Old February 19th 04, 12:41 AM
Dave Holford

Tom Welch wrote:

I bought a new radio from Universal Radio
and got a radio that didn't work and was a
return from a prior sale.

THe people at Universal Radio restock used
radios and sell them as new.

**** UNIVERSAL RADIO, I will never do business
with these crooks again.

Tom Welch

Not bad, 90% approval.
Sounds like they can be trusted to do a good job.

Dave

Old February 19th 04, 03:18 AM
Eric F. Richards

"Rusty in Louisville" wrote:

I would like to get some opinions about
Universal Radio, Inc., located in Reynoldsburg, Ohio.

My reason for asking is they seem to never ship on time
and always have to back order, sometimes taking 30 days
or more to back order.

I've had similar experiences. You are told the product is in stock
until the order is completed, then they tell you the item is
backordered.

I did want to test a Ten-Tec RX-340 there, and when the lady who
answered the phone asked someone else if I could test the radio, she
was told, "hell no, that's a $4000 radio."

So I drove to Ten-Tec and was given free-reign to play with the radio.
I bought one, from Ten-Tec, two months later.

All that said, Universal is kinda the lesser of two evils in the
shortwave supply biz. I look elsewhere when I can, such as Ham Radio
Outlet or one of the myriad national mail-order scanner shops.

--
Eric F. Richards,
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940
Old February 19th 04, 05:47 AM
sdl

Rusty In Lousiville,

I had a negative experience and would *not* recommend Universal Radio.
Alternatively, I *would* recommend C Crane Radio and/or Grove Radio:
I have made satisfactory purchases from both.

Good Luck
From sdl in Maryland.

Old February 19th 04, 10:54 AM
Dwight Stewart

"GlennS" wrote:

(Tom Welch) wrote:
(snip) **** UNIVERSAL RADIO, I will
never do business with these crooks again.

But would you recommend them to others?

LOL. That was pretty good, Glenn.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/
Old February 19th 04, 11:01 AM
Sanjaya

"Tom Welch" wrote..
I bought a new radio from Universal Radio
and got a radio that didn't work and was a
return from a prior sale.

[snip]

What radio was that???
Not your Kaito KA1102 I hope!

Old February 19th 04, 11:07 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Rusty in Louisville" wrote:

I would like to get some opinions
about Universal Radio, Inc., located
in Reynoldsburg, Ohio. (snip)

I've had mixed results with Universal Radio - one order went well and
another didn't. I've had slightly better results with Burghardt
(www.burghardt-amateur.com) and their prices are often better. However,
since you added a shortwave newsgroup to your message, I should point out
that their primary focus is on Amateur Radio, with very little shortwave
equipment.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old February 19th 04, 05:14 PM
Otto Von Brassplate

"Rusty in Louisville" wrote in message
I would like to get some opinions about
Universal Radio, Inc., located in Reynoldsburg, Ohio.

My reason for asking is they seem to never ship on time
and always have to back order, sometimes taking 30 days
or more to back order.

Rusty in Louisville

I've ordered from them before and never had
any delivery problems.

Backorders are usually a function of the leadtime
from the manufacturer (all of them are in Asia)
and not the dealer. This issue cannot be helped.
It's the nature of supply vs demand.

Of late however, I've been ordering from
Texas Towers http://www.texastowers.com/
for ham related items and also Grove Enterprises
http://www.grove-ent.com/ for SWL items.

Both of these Dealers above were able to get me
a better price on a given item in several cases of
purchase over the quoted price from U.R.

Old February 19th 04, 08:35 PM
Dave Heil

Dwight Stewart wrote:

"Rusty in Louisville" wrote:

I would like to get some opinions
about Universal Radio, Inc., located
in Reynoldsburg, Ohio. (snip)

I've had mixed results with Universal Radio - one order went well and
another didn't. I've had slightly better results with Burghardt
(www.burghardt-amateur.com) and their prices are often better. However,
since you added a shortwave newsgroup to your message, I should point out
that their primary focus is on Amateur Radio, with very little shortwave
equipment.

I've had less than pleasant experiences with Universal. The staff seems
almost surly and almost equally unfamiliar with the equipment they sell.
Prices are higher, by quite a margin, over other dealers. My personal
preference is R&L Electronics in Hamilton, Ohio, just north of
Cincinnati.

Dave K8MN