Old January 29th 05, 11:57 AM
Thomas

Default Cable TV splitter and internet connection

I use Charter Communications as my ISP. At one outlet in the house I
have a CTV splitter to connect to both a TV and my cable modem.

Worked well for 2 years. Then, all of a sudden, no internet service.

Chater finally asked if there was a splitter. When removed the internet
service returned. Replaced with a new, more expensive splitter and all
is well with both TV and internet.

Charter said that splitters go bad. Rarely, but it does happen.

Wondering how a splitter can go bad. Isn't it a simple voltage divider
with an impedance match to 75 ohms? Are there capacitors in there that
could go bad?

Figured someone here would have opened a splitter at one time or another.

Thanks.

Thomas
Old January 29th 05, 03:06 PM
Buck

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:57:09 -0500, Thomas wrote:

I use Charter Communications as my ISP. At one outlet in the house I
have a CTV splitter to connect to both a TV and my cable modem.

Worked well for 2 years. Then, all of a sudden, no internet service.

Chater finally asked if there was a splitter. When removed the internet
service returned. Replaced with a new, more expensive splitter and all
is well with both TV and internet.

Charter said that splitters go bad. Rarely, but it does happen.

Wondering how a splitter can go bad. Isn't it a simple voltage divider
with an impedance match to 75 ohms? Are there capacitors in there that
could go bad?

Figured someone here would have opened a splitter at one time or another.

Thanks.

Thomas

I never opened one. I always believed they were intermeshed coils, or
basically an isolation transformer similar to an audio transformer
that allows one 8 ohm input and two 8 ohm outputs. Of course, CTV
splitters have much higher frequencies to deal with and are much
smaller. They also generally have a very high loss figure 7 db or
more.

--
Buck
N4PGW

Old February 13th 05, 05:50 PM
Mark

They may have moved the frequency of the carrier carrying your internet
serives to a higher frequency where your old spliiter may have had had
lots of loss. For a cable modem, the splitter has to work at low
frequencies as well for the return signal and any amplifiers that you
have in line must also work in reverse.

Mark