RadioBanter

-   -   Weird Mobile Problem (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/24126-re-weird-mobile-problem.html)

Dan/W4NTI August 13th 03 11:06 PM

Weird Mobile Problem

You obviously don't have a common ground. The only 'ground' you have is
from the antenna mount, via the coax shield, to your radio. When you hook
your ground post to the chassis you have extended the 'ground' and caused a
higher swr.

Try running a ground strap to a common metal point on the vehicle...if you
can find one these days. Check with ohm-meter and make sure as much of the
car as possible is connected together.

Of course you will probably have to retune the antenna now.

Dan/W4NTI

"Michael J. Donohue VE3YF" wrote in message
Hi:
I have suddenly developed a weird mobile setup problem. When
my IC-706 is in the car and antenna (HF) is hooked up, everything is
all is ok ie swr. But when I hook up the ground wire from the frame of
the car to the ground post I now get get high swr. I have checked the
antenna system with an analyzer and it appears ok. Any idea's???

73 De Mike
VE3YF

Michael J. Donohue VE3YF August 14th 03 12:00 AM

Hi:
Probably beneficial to clarify something, the antenna is a Hustler
attached to a 3 magnet mount type system. This type of system has
no physical ground, only capactive type ground.

73 De Mike
VE3YF

Dan/W4NTI August 14th 03 01:19 AM

"RFburns" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:06:05 -0500, Dan/W4NTI

wrote:
You obviously don't have a common ground. The only 'ground' you have is
from the antenna mount, via the coax shield, to your radio. When you

hook
your ground post to the chassis you have extended the 'ground' and

caused a
higher swr.

Why, Dan, you actually know what you are talking about this time!
Inhaling those nerve gas remnants has apparently caused your synapses
to reconnect in ways that lead to valid insights into RF problems.

Next, you'll be registering as a Republican.

Dang, I didn't mean to show off. Didn't mean to ruin my image, and all
that. And BTW I'm not registered but I vote mostly Republican.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI August 14th 03 01:21 AM

Changes nothing, just enhances the problem. My info is still accurate. If
you want to continue using that 'mount'. Fine. But you still need to
GROUND EVERYTHING on the chasis of the vehicle. That is STILL the problem.
Strap it all together.