Old July 3rd 03, 11:57 PM
Don Souter

Default Gay Priest on R4

As I type theres a prog on R4 about a Spanish priest who came out...

The Citizens
Paul Henley presents the fourth of a series of profiles of five
extraordinary Europeans, individuals whose actions or creativity have
made a difference to the people of their country, and sometimes beyond.

Today, Paul meets Jose Mantero who was a popular parish priest in
southern Spain until he gave a candid interview to a gay magazine. It
may be an open secret that there are many homosexuals in the
priesthood, but admitting that is one of the Roman Catholic Church's
greatest taboos. One outraged cardinal described Mantero's confession
as, 'A septic boil on the face of the Spanish church.' Not
surprisingly, Mantero was sacked last year, but he still has the
support of most of his flock.

Unfortunately I can't see either a repeat date or a listen again on the
web opportunity.