Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 19th 04, 12:38 PM
Marley

Default TX and GFCI's

Hi Folks

I have a Kenwood TS50 on a boat. Works great.

One thing though, when transmitting at 100 watts the GFCI electrical
outlets open up when I key the mic. Doesn't seem to be a problem at 10
or 50 watts as far as I can see.

It's not realy a big deal but I am curious as to the cause. The coax
from radio to tuner is run in a tray with other cables including ac
power. No choice, it's the only reasonable path available. I wonder if
rfi from the coax is affecting the ac circuits?

I have cables for instruments and auto pilot passing through the same
area. THey seem unaffected. Quite a few people have suggested that I
might find my autopilot going into fits and turning the boat when I
transmit but fortunately that hasn't happened.

I wonder though why the GFCI's pop when I transmit.