Old August 15th 04, 07:56 PM
Donald James

Default Do Astronauts HAVE TO BE hams?

Please don't flame me if this has been addressed before - I just
couldn't find it.
Is it just a coincidence that astronauts happen to be hams or do they
have to become hams as part of their training? I ask because of how it
seems as though all of them are.

Thanks,

Old August 15th 04, 11:20 PM
L.

If memory serves me correct, there was a/were some program(s) which the
Astronauts participated in, and gladly got their tickets..... to show the
kids in school the things they can do, if they try. It was an "Educational"
thing.......... But if you can get to be an Astronaut which takes much
training, a ham ticket seems so little in comparison - to train for. Yes, I
suppose it does show you can do anything if you set your mind to doing it,
and make some goals..
NO... the ticket for Ham was/is NOT a prerequisite for being an Astronaut.
There were some Hams who were astronauts, such as John Glenn. I don't know
if he got his license before or after his space tour. This program started
only since the Shuttle launches and Space Stations. Their ticket also helps
them to stay in touch with others as well. Look at it this way, it won't
clog the frequencies they need to do the business at hand - when staying in
touch with family or friends who may have their tickets as well. Though they
used voice, they used packet as well.... E-mail without the phone line.
Hams in Space - I believe was the title of the program.... It "may" have
been a feeble attempt as well, to get a boost in Ham Radio, which wasn't as
yet faltering.
I'm not sure if they're still doing the Ham stuff in space or not. I
personally have not seen as much hoopla as of late about it. Like any idea,
it ran it's course. I think they still have Ham equipment on the space
station, but whether it is used, is anyone's guess. No hams, no use....
L.

news

Old August 16th 04, 12:29 AM
Michael Black

Donald James ) writes:
Please don't flame me if this has been addressed before - I just
couldn't find it.
Is it just a coincidence that astronauts happen to be hams or do they
have to become hams as part of their training? I ask because of how it
seems as though all of them are.

Thanks,

Astronauts as hams is a relatively new thing, unless some simply wanted
to be anonymous in this area.

Yuri Gagaran was a ham, and that was known relatively early on.

In CQ, about 1965, there was an article about Owen Garriot and his hopes
to get into space. He was a ham at that point, but but really I've not
seen mention of other astronaut hams back then or for a good long time.

Keep in mind that the early astronauts came from a pilot and military
background. That does not preclude them from being hams, but it would
seem many weren't interested.

As space flight became more common, with the shuttle, there was obviously
a shift away from that pilot and military background, to a scientific
background. That likely brought many out of the woodwork. I though
Owen had that background, and at the time of that 1965 article, time before
he got into space.

In 1977 or 78, there was a construction article by a ham who wanted to
get into the astronaut program. Indeed, in the preface he said he was
hoping that the fact he had built his own computer would be a plus
toward his being selected. Right now, I can't recall his name, but he
was one of the scientific astronauts, and he did of course get into space.

When there was Skylab, AMSAT had a proposal to put a station on board,
but that never happened (I've seen varying reasons for it not happening).

It was only once the shuttle happened that there was a chance to operating
amateur radio equipment from space. So up till that time, there would
be little reason to know who had a license and who didn't.

Once ham radio in space was part of the shuttle program, obviously it
was useful for those who were hams. By then, the wider swatch of society
getting into space likely provided some already licensed. Of course,
there would be no sense in doing it unless there could be hams in space.

And by that time, getting a license was relatively easy, with a code-free
technician license in the US. It was simple enough that likely many did
get licenses because they might as well. Since much of the program was
intended for educational purposes, there probably was incentive to get
the license. For that matter, they might have learned from scientists
in isolated areas (like the antarctic) that amateur radio was a way to
kill some time when there wasn't much to do in your off time, so they
saw a use in getting a license.

Micahel VE2BVW

Old August 16th 04, 07:32 PM
Steve Nosko

Lots of good info here, but I thought I read that somebody, perhaps a club,
decided that they would make it their job to get all the guys licenses.
--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

Old August 16th 04, 10:38 PM
Dan/W4NTI

It was called SAREX: Shuttle Amateur Radio Experiment.

Dan/W4NTI

"L." wrote in message
. verio.net...
[...]

news

Old August 17th 04, 02:06 AM
Rupert P Buttsnort

"Donald James" wrote in message
om...
Please don't flame me if this has been addressed before - I just
couldn't find it.
Is it just a coincidence that astronauts happen to be hams or do they
have to become hams as part of their training? I ask because of how it
seems as though all of them are.

Thanks,

Well..it HAS been rumored for a long time that most HAMS **ARE** "Space
Cadets"....oh ****...were we go.

The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
For EVERGREEN, COLORADO Hams SecondHandMarklin.com General 0 January 6th 04 03:24 AM
EVERGREEN, COLORADO Hams SecondHandMarklin.com Homebrew 0 January 6th 04 03:23 AM
EVERGREEN, COLORADO HAMS SecondHandMarklin.com Equipment 0 January 6th 04 03:22 AM
For HAMS in or near EVERGREEN, COLORADO SecondHandMarklin.com Dx 0 January 6th 04 03:21 AM