Old July 13th 04, 12:47 AM
Aaron Jones

Default MFJ 1278 and usb ports instead of serial ports.

helmsman wrote:

Will a USB port figure out a device that was made for a serial port?
I have a terminal node controller for hf radio that was made for a
serial port. Will the USB port figure out the device? ie MFJ 1278.
Thanks.

If you mean how do you run a TNC using a serial port from a computer that only
has USB ports (like mine), then you will need to get a USB to serial adaptor.
They run around US$30 to $50 at most computer stores. Then you are back to just
making sure the com (com1 com2 ect) numbers and speed match between the computer
and TNC as you would when using a regular com port. I use this method for
computer control of my serial port TS870 HF rig as well as hot syncing my old
serial port PDAs. It should work (never any guarantees of course) with a TNC as
well.