Old July 1st 03, 03:34 AM
Jerry Oxendine

Default US senator backs amendment to bar gay marriage..Get rid of him

NOPE! Give him a medal!!

Lord Floyd wrote in message
WASHINGTON, June 29 (AFP) - Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist said
Sunday
he would support an amendment to the US Constitution to ban same-sex
marriages, days after the nation's highest court struck down state
sodomy laws.
Frist told ABC's "This Week" program that he "absolutely" supports
constitutional amendment that would define marriage as being between a
man and
a woman.
"I very much feel that marriage is a sacrament, and that sacrament
should
extend and can extend to that legal entity of a union between, what is
traditionally in our Western values has been defined, as between a man
and a
woman," he said.
US law already defines marriage as between one woman and one man
for
federal purposes, and allows states to decide not to recognize same-sex
marriages performed in other states.
No US state currently allows gay marriage, but the northeastern
state of
Vermont allows civil unions for same-sex couples.
The debate in the United States reignited after Canada announced
earlier
this month it would legalize gay marriages, which would be available to
Americans who cross the border for the ceremony.
Then the US Supreme Court on Thursday struck down state sodomy laws,
in a
decision that conservative lawmakers believe could pave the way for gay
marriages in the United States.
Conservative members of Congress have proposed an amendment banning
gay
marriage, but constitutional changes require enormous support to pass.
Two thirds of both houses of Congress must approve the measure,
which then
needs support of at least 38 of the 50 state legislatures to take
effect.

Old July 1st 03, 05:06 AM
The Dawn Soliloquy

He's presidential material.

We need someone with balls that isn't after someone else's balls.

Regards.

In article , "Jerry Oxendine"
wrote:
NOPE! Give him a medal!!

"Humans do have an amazing capacity for believing what they choose."

"There's a certain inefficiency in constantly questioning me on things
you've already made up your mind about."

"Won't you change your mind?"
"Is there something wrong with the one I have?"

"After a time, you may find that 'having' is not so pleasing a thing, after all,
as 'wanting.' It is not logical, but it is often true."