Old December 30th 04, 05:56 PM
Bill

Default Battery Pack Opening- Replacement Cells? Help Needed

I have several Icom BP-83 and BP-84 battery packs for my IC-3SAT that
have died due to old age. I want to rebuild them. I can have a
"professional" do it for approaching $40 but suspect that the
replacement cells can be bought for ~$10. My problem is that I have not
figured out how to "bust" them apart. I've asked several folks who
know, and I always get a "grin" and the line--- its a trade secret. Tough!!

Well, that attitude whizzed me off, so now I'm on a quest to figure it
out. Should not be too difficult, but I know that if I just start prying
with a screwdriver and it was hot glued or something else, its going to
ruin it. I may find out, but I'll have a pile of plastic landfill. Is
the substance holding them together softened by heat-solvent or what?
So, before I attempt the project, I'd better ask this forum if anyone
knows and is willing to share the "tricks" how to open the plastic cases?

So has anyone opened the cases of the specific listed battery packs and
know how they are held together? Has anyone successfully "refurbished"
such packs?

Thanks,

Bill