Old January 5th 04, 09:23 PM
KØHB

Default Radio Designer software package

Several years ago ARRL marketed a WIN3.xx software package called "Radio
Designer" which was a 'lite' copy of a commercial RF design program.
Unfortunately the program does not run under 16- and 32-bit Windows
environments, and the OEM is not interested in entering into further
arrangements with ARRL.

Does anyone know of a similar program in a price range (under $500)
attractive to hams?

73, de Hans, K0HB

--
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~k0hb

Old January 5th 04, 09:54 PM
W3JDR

The company that made ARRL Designer (Compact Software) was bought by Ansoft.
They have greatly enhanced the capability, and the current offering is
available as a free student version he
http://www.ansoft.com/ansoftdesignersv/
There are also many other evaluation & student packages available on the net
for free. Check out this site as a starter:
http://www.rfengineer.cc/rftools.htm

Also, if you do an internet search on "RF circuit analysis software" or
something similar, you'll get lots of hits.

BTW, I run ARRL Designer under Win98SE and it's fine. What OS are you trying
to use it with?

Joe
W3JDR

hlink.net...

Old January 5th 04, 10:12 PM
KØHB

"W3JDR" wrote

BTW, I run ARRL Designer under Win98SE and it's fine. What OS are you

trying
to use it with?

Joe,

Thanks for all the resources. At my house ARRL Designer pukes and dies on
both WIN98 (500MHz P2) and WIN-XP (2.5GHz P-4) machines.

73, Hans, K0HB

Old January 5th 04, 10:32 PM
Leo

Hans,

ARRL's Radio Designer Version 1.5 (copyrighted 1998) claims that it
runs on both Windows 9x amd NT systems, and I can confirm empirically
that it operates on Win XP Pro as well - an excerpt from the included
Help file is below:

" ARRL Radio Designer 1.5, a Windows (3.1, 3.11, 95 and NT)-based
computer program, lets you create computerized models of audio, radio
and electronic circuits so you can see how they work--and make them
work better--without actually building them....."

IIRC correctly, the last version sold by the ARRL was 1.51. If you
are using an older version, perhaps you can find a copy of this one
somewhere? Was originally $150, should be a copy at a fraction of
that out there now that it is discontinued.......

73, Leo

Old January 5th 04, 11:33 PM
KØHB

"Leo" wrote

Hans,

ARRL's Radio Designer Version 1.5 (copyrighted 1998) claims that it

runs on both Windows 9x amd NT systems, and I can confirm empirically

that it operates on Win XP Pro as well - an excerpt from the included

Help file is below:

Thanks Leo,

Mine is the original version 1.0 and it doesn't run in Win98 or Win-XP Pro
or Win-XP Home.

I'll see if I can root out a copy of 1.5.

73, Hans, K0HB

Old January 6th 04, 08:01 PM
Phil Kane

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:12:15 GMT, KØHB wrote:

Thanks for all the resources. At my house ARRL Designer pukes and dies on
both WIN98 (500MHz P2) and WIN-XP (2.5GHz P-4) machines.

I hear you. I have several older (DOS) comm programs which puke on
faster machines - good ol' PCPLUS for one. That's why my 24/7 packet
circuit (for the local ARES/RACES group) runs on a separate (166
P1) machine - it slows down my Athlon XP 2000 and my P2 machines.

I'm trying to find a DOS emulator for Linux to see if I can run two
circuits at once now...,..

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Old January 6th 04, 08:13 PM
Dave Platt

I hear you. I have several older (DOS) comm programs which puke on
faster machines - good ol' PCPLUS for one. That's why my 24/7 packet
circuit (for the local ARES/RACES group) runs on a separate (166
P1) machine - it slows down my Athlon XP 2000 and my P2 machines.

I'm trying to find a DOS emulator for Linux to see if I can run two
circuits at once now...,..

A version of F6FBB is available which runs native on Linux, using the
Linux AX.25 networking support code. There ought to be no problem
running multiple TNCs (either real ones in KISS mode on serial ports,
or soundmodem versions), doing digipeating, etc. on Linux.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old January 7th 04, 12:00 AM
Jim Hampton

Phil,

Don't know if it will help, but how about this:
http://www.dosemu.org/
I have no idea if it will help or not; I'm thinking of putting Linux in one
of the boxes. A Google search of 'DOS emulators for Linux' yielded a ton of
hits, but you've likely already researched them.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
et...
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:12:15 GMT, KØHB wrote:

Thanks for all the resources. At my house ARRL Designer pukes and dies

on
both WIN98 (500MHz P2) and WIN-XP (2.5GHz P-4) machines.

I hear you. I have several older (DOS) comm programs which puke on
faster machines - good ol' PCPLUS for one. That's why my 24/7 packet
circuit (for the local ARES/RACES group) runs on a separate (166
P1) machine - it slows down my Athlon XP 2000 and my P2 machines.

I'm trying to find a DOS emulator for Linux to see if I can run two
circuits at once now...,..

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

---

Old January 10th 04, 12:35 AM
Phil Kane

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:13:16 -0000, Dave Platt wrote:

I'm trying to find a DOS emulator for Linux to see if I can run two
circuits at once now...,..

A version of F6FBB is available which runs native on Linux, using the
Linux AX.25 networking support code. There ought to be no problem
running multiple TNCs (either real ones in KISS mode on serial ports,
or soundmodem versions), doing digipeating, etc. on Linux.

Thanks for the pointer, Dave. I'm getting back into the *nix world
after being away from it for almost 10 years and I've forgotten more
than I remember, it seems.

I'll try to find F6FBB and see if I like it. I've become very
attached to the look and feel of PkGold over the last 10+ years that
I've used it, and of course in a pinch I can use a straight terminal
program....

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Old January 10th 04, 12:35 AM
Phil Kane

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:00:51 GMT, Jim Hampton wrote:

Don't know if it will help, but how about this:
http://www.dosemu.org/
I have no idea if it will help or not; I'm thinking of putting Linux in one
of the boxes. A Google search of 'DOS emulators for Linux' yielded a ton of
hits, but you've likely already researched them.

Thanks for the pointer - now I know where to get dosemu which I was
advised to try.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest