Old October 6th 03, 11:05 PM

Default Woman opens fire at church, killing her mother, pastor and herself

Turner Monumental AME church in Atlanta

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- A woman opened fire at an Atlanta church before
services started Sunday morning, killing her mother and the minister before
committing suicide.
Congregants of Turner Monumental AME Church said Shelia W. Chaney Wilson,
43, was agitated when she came to the church, in the Kirkwood neighborhood
on the city's east side.
Wilson apparently shot the Rev. Johnny Clyde Reynolds after he greeted her
and was walking away with his back to her, said Atlanta police spokesman
Sgt. John Quigley. Police believe Wilson then shot Jennie Mae Robinson once
in the head before turning the gun on herself.
One woman in the sanctuary at the time fled after the first shot was fired,
and the other took cover behind a pulpit, Quigley said. He said an assistant
pastor came in after hearing shots and found the three bodies on the floor.
Wilson's cousin, Nekeshia Burton, said Wilson went to the church early in
the morning to talk to Reynolds, 62.
"Something wasn't sitting right with her," Burton said. But Burton said
there were no signs that Wilson would become violent.
Assistant Pastor Christy Miller said the pastor had just finished teaching
Sunday school and was walking through the sanctuary when he stopped to talk
with Wilson and Robinson, 67.
Geraldine Andrews, the pastor's daughter-in-law and a friend of Wilson's
family, said Robinson recently took her daughter out of a mental health
facility.
Debra Mitchell, a member of the church, said Wilson had recently lost her
job.
"We knew she has some instability, but we didn't know it was this deep,"
Mitchell said.
Many remembered Robinson, who taught Bible study, as "a sweet individual,
always praying for other people, always doing missionary work," Mitchell
said.
The pastor was described as mild-mannered and generous.
"There was nothing too small or too great that he'd do for you," Miller
said.
The shootings happened before most worshippers arrived for church. When they
got there and heard what had happened, church members sobbed and hugged in
front of the building.
"We're such a loving church, a family church," Miller said. "We'll support
each other through this."