Old January 30th 04, 01:49 AM
Daniel J. Morlan

Default The highest-end all-band transceiver?

I was curious as to which company made the highest-tech all-band
transceiver? Part of me is thinking Yaesu, but... Is there a general
consensus at all? (haha, I know...)

Just wondering.

73, KG6TKA
Old January 30th 04, 06:09 PM
Daniel J. Morlan

Thanks very much for the information. That was very interesting to
look through. I was referring primarily, though, of todays models. I
apologize for the misunderstanding, though looking at the arrl's
reviews on these was a neat read.

73, KG6TKA

LRod wrote in message . ..
On 29 Jan 2004 17:49:51 -0800, (Daniel J.
Morlan) wrote:

I was curious as to which company made the highest-tech all-band
transceiver? Part of me is thinking Yaesu, but... Is there a general
consensus at all? (haha, I know...)

Well, you say "made" implying historically. I would suggest the Signal
One or the Collins KWM380 as two likely candidates. Because of the
quantum leap in microprocessing technology, neither compares to any
radio company's current top model, but in their day...

In your subject line, you say "highest-end" implying most expensive
(yeah, I know; more dollars doesn't necessarily mean better or higher
tech), but in the text you say "highest-tech." For high end, I suggest
the following candidates:

Back in the early 70s, the Signal One sold for around $2K, if memory
serves. That was a much bigger chunk of change then than ANY amateur
transceiver today.

In the 80s, the KWM380 sold for about the same, I think, and it was
STILL a huge chunk of change.

For high tech, there are many interesting permutations. A lot of it is
dependant on what sort of operating one does. Yaesu is certainly a
contender.

I seem to remember regarding the Icom IC781 as both a high-end and
high-tech breakthrough in its day.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Old January 30th 04, 08:30 PM
Jim Haynes

Then if you don't limit it to amateur equipment there is of course the
commercial and military stuff, some of which is being used in the amateur
service. I believe Vertex is the mil/comm arm of Yaesu, and there is
Harris, and there is some stuff marketed by Motorola. Some of this stuff
a ham might disdain because it is designed for use by fairly untrained
people, and doesn't have the controls you might want for, say, a CW contest.
There is some amateur interest in the Automatic Link Establishment protocols,
which are built in in mil/comm gear and have been implemented in computers
for use with ham gear that is computer controllable.
--

jhaynes at alumni dot uark dot edu