Old March 14th 04, 06:42 PM
Paul_Morphy

Default And you think you're hot because you know American Morse

From the Kansas City Star:

"If you ever bump into Larry Woodworth around town, be sure to ask him who
he's been talking to lately.

"As a longtime amateur radio operator, Woodworth has access to the world at
his fingertips.

"With the push of some buttons and turn of some knobs on his radio, he can
talk to people as far away as Africa or Japan. And all it takes is one watt
of power, he says with a smile.

"Woodworth is the director of the Ensor Farmsite and Museum, a little known
museum on 183rd Street in southern Olathe that recently earned distinction
as a national historic place. The farm housed one of the country's earliest
amateur radio transmitting stations from 1917 to 1973.

"But not only does Woodworth oversee the museum as director, he continues to
keep amateur radio, also known as ham radio, operations alive within the
house. He even uses one of the original 80-foot radio towers used by the
home's former owners and residents, Marshall Ensor and his sister Loretta
Ensor. Both were ham radio operators.

"Marshall gained notoriety as a radio amateur during the 1930s when he
taught Morris Code over the airwaves to thousands of people across the
country and Canada."

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...8145808.htm?1c

Little known today, the Morris Code was copied in your head while dancing
with a chair.

"PM"

Old March 18th 04, 02:22 PM
Bob

I noticed that during Black Heritage week a black band came into our company
and played music. I particularly noticed the drummer and my mind began to
wander, thinking that the heritage goes way back to early primitive days
using this device to communicate over great distances, albeit within audible
range. We also know that sinusoid signals can focus the energy into a
narrower spectrum enhancing the range. Every boy scout knows that (in the
northern hemisphere) the green stuff grows on the north side of trees and
when cut down and placed face up, a more mellow sinusoid sound is made when
banging on the trunk. Hence the origin of the technology called the "Moss
Code". :-)

Bob