Old September 24th 03, 02:23 AM
Dean Arthur

So if I come upon a burning house, I may then, and only then, modify my
radio to call for help. IF I have means to do so.

Disabled as I am, I guess I must watch house burn and take occupants
with it.

N'est ce pas?

Old September 24th 03, 05:23 AM
Michael Black

Dean Arthur ) writes:
So if I come upon a burning house, I may then, and only then, modify my
radio to call for help. IF I have means to do so.

Disabled as I am, I guess I must watch house burn and take occupants
with it.

N'est ce pas?

Yes, because that's the situation most people would be in. Most people
don't walk around with radio transceivers, so they'd run to a phone
and call it in. Or in recent years, use their cellphone.

As ham, you have the advantage of being licensed to use certain frequencies,
and likely have the radio to go with those frequencies. So you can
use it to call for help.

If you can't get through with amateur radio, that license doesn't
give you super-communication privileges.

The bit about "I better modify my radio just in case there's an
emergency" is just the talk of someone playing at emergency communication.
If you didn't have a ham license, you wouldn't be giving any of
this consideration. Yet, because you do, you think you have an absolute
need to call in an emergency, instead of maybe being helpful with
your hobby transceiver. If you can call in an emergency via ham
radio, that's great.

But the minute you go beyond amateur radio, not only do you
suggest that ham radio isn't useful in emergencies, but you step
down to being just like any other citizen. And they don't worry
about having bootleg radios around, just in case of an emergency.
They don't even think in terms of being a "great communicator".

Michael VE2BVW

Old September 24th 03, 12:00 PM
Guy P. Distaffen

??????
How would transmitting on FRS frequencies help in this situation? On
the FRS frequencies, the only people I can communicate with, besides anyone
that I have arranged to talk to, are the kids playing around with their toys
and they aren't going to help in a "burning house" situation.
However, ham frequencies are usually monitored and repeaters are more
common. There is always the possibility of autopatch or some other ham to
relay an emergency message.

Guy P. Distaffen

KB0SWS

Old September 26th 03, 03:29 AM
Denis

Emergency Communications

In a real or simulated emergency, a person operating radio apparatus in the
amateur radio

service may only communicate with a radio station that is in the amateur
radio service in order to

transmit a message that relates to the real or simulated emergency on behalf
of a person,

government or relief organization." SOR/2000-78

VE9DEN thank you.

"Alex de la Cuesta" wrote in message
I think most of the dual band HT can cover the FRS frequencies. I have
TH-F6A and VX-5R and they have this coverage for T/RX. The models that I
mentioned belongs to Kenwood and Yaesu respectively. Also Motorola, Icom,
Uniden, etc. has FRS radios mainly for FRS operation. Concerning the
legalities, just read the rest of the postings...

Have Fun and 73's
DY1ULE

"Neill Burkett" wrote in message
besides the radio shack htx 420 / are there any other radios, preferably
dual band tranceiver that can transmit on the FRS channels as well

Old September 26th 03, 03:29 AM
Denis

[...]

Dual Band Trunk Tracker Trunk Tracker Dual bander Equipment 0 September 14th 04 11:28 PM
Comet Dual Bander question Dan Antenna 2 March 11th 04 04:16 AM
Help, Digital TV UHF antenna needed for 21-69 channels ja Antenna 3 February 10th 04 12:22 AM