Old July 1st 03, 02:04 PM
The REAL Agent Smith

Default Bishop of Oxford writes "Gay love's fine, it's all in the Bible"

The Sunday Times - June 29, 2003=20

Gay love's fine, it's all in the Bible
Richard Harries, Bishop of Oxford, on why he appointed the 'gay bishop'

"For some, Jeffrey John, who has been appointed the next Bishop of
Reading, is a symbol of the direction they don't want the Church of
England to go. For others he is a symbol of the inclusive church they
would like to see. When a person becomes a symbol, rational discussion
is difficult. But it is important to look at the arguments against his
appointment.=20

John is an openly gay man, committed to a sexually abstinent lifestyle.
I do not see how a Christian could object to the appointment of such a
man. He is also in a lifetime relationship of love and companionship.
I see nothing in the Bible against this. We read that "Jonathan made a
covenant with David, because he loved him as his own soul" (1 Samuel
18:3). The nine bishops who wrote an open letter criticising the
appointment said: "If this relationship is one of companionship and
sexual abstinence, then we rejoice." It is. I look forward to those
bishops commending John's relationship.=20

John has argued for the church accepting faithful, lifelong, same-sex
relationships. Those opposed to the appointment suggest the Bible is
against this, but there is no wide consensus on interpretation of the
Bible on this issue. John also believes the church must offer the gay
community - prone to promiscuity - an alternative to a lifetime of
celibacy.=20

Celibacy is a wonderful vocation, but it has to be chosen freely. A
number of bishops, perhaps the majority, have sympathy with John's
arguments, but we have presented a united front to the world in opposing
them, at least as far as clergy are concerned. John's relationship had
a sexual dimension at one time. Opponents call on him publicly to
repent. He has brought his relationship to his confessor and canonical
superiors. If there has been anything wrong, the least a charitable
mind can do is assume it is confessed and forgiven. Which Christian is
going to say that John is a greater sinner than they are?=20

The crucial decision made by the first Christians was that Gentiles
could become Christians without being circumcised or obeying other
aspects of Jewish law. Some, like Peter, found this very difficult.
Then he had a dream in which he saw that Gentiles could be accepted
fully. Perhaps, like Peter, those opposed to this appointment will
dream about people of the same sex loving one another through life, and
Jesus saying: "This rejoices my heart; may it rejoice yours too."
Jesus said nothing against homosexuality. He did say something very
fierce against divorce. The church, however, has made provision for
divorced people to be married in church.=20

Gay and lesbian people find themselves with God-given affections for
people of the same sex. If celibacy is not the chosen path, then, John
has urged, the right course is a relationship of lifetime love.
Divorced people who remarry and gay and lesbian people who enter into
such relationships are in a similar position. God takes them and their
love, as it is, and blesses it.=20

The appointment of John as Bishop of Reading has been divisive and I
regret that. But looked at rationally, the arguments against it do not
stand up.

(C) Copyright acknowledged =A9 The Sunday Times 2003