Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 22nd 04, 09:02 PM
JLB

Default Power cable routing, Ford Taurus

I am in the process of mounting my old Yaesu FT-4700 in my 2000 Ford Taurus
station wagon. The biggest problem encountered is running the power cable.
As many others do, I prefer running directly to the battery. The problem
with the Taurus, as with many other recent vehicles, is that there are no
spare holes in the firewall---at least not that I can find.

So, I went this morning and talked to a local Ford salesman that I happen to
know personally (of course buying our last 4 cars from him certainly helps)
and asked him how to do it. He didn't know, but took me to talk to one of
their mechanics (you've seen the type---middle age, hair starting to grey,
grease on shirt---the kind thats been working on cars since he was 15).
Evidently this guy also does radio installations for some of their dealer
vehicles.

The grass roots, doen in the trenches answer is this:

1. Locate the rubber boot around the steering column, here it goes
through the firewall. Using a screw driver or similar tool lift up the edge
of the rubber boot and shove your cable through. Seal around it with RTV.
2. Remove the glove box (he assured me that this is easy to do). There
is an unused grommet behind it, left over from when the car radio antenna
was mounted up front (at least on the Taurus).
3. Drill a hole in the firewall and mount your own grommet. Or use a
bunch of RTV.

His only other comment was to stay away from the exhaust manifold, as it
would melt the insulation. I might also add to stay away from moving parts,
too.

--
Jim
N8EE

to email directly, send to my call sign at arrl dot net