Old September 1st 04, 01:29 AM
DJboutit

Default WIFI DXin

I am looking to do some WIFI DX here in the setup I am looking to get 12 to
15 db gain antenna 30ft to 40ft singal booster/amp. How much range would I
expect to get with this setup also where can I get this stuff kinda cheap
online.

Old September 3rd 04, 12:50 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"DJboutit" wrote in message
om...
I am looking to do some WIFI DX here in the setup I am looking to get 12

15 db gain antenna 30ft to 40ft singal booster/amp. How much range would

expect to get with this setup also where can I get this stuff kinda cheap
online.

Perhaps this will be of value to you.

Dan/W4NTI

Wi-Fi Shootout in the Desert

By Kim Zetter | Also by this reporter Page 1 of 1

02:00 AM Aug. 03, 2004 PT

LAS VEGAS -- Mobile warriors having trouble making a wireless connection
across the hall might want to give some Ohio teens a call. This weekend they
were able to make a 55-mile Wi-Fi connection.

The teens from Cincinnati got an ovation at the DefCon hacker conference
here Sunday when organizers announced at the Alexis Park Resort that the
winners of this year's Wi-Fi shootout might have broken a world record for
ground distance in establishing a 55.1-mile Wi-Fi connection.

Today's the Day. DefCon, in its 12th year of gathering hackers, security
professionals and undercover intelligence agents from various countries,
held its usual list of extracurricular competitions to accompany talks on
subjects like hacking with Google and hacking RFID tags.

The Wi-Fi shootout, held for the second time, was among the most popular
contests. Six teams participated, including two women who won an award for
the most innovative antenna design, which consisted of an assortment of
cardboard, duct tape and a car sun visor. That's only slightly less
conventional than previous contestants, who built antennas from Pringles and
Hormel Chili cans. The jury-rigged antenna achieved a connection at 0.82
miles.

Contestants had to set up a pair of computers, get an 802.11b Wi-Fi
connection working on each one and then see how far apart they could place
the computers and still maintain a connection using homebrewed and
commercial antennas with and without amplifiers.

While one part of the winning team climbed a mountain with equipment,
another part of the team climbed a second mountain. Then the first group
shot a signal from one station to the second station with an encrypted
message provided by the judges. They logged increasing distances over two
days. (Wired magazine helped sponsor the contest.) Contest judges verified
the distances using GPS coordinates.

Last year, teams got caught in a two-hour traffic jam before they reached
the base camp, at 4,650 feet above sea level, then faced rain and
thundershowers in addition to blistering heat. This year they faced only the
heat and the absence of bathrooms and fresh beer for miles around.

Ben Corrado, Andy Meng, Justin Rigling and a fourth friend, Brandon Schamer
(who didn't accompany them from Ohio), won the greatest distance achieved
for an 802.11b network. The teens, two of them 18 years old and the other 19
years old, achieved 55.1 miles using homebrewed antennas on both ends along
with amplification, exceeding last year's winner by 20 miles. Then, when
they established that record, they turned off their amplifiers and broke the
record for an unamplified connection at the same distance. At the
announcement on Sunday, the crowd rose to its feet.

The Guinness world record for Wi-Fi connection stands at 310 kilometers
(about 192 miles), achieved in 2002 by Wi-Fi equipment maker Alvarion and
the Swedish Space Corporation. But the companies achieved the distance by
launching the equipment in a Swedish weather balloon, which many feel is not
the same as a ground measurement, since there are fewer obstacles to block a
WiFi signal in the stratosphere. The Swedish group also used amplification
to achieve its record, but the DefCon team maintained its 55.1-mile
connection even without amplification. Guinness World Records could not be
reached for comment in time for publication to determine whether the DefCon
team's efforts count as a distinct record.

Corrado told the crowd that they initially had no plans to attend DefCon but
decided to enter the contest 19 days earlier after a "business plan" they
devised fell through.

"We were going to war-drive around Cincinnati and find unencrypted wireless
access points," Corrado said. "We knocked on people's doors and asked if
(they) wanted us to encrypt them, and they just got all freaked out. So we
were searching for other things to do with the equipment we had just
purchased."

After Meng stumbled across the DefCon Wi-Fi shootout website, Corrado called
Rigling and said, "Hey, dude, we're going to Las Vegas in like 19 days!"

They already had a few 9-and-a-half-foot satellite dishes that they had
collected around Cincinnati over the last few years.

"We were planning on putting them up on towers behind our houses and sharing
our broadband Internet connections (with people)," Corrado said, to a chorus
of hoots and hollers from the crowd. But due to "parental restriction" they
scrapped that plan.

"We still had the dishes laying in our backyards and we thought, what the
hell. Why not?" Corrado said.

After collecting more equipment, they ran a test run, placing the stations
two-and-a-half miles apart, and got a connection that was much better than
any link they had ever established with laptops sitting side-by-side in
their bedrooms.

When Meng's dad, a radio frequency engineer, looked at the test-run data he
said, "Oh my God. They might have a chance at this. They might actually have
to go to Las Vegas."

Not without Justin's father, however. Greg Rigling drove them across the
country in a van, with the 10-foot satellite dish strapped to a trailer.
Then he spent two days driving around Nevada's mountains helping them get a
signal.

They might have achieved an even greater distance, Justin Rigling said, "but
there was no road left."

For their efforts, the teens received a stack of O'Reilly books, Best Buy
certificates and über-hacker badges, allowing the teens and Justin's father
lifetime admission to DefCon for free.

After the awards ceremony, the three were seen in a corner of the conference
room trying to sell their equipment to lighten the return trip home.

Have a comment on this article? Send it

More stories written by Kim Zetter

Page 1 of 1

----
Ads by Google EMC Broadband Antennas
HighEnd Log Periodic BroadBand EMC
Antennas sweep 300MHz to 10GHz
www.electrosmog.com
Yagi Antennas
Shop for Network Accessories!
Find, Compare and Buy
www.Shopping.com
Panorama Antennas
Mobile Phone, GPS, Tetra, Mobile
Radio, Wireless LAN Antennas
www.panorama.co.uk
HDTV Antennas
Ultra high gain antennas, purpose
built for HDTV reception Guaranteed
www.antennasdirect.com

----

Wired News: Staff | Contact Us | Advertising | RSS | Blogs | Subscribe
We are translated daily into Spanish, Portuguese, and Japanese
© Copyright 2004, Lycos, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Lycos Privacy Policy
and Terms & Conditions
Note: You are reading this message either because you can not see our css
files (served from Akamai for performance reasons), or because you do not
have a standards-compliant browser. Read our design notes for details.

WIFI DXin DJboutit General 0 September 1st 04 01:29 AM
WIFI DXin DJboutit Equipment 0 September 1st 04 01:29 AM
WIFI DXin DJboutit Equipment 0 September 1st 04 01:29 AM
WIFI DXin DJboutit Equipment 0 September 1st 04 01:29 AM
WIFI DXin DJboutit Equipment 0 September 1st 04 01:29 AM