Old November 17th 04, 05:43 AM
David Snyder Hale

Default Operating in Costa Rica?

Anyone have experience operating in Costa Rica? I am traveling there
next month and wondered about bringing a little HF rig with me. I'd
bring either my homebrew QRP (based on a Norcal 40), or use this as an
excuse to buy an FT-857. I don't know (yet) what I'd use for an
antenna. I'd be on a boat the whole time.

This post is primarily to solicit info on operating in the country of
Costa Rica, how I'd get any required permits, etc., but other comments
are of course welcome.

73,

--
Dave * N3WTK (DM04xf) * http://isi.mtwilson.edu * VE
Old November 17th 04, 01:33 PM
Dee D. Flint

"David Snyder Hale" wrote in message
Anyone have experience operating in Costa Rica? I am traveling there
next month and wondered about bringing a little HF rig with me. I'd
bring either my homebrew QRP (based on a Norcal 40), or use this as an
excuse to buy an FT-857. I don't know (yet) what I'd use for an
antenna. I'd be on a boat the whole time.

This post is primarily to solicit info on operating in the country of
Costa Rica, how I'd get any required permits, etc., but other comments
are of course welcome.

73,

--
Dave * N3WTK (DM04xf) * http://isi.mtwilson.edu * VE

Try calling the ARRL. They are generally up on this kind of info and will
probably be more accurate than info you can find elsewhere.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 18th 04, 03:38 AM
David Snyder Hale

Dee D. Flint wrote:

Try calling the ARRL. They are generally up on this kind of info and will
probably be more accurate than info you can find elsewhere.

Thanks, I did that, and they were very helpful. I still don't know the
answer yet (they just gave me contact info in Costa Rica), but I have more
than I had yesterday.

Suggestions on band to use?

--
Dave * N3WTK (DM04xf) * http://isi.mtwilson.edu * VE
Old November 18th 04, 04:17 AM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Have you seen Operating Abroad at URL:
http://www.qsl.net/oh2mcn/ti.htm
Lots of info from OH2MCN

For bands -- see a DX Packet Cluster or telnet

Shows TI on 20M and 40M several times -- a few on 15M

Packet Cluster Telnet at URL:
http://www.ng3k.com/Misc/cluster.html

Use the command sh/dx/21 TI
That's a space between the 21 and the TI
The 21 will give the latest 21 DX spots (a page full) for Costa Rica

--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be

Old November 18th 04, 02:17 PM
Dee D. Flint

Dee D. Flint wrote:

Try calling the ARRL. They are generally up on this kind of info and

will
probably be more accurate than info you can find elsewhere.

Thanks, I did that, and they were very helpful. I still don't know the
answer yet (they just gave me contact info in Costa Rica), but I have more
than I had yesterday.

Suggestions on band to use?

As always it depends on propagation but I'd try 15m, 17m and 20m for daytime
with 40m and 80m for night time. If you're up on your CW, 30m should be
good also. Naturally if the solar flux rises decently, 10m and 12m may open
and they would also be good in the daytime.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 18th 04, 07:39 PM
J999w

Suggestions on band to use?

Depending upon how long you are going to be there ... take along 6 meters !

Boy, if the band opens up to any part of the US ... you'll have a 'Clipperton'
sized pileup in no time!!

jw
k9rzz