Old December 13th 03, 01:53 PM
Ghost Writer

Default Radio Shack out of ham business!

wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:46:16 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

In alt.ham-radio.mods Roger Gt wrote:

"Dean Arthur" wrote in message

BTW, you are correct that cash has always been an accepted form of
payment,
at least since it was established. It however, has never been

mandatory
that
anyone other than the government accept it.

Legally, it is totally up to the seller what form of payment is

valid
unless there is some sort of contract between buyer and seller.

--
Jim Pennino

But, if proprietor refuses my cash without a clearly posted policy in
window - I leave all items collected at counter and leave. Never go
back! I'm only one but message spreads.

Funny, I was told by an attorney that if cash is offered and refused in
payment of a debt, the debt is considered paid! Cash having been

refused,
the debt is no longer collectable. Where is it in the law that Cash

is not
acceptable for all debts public and private?

The law says the Treasury HAS to accept cash, but private transactions
are up to the parties involved.

You can pay your $10,000 Federal Income tax bill in pennies and the
Treasury HAS to accept it.

Before anyone brings up the old legend about pennies, the Coinage Act of
1965 specified that all U.S. coins are legal tender in any amount.

In lieu of a contract or notice, cash is concidered acceptable by default
and offers of cash genrally must be accepted in payment of a debt.

If your apartment rental contract says only postal money orders are valid
for payment, the landlord can refuse to accept cash or anything other
than a postal money order.

If a business has a big sign that says certain forms of payment are
unacceptable (i.e. bills larger than $20), the business has no legal
obligation to accept such.

If you sign up for a cell phone plan that says the bill will be payed
through a debit to your credit card, the phone company has no legal
obligation to accept anything other than a credit card payment.

So these online "stores" that refuse to accept cash, checks, money
orders, etc., are all legal? For example, many sellers on Ebay refuse
all of the above, and will only accept credit cards. Which, in my
case, they lose a sale, because I will not own a credit card. So,
they are screwing themselves out of sales and losing bidders (such as
myself) who would "up" the bid amount.
Amazon.com used to refuse anything but credit cards, and probably
still does. I never went back there after I found that out. And
then, there are these sellers and companies that will only take
Paypal, which is another thing I refuse to use.

According to what you are saying, this is legal, but they lose sales
that way, and serves them right! If I win a bid on Ebay, and pay with
a check, I never complain about them waiting to send the item till the
check clears. The wait is surely better than the hassles the credit
card companies cause a person.

Sam

TO SAM: I can hear it now, some will say - if it says no checks, and you
read it, why bid?? I TOO have listed no checks in my auctions BUT..... ONLY
BECAUSE...... # I hate to wait for it to clear. #2 I like to try to ship the
same day or next day and having to wait for a check to clear, just doesn't
make that possible. Both tie into the other. IF and it has happened, I do
receive a check, no big deal. I will deposit it and wait.

General response to above: And that has long been MY argument.... Some don't
have credit for some reason or another. Either because they don't qualify
for it, don't believe in it, or whatever. Maybe you haven't heard - MILLIONS
are in debt due to credit cards. Many may have filed Bankruptcy, therefore
not able to get it now. OR maybe they plain don't trust credit cards. WHAT
EVER their reasons. I have followed along with all the points of those in
response but I STILL have to believe that cold hard cash is acceptable. If
not, then same as those without credit, they just don't get my business. I
don't use my credit all the time. In my business, I'd rather give the
customer a discount for paying cash, than to accept credit cards and pay out
a fee to process them. It is much simpler to collect cash. I suppose it
boils down to whatever works for that business.. Each apparently has it's
pitfalls and the customers have to go accordingly. 6 of one and a half dozen
of the other. Each business/seller depending on the types of payments they
accept, will lose deals somewhere. "I" lose credit card purchases - in
store, but oh well! Online sales, I do take pay-pal. G.W.