Old July 5th 04, 11:14 PM
Dr Faustus

Default How NOT to Fix Your Radio Tower

Truly a wanabe german rocket scientist..... ; )

"paco" wrote in message
I'm suprised this guy knew how to work the pen needed to fill out the

paper
work.
wow
I hope this guy owns a gun...

"fenian" wrote in message
. ..
(from the Darwin Awards list of Nominees)
Although this contestant did not kill himself (this time), we expect to

be
amused with the details of his demise in the near future. This man was in

an
accident and was therefore required to fill out an insurance claim form.

The
insurance company contacted him and asked for additional information.

This
was his response: "I am writing in response to your request for

additional
info for Block 3 of the accident reporting form. I put 'poor planning' as
the cause of my accident. You said in your letter that I should explain

more
fully and I trust the following details are sufficient.

"I'm an amateur radio operator and on the day of the accident, I was

working
alone on the top section of my new 80 foot tower. When I had completed my
work, I discovered that I had, over the course of many trips up the

tower,
brought up some 300 pounds of tools and spare hardware. Rather than carry
the now un-needed tools and materials down by hand, I decided to lower

the
items down in a small barrel by using a pulley, which was fortunately
attached to the gin pole at the top of the tower. Securing the rope at
ground level, I went to the top of the tower and loaded the tools and
materials into the barrel. Then I went back down and untied the rope,
holding it tightly to ensure a slow descent of the barrel. You will note

in
Block number 11 of the accident reporting form that I weigh only 150

pounds.
Due to my surprise of being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my
presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I
proceeded at a rather rapid rate of speed up the side of the tower. In

the
vicinity of the 40 foot level, I met the barrel coming down. This

explains
my fractured skull and broken collarbone. Slowed only slightly, I

continued
my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two
knuckles deep into the pulley.

Fortunately, by this time, I had regained my presence of mind and was

able
to hold onto the rope in spite of my pain. At approximately the same

time,
however, the barrel of tools hit the ground and the bottom fell out of

the
barrel. Devoid of the weight of tools, the barrel now weighed

approximately
20 pounds. I refer you again to my weight in Block number 11. As you

might
imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the tower. In the

vicinity
of the 40 foot level, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the

two
fractured ankles, and the lacerations on my legs and lower body. The
encounter with the barrel slowed me down enough to lessen my injuries

when I
fell onto the pile of tools and, fortunately, only three vertebrae were
cracked. I'm sorry to report however, that as I lay there on the tools,

in
pain, unable to stand, and watching the empty barrel 80 feet above, I

again
lost my presence of mind. I let go of the rope and..."

Old July 5th 04, 11:46 PM
Brenda Ann Dyer

groups.com...

"paco" wrote in message
I'm suprised this guy knew how to work the pen needed to fill out the

paper
work.
wow
I hope this guy owns a gun...

"fenian" wrote in message
. ..
(from the Darwin Awards list of Nominees)
Although this contestant did not kill himself (this time), we expect to

I've read this story many times, with only minor modifications regrarding
the workplace and setup.

Old July 6th 04, 12:04 AM

This is TRULY an old tired joke. Was funny years ago, but quickly losing its
humor...kinda like the joke of yelling "Hey! theres no toilet paper in here"
while in a dressing room at Walmart....

Old July 6th 04, 02:19 AM
Gary Schnabl

After reading the first 1/3 of the story, I instantly thought about the The
Bricklayer's Song which can be heard occasionally on the radio, especially
on St. Patrick's Day.

Gary Schnabl

"nitespark" wrote in message

wrote:
This is TRULY an old tired joke. Was funny years ago, but quickly losing

its
humor...kinda like the joke of yelling "Hey! theres no toilet paper in

here"
while in a dressing room at Walmart....

An interesting history and origin to this can be found at-
http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/bricks.htm

Old July 6th 04, 12:20 PM
Mike Yetsko

I don't know who's more stupid. The 'alleged' guy who wrote this BS
by modifying a story that's been floating around as an insurance claim
letter from the 60's, or the people who actually believe it.

The only intelligent guy in the whole mess is the unknown comedian
from probably the 50's that started the whole thing as the 'farm accident'.

. ..

Old July 6th 04, 12:22 PM
Mike Yetsko

wrote in message
news
This is TRULY an old tired joke. Was funny years ago, but quickly losing

its
humor...kinda like the joke of yelling "Hey! theres no toilet paper in

here"
while in a dressing room at Walmart....

No! no! In Wal-Mart you take peanut butter and go into the bathroom and
smear a bit on some toilet paper. Then when someone comes into the
next stall you flick the paper under the wall, then say "Excuse me, sorry.
Would you mind just kicking that back over here please?"

Old July 6th 04, 02:49 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , Mike Yetsko
writes
I don't know who's more stupid. The 'alleged' guy who wrote this BS
by modifying a story that's been floating around as an insurance claim
letter from the 60's, or the people who actually believe it.

The only intelligent guy in the whole mess is the unknown comedian
from probably the 50's that started the whole thing as the 'farm accident'.

It started life as part of a speech given by Gerard Hoffnung to the
Oxford Union (a debating society) in 1958. It was recorded by the BBC
and is available on a CD. In the original the unfortunate man is a
bricklayer explaining to his boss why he is absent from work.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old July 6th 04, 06:16 PM
Dave Holford

"M. J. Powell" wrote:

In message , Mike Yetsko
writes
I don't know who's more stupid. The 'alleged' guy who wrote this BS
by modifying a story that's been floating around as an insurance claim
letter from the 60's, or the people who actually believe it.

The only intelligent guy in the whole mess is the unknown comedian
from probably the 50's that started the whole thing as the 'farm accident'.

It started life as part of a speech given by Gerard Hoffnung to the
Oxford Union (a debating society) in 1958. It was recorded by the BBC
and is available on a CD. In the original the unfortunate man is a
bricklayer explaining to his boss why he is absent from work.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell

Must be older than that since I left the UK in 1956 and clearly remember
having heard it prior to that time.

Dave
Old July 7th 04, 03:53 AM
Mike Coslo

Mike Yetsko wrote:

wrote in message
news
This is TRULY an old tired joke. Was funny years ago, but quickly losing

its

humor...kinda like the joke of yelling "Hey! theres no toilet paper in

here"

while in a dressing room at Walmart....

No! no! In Wal-Mart you take peanut butter and go into the bathroom and
smear a bit on some toilet paper. Then when someone comes into the
next stall you flick the paper under the wall, then say "Excuse me, sorry.
Would you mind just kicking that back over here please?"

Ahhh, Crikey's, Mike! I was just sitting here munching on some peanuts,
innocently reading this thread!............shudder.......

You may sleep well tonight that your comment hit home big time - good
show! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -