Old May 27th 04, 08:52 PM

Default Panasonic RF-3100 display problem

Folks,

I have a VFO/display problem with my Panasonic RF-3100 which I use
as a backup general coverage receiver.

I've had and used the radio for about 18 years. What I want to know
is could this be a simple `cleaning' `contact spray' solution, or
something more serious.

Here's the situation and symptom:

Radio has digital display and the bandswitch knob has 31 positions
covering 530-1600 Khz broadcast AM, 88-108 mhz FM, and 29 positions
to cover 1-29 mhz shortwave.

Up until a couple of days ago, display and performance was fine on
ALL bands.

However, all of a sudden, I lost the portion of the broadcast 88-108 mhz
FM band. At a point below 95.7 mhz the display turned to 9989.3 and
would not tune lower. Above that frequency the FM band works fine,
as does the full range of all the other bands.

Would anyone have a clue about why this is happening?

The FM broadcast band is not that important as long as all shortwave
bands work, but is it something that might deteriorate further?

Any comment or help would be most welcome.

Photo of unit at: www.nyx.net/~wboas/rf3100.jpg

Bill, KC0IZI