Old September 20th 03, 03:11 AM
Gorilla Bananna

Default Appalling...

"Greg Courville" wrote in
message om...
I've been a ham for only a month now, and been using these groups for
about 6 weeks.
I really can't stand some of the things that go on here.

You should have been around 10 Years or so
ago when the 14.313 / 3894.5 wars were in full swing !!

Has anybody ever noticed that 8 out of 10 threads on this group (and
many other amateur radio groups) end in a flame war?
It's really shocking how people can start an argument over nothing
which can escalate to vicious strings of insults complete with
profanity, sexual references and terms such as "CBplusser" and
"Knuckle-Dragger". It's just unbelievable to me that while all of the
books talk about how wonderful and helpful hams are, a significant
number of them spend their time cutting each other down over random
issues.

You can thank R. Hollingsworth for all of the above goings on.

Ham radio used to have 3 or 4 frequencies where all the
kooks would migrate to, day and night. It used to be that
14.313 or 14.300 were the "daytime kook channels" and
3894.5 or 3.901 were the "nightime kook channels".
Everywhere else was clean and clear.

Look at this this way: Every part of town
needs it's 'low rent district'. A place where
the lower strata of society can live, reproduce
kill off and amuse itself, apart from, and more importantly
out of sight/mind from the rest of polite society.

This is EXACTLY what PURPOSE the above frequencies
served, and it did it's function quite well. When R.H. started
to apply the "heat", all the crazies migrated away from ham
radio to Internet Newsgroups....and now we are where we
are as a result of the same.

I see "newbies" come to these boards for help, and get cut
down by inconsiderate jerks who just feel like making people feel
stupid. How many hams didn't start out with a lower-level license?
People need to stop beating up on us poor no-coders. Don't they
realize that the new people look up to the old-timers? I must say that
after reading books about how hams help people all over the world and
are generally just a wonderful bunch, these groups have really changed
my view of the amateur radio community. I don't doubt that even this
thread will end in a violent exchange of profanities and become just
another flame war.

This is the unfortunate result of the foregoing circumstances
when all the kooks migrated from 75 and 20 Meters.
Best to just ignore them, what few of them are left that is.
(many of the "all time great goofballs" of the 14.313/14.300
Maritime Net wars are now SK, or off of ham radio completely
and all your left with is the latecommerswho don't have a clue
as to the history if the same which goes back to 1978 and
peaked around 1989 -92)

I'm afraid I just can't manage a 73 right now.
-KG6SGY

Old September 20th 03, 03:18 PM
Clint

Has anybody ever noticed that 8 out of 10 threads on this group (and
many other amateur radio groups) end in a flame war?

such is true with many newsgroups.. there are many more people lurking
and reading than posting, but when a post is made that incites the passion
in somebody to say something, they are quick to do it....

It's just unbelievable to me that while all of the
books talk about how wonderful and helpful hams are,

and they ARE for the most part... but what you're dealing with here
is a small portion, a minority of them that isn't really representative
of the whole. NG's are famous for having people with a chip on
thier shoulders to use as a pulpit for thier beliefs, since most other
forms of doing so have limits to what you can do or say.

You can thank R. Hollingsworth for all of the above goings on.

no, you can thank a free an open society for still allowing debate.

Clint
KB5ZHT