Old December 13th 04, 07:36 PM
Fudge

Default Morse code BOREDOM

Yes, learning code is a bore. Once you master it though, it is a lot of fun.
When listening to a good sender it can be a positive experience. HANG IN
THERE!!!!

John
VA3JQ

Old December 13th 04, 08:27 PM
Avast

Yes studing for a drivers license is a bore, but you do it so you can
legally drive.

Same with the Morse code

--
Sailor

"

Old December 13th 04, 08:35 PM
James

Avast wrote:

Yes studing for a drivers license is a bore, but you do it so you can
legally drive.

Same with the Morse code

No, I studied driving so that I could legally DRIVE A CAR.

I am studying Morse code to satisfy a stupid old fashioned bureacracy,
then I will never use it again.

Big difference.

I do appreciate the words of wisdom though. I am holding my nose and
tenaciously working through it.

I just wish it wasn't so damned BORING!

Old December 14th 04, 01:01 AM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article o.net,
Da-man wrote:
It sounds like you're on your way to mastering the ole dog. Good luck to you
to finish it and pass the exam. I think the other gentleman will do ok too,
once he gets past the hurdle of "needing" to get started. Again, it can't be
emphasized enough, anything worth having, takes work. To be handed it on a
platter, takes all the meaning away from it. Accomplishment makes your life
worth something.

Look up Code-Quick. It is a different way of learing morse code. I struggled
for 29 years and never was able to learn it, and in a few months passed
the 13 wpm test and although I never did take it, could have passed the
20.

Morse code is like the old joke, "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?", "practice,
practice, practice".

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem Israel
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Old December 14th 04, 11:19 PM
Dee Flint

"Dave Bushong" wrote in message
[snip]
If you are trying to learn anything (CW or anything else), if you think
you will hate it, you will. Use positive self-talk (again, CW included,
but this works for anything you are trying to do): if you say "I am going
to enjoy this", you probably will! Or even "I can do this!" or "No one
can stop me from reaching this goal."

Next contest (if you are into contests), tell yourself "I will make 200
QSOs tonight. I can do it. I've been in contests before, and I know I
can do this."

For a first timer, I'd put the number a little bit lower. Perhaps 100 on
voice or 50 on CW. That way the person doesn't have to try to run the full
contest and doesn't get burned out from the effort.

I have found that I actually do better in the CW contests than voice even
though my CW skills are rather modest. My personal all time best was on CW
and was double the number of contacts from similar contests on voice.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 14th 04, 11:43 PM
Dave Bushong

Scroll down,

Dee Flint wrote:

For a first timer, I'd put the number a little bit lower. Perhaps 100 on
voice or 50 on CW. That way the person doesn't have to try to run the full
contest and doesn't get burned out from the effort.

Good point. Pick a number that is something you are happy with. My
point was that if you set a goal, you will know when you have reached
it, and if you plan to enjoy it, you probably will!

I have found that I actually do better in the CW contests than voice even
though my CW skills are rather modest. My personal all time best was on CW
and was double the number of contacts from similar contests on voice.

I think the fellow contesters are better behaved also. My own opinion.

Dave
kz1o
Old December 15th 04, 02:28 AM
Dee Flint

Dee Flint wrote:

For a first timer, I'd put the number a little bit lower. Perhaps 100 on
voice or 50 on CW. That way the person doesn't have to try to run the
full contest and doesn't get burned out from the effort.

Good point. Pick a number that is something you are happy with. My point
was that if you set a goal, you will know when you have reached it, and if
you plan to enjoy it, you probably will!

I have found that I actually do better in the CW contests than voice even
though my CW skills are rather modest. My personal all time best was on
CW and was double the number of contacts from similar contests on voice.

I think the fellow contesters are better behaved also. My own opinion.

Dave
kz1o

If you are awards hunting, I've found that the CW guys are also more
diligent about replying to QSL cards too, in my experience anyway.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 15th 04, 02:44 AM
Caveat Lector

The best QSLers are the JA's -- nearly 100% + Phone, CW, or DATA

And for WAS -- the novice band -- nearly 100% so my log book sez.

--
Caveat Lecter

Someone wrote

Old December 18th 04, 04:54 PM
Dave Bushong

James F. Chumbley wrote:
Try making recordings of code practice groups you yourself "send" using a
code practice oscillator. This way you learn what your own keying sounds
like.

Turn the lights down low and imagine that you are in Norway sending
essential messages to England's SOE. It sounds silly, perhaps, but it does
work.

One more thing. Try singing, yes, singing the letters as you hear them.
Singing uses an entirely different section of our brain's memory than does
listening to speech. Sounds absurd, but the Russians proved this by
observing a veteran of WWII, who could not speak because of an horrific
wound to a portion of his brain. The doctors were astonished to observe him
singing songs he learned as a child.

Jim, N6UF

Jim,

I've always believed that people who were musically-inclined (and
specifically, people who play music) were more easily able to learn the
code. I didn't have any reason to believe that, other than a
coincidence I noticed from the newcomers I've taught. By jove, maybe
you've got something there!

I learned CW as a cub scout and later got my novice ticket at age 13. I
also feel that when a person learns something as a kid, he/she will
remember it for life. Us older f*rts may not even be able to learn it
in the first place, much less remember it.

For example, where did I leave my car keys yesterday?

73,
kz1o
Old December 20th 04, 09:59 PM

Da-man, do you practice NLP?