Old March 27th 04, 05:03 PM
Derek Carlino

Default HELP with Kenwood TH-28A Mod

I have a question about a mod I have been trying to make to my Kenwood
TH-28A. If anyone can help me please reply!

I contacted Kenwood and asked them how I could get my TH-28A to allow me to
transmit in the 155.000 range. I am a local police officer and would like to
use my own radio on duty because the portable radios we carry are horrible,
and our town refuses to buy us a repeater. I know my Kenwood has better
range than the ones we are issued at work.

I have read about the same mod from several different locations. It says to
remove diodes D8 and D10 and install one of them in D14. I have done this
and it opens up some new frequencies in the 340.000 range for Rx. That is
only one of the supposed outcomes of this mod. The mod is also supposed to
open up extended Rx/Tx from 136.000 to 178.000. I need to transmit on
155.070 but the radio still will not let me.

Has anyone had any luck with this mod? Or know of a different way I could
get my desired result? Any help would be much appreciated.

Derek
N1VTF

Old March 28th 04, 08:22 AM
Eddie Haskel

If you get to use your Ham rig on 155.070Mhz...can I use Headlight
"Wig-Wags" for passing slower cars?..Eddie

Old March 28th 04, 05:17 PM
Derek Carlino

Using my radio on that freq would be a temp. fix until I can get some
equipment that wouldn't put my life in danger everytime I'm trying to serve
the public. If you are really that concerned about it I suggest you contact
your local police department and make sure they have all the equipment and
resources they need to properly and effectively protect you and your family.
If they don't, then when it comes to election time support your police and
vote for someone who won't cut half a million dollars from the police budget
so they can lower taxes and be popular.

. com...

Old March 29th 04, 06:57 AM
Eddie Haskel

If your THAT upset about the radio they issue you, buy a Bendix,Vertex or
other COMMERCIAL radio and put it on your dept's channel. A 1 thru 4 channel
handheld is not that expensive.You have purchased a "Second Chance" vest, a
reliable firearm and other equipment? Why scrimp on the radio?
Your a "public servant" in the public eye. DO IT RIGHT. If your "Issue"
radio is a piece of ****, take it back to the kitroom and "BO" the damn
thing.You would do that to your "G-Ride" if it ran bad or was dangerous
right?
What if you get into something that goes "Sideways" and theres an
investigation? What if its found you were using a "ham rig" instead of a
"issue" radio? People (like Internal Affairs) just LOVE that ****.
Get the ***APPROVED** commercial radio..be safe, be happy....Eddie

Old March 30th 04, 06:24 PM
bunnydawg

Well the replies i've seen are soooooooooooo helpful. Deryk try www.mods.dk
and see if they have the mod to help you out on that. If not contact me off
list and i'll see what i can find.
Robert
VE3 something or other.
P.S. Governments are always trying to cut back and it's sad what they think
they can save money on. So let me know what they think when the low budget
radio system fails at a critical time.

news

Old March 30th 04, 11:13 PM
Derek Carlino

I've actually given up on this. I found the mod (Kenwood supplied me with a
website that explained it) and I made the modification to my radio. It did
not work. I then read the nice reply from that other polite gentleman who
pointed out to me that what I was trying to do was illegal. I am not
familiar with all of the federal communication laws and assumed that since I
legally own the radio, have a license to use it, and was trying to use it on
a frequency that I have a legal right to be using (through my department's
license and call sign), I did not think there would be a problem. Obviously
that guy thinks I'm trying to abuse my powers in some way. I'm simply trying
to ensure my safety.

Thanks anyway, but the mod (that I have found in about a dozen different
websites) doesn't work. Unless I did something wrong... but I don't think I
did. I guess I'll just have to wait until someone gets hurt or worse so my
town will finally buy us new radios or a repeater.

. ..