Old July 24th 03, 08:55 PM
Bjorn Westergard

Default Questions of a radio novice

1. I have noticed on many ham radios there is a DTMF keypad. What is
this for? I though DTMF was only used in phone systems. Its also the
Extended DTMF standard, which is unusual.

2. I like morse code. Is CW dead?

Signed,
Bjorn Westergard
Old July 24th 03, 09:22 PM
Elmer E Ing

DTMF Dual-Tone Multi-Frequency. (Or Touch-tone an AT&T trade name) similar
to telephone touch-tone pads.

DTMF is used all over Amateur Radio, for autopatching phone calls and for
remote control of a repeater by control operators. Autopatch codes are
usually available only to repeater members -- check with the club trustee
for these codes, rules, and procedures.

From your VHF/UHF radio you can access a local repeater -- send DTMF codes
to bring up an "AutoPatch" -- the repeater is now connected to a telephone
line --- now you can dial in the desired number by the touch tone pad.

Some radios have a paging function with DTMF to call a particular station
or group of stations. Appears this is similar to Alinco DSQ. Also some
radios have provision to memorize the autopatch codes and the long telephone
number, this allows your favorite numbers and emergency numbers to be
implemented at the touch of a single key or a few key presses -- again see
your manual.

Tell the party on the telephone that you are talking to them via amateur
radio phone patch and it is one-way (not like a cell phone) - I talk, you
listen, and vice versa. Using over is helpful. Most "civilians" have enough
movie experience to know how it works. When you're finished with the call,
say good-bye and have your party on the other end hang up. Then send the
disconnect command which on many autopatches is the "#" key. And identify
again, "W6XYZZ clear autopatch". Listen to make sure you successfully killed
the patch (the repeater may talk to you, or beep, or just drop)

CW is alive and well ---- just tune the CW portions of the band plans.
During contests -- it wall to wall CW signals

USA Band plan URL:
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg.../allocate.html

----

om...

Old July 30th 03, 03:40 AM
ku4uv

The DTMF keypad on HT's is primarily used for accessing phone patches on
repeaters that are equiped with them. It may also be used for accessing other
things on a repeater too. Contrary to what some people may tell you in this
newsgroup, CW is far from dead. I have an Extra class license and I am working
on improving my CW skills right now. I think I would probably use CW more than
voice once I become proficient in it. Good luck!

Mike KU4UV