now, there is no way I would be able to locate anything with this setup. What do I need to do in order to be able to better "track" with my equipment?

What am I doing wrong?

Someone said I need an "in-line" attenuator because the one that comes with the Yaesu VR-500 is pretty crappy. They said I could buy one for about $20. Is this what I need? Where can I buy one?

I was holding the antenna so that the "wings" were parrallel to the ground. Do they need to be perpendicular instead?

I am confused and frustrated at this point. If someone could give me some advice/tips/pointers, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Jeremy