Old February 17th 05, 02:11 PM
Airy R.Bean

Default International Ham Radio Exam?

It has been let slip that discussions are underway to investigate the
possibility of an international exam for Ham Radio.

Now, it seems to me, that such discussions should not be
conducted by clandestine individuals (who may deceive
themselves into thinking that they are somehow important)
but should be brought right out into the open.

In consideration that Ham Radio is essentially a technical
pursuit (as distinct from CB Radio in its various guises, all
of which are identifiable from the use of shop-bought-and-
repaired rigs), what should such an exam have as its syllabus?
Should such a syllabus represent the way in which Ham Radio
is slowly going down the drain?.....

1. Elementary electrical circuits - R, L & C, configurations
in parallel, series and evaluations of resonance thereto.
2. Elementary active devices plus Class A, B, C & D amplifiers.
3. Oscillator circuits (although we might drop "Hartley" these days!)
4. Logic gates and digital counters.
5. Computer programming in assembler.
6. Mixers and multipliers.
7. How to negotiate with a CB shop to get 10% off the purchase
price.
8. How to whinge that Morse Code is irrelevant.
9. (Especially for the M3/CB Fool's Licence or the Technician/Novice
licensee) - How to SWAAAAARRRR the twig?
10. How to sneer at those who promote technical excellence but without
revealing one's own nugatory vacuousness?
11. The correct jargon to use, "My personal is.....", "What's your 20?",
etc.

Old February 17th 05, 02:45 PM
Spike

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:11:50 -0000, Airy R.Bean wrote:

It has been let slip that discussions are underway to investigate the
possibility of an international exam for Ham Radio.

Could you cite a reference for that?

I have seen references to "International Amateur Radio Exam", but not
for what you mention above.
--
from
Aero Spike
Old February 17th 05, 05:45 PM
Micky Taker

Airy R.Bean wrote:
It has been let slip that discussions are underway to investigate the
possibility of an international exam for Ham Radio.

Now, it seems to me, that such discussions should not be
conducted by clandestine individuals (who may deceive
themselves into thinking that they are somehow important)

Every time you open your mouth - you put your size ten in it!

Micky

--
E&OE (C) 2005 Micky Taker
Micky Taker accepts no responsibility for any personal injury or
Old February 18th 05, 08:54 AM
Airy R.Bean

The reference is to a posited _EXAM_ and not to a licence.

"Lloyd" wrote in message
A few countries already issue the International Amateur Radio
License (IARL). I hold an IARL from Chile.

73,

Lloyd

Old February 18th 05, 01:26 PM
K4YZ

Airy R.Bean wrote:
The reference is to a posited _EXAM_ and not to a licence.

Uh oh! We've seen that jangled English before...Could it
be...?!?!

Please no!

Steve, K4YZ

Old February 18th 05, 02:32 PM
Airy R.Bean

I didn't make _ANY_ typos.

"K4YZ" wrote in message
oups.com...
Airy R.Bean wrote:
Please explain yourself.....
"K4YZ" wrote in message
Airy R.Bean wrote:
The reference is to a posited _EXAM_ and not to a licence.
Uh oh! We've seen that jangled English before...Could it
be...?!?!
Please no!

Never mind.
You made several obvious typos that one previous poster used to
make regularly. I thought he perhaps returned under a new
nomme-de-guerre.

Old February 18th 05, 02:33 PM
K4YZ

Airy R.Bean wrote:

Please explain yourself.....

"K4YZ" wrote in message

Airy R.Bean wrote:
The reference is to a posited _EXAM_ and not to a licence.

Uh oh! We've seen that jangled English before...Could it
be...?!?!

Please no!

Never mind.

You made several obvious typos that one previous poster used to
make regularly. I thought he perhaps returned under a new
nomme-de-guerre.

Sorry!

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old February 18th 05, 06:39 PM
David Reed

"Airy R.Bean" wrote in message
It has been let slip that discussions are underway to investigate the
possibility of an international exam for Ham Radio.

In Which Language?

Now, it seems to me, that such discussions should not be
conducted by clandestine individuals (who may deceive
themselves into thinking that they are somehow important)
but should be brought right out into the open.

In consideration that Ham Radio is essentially a technical
pursuit (as distinct from CB Radio in its various guises, all
of which are identifiable from the use of shop-bought-and-
repaired rigs), what should such an exam have as its syllabus?
Should such a syllabus represent the way in which Ham Radio
is slowly going down the drain?.....

1. Elementary electrical circuits - R, L & C, configurations
in parallel, series and evaluations of resonance thereto.
2. Elementary active devices plus Class A, B, C & D amplifiers.
3. Oscillator circuits (although we might drop "Hartley" these days!)

as in J R Hartley

4. Logic gates and digital counters.

You've forgotten fuzzy logic

5. Computer programming in assembler.

No 9 Alive!

6. Mixers and multipliers.
7. How to negotiate with a CB shop to get 10% off the purchase
price.
8. How to whinge that Morse Code is irrelevant.

Now you're being morose.

9. (Especially for the M3/CB Fool's Licence or the Technician/Novice
licensee) - How to SWAAAAARRRR the twig?
10. How to sneer at those who promote technical excellence but without
revealing one's own nugatory vacuousness?
11. The correct jargon to use, "My personal is.....", "What's your 20?",
etc.

and you are?

Old February 18th 05, 07:17 PM
Caveat Lector

International organizations have a poor time regulating anything
So as we say in New York -- foo getta bout it

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)
Help The New Hams