Old March 24th 05, 09:04 PM
Simon VK3XEM

Jock. wrote:
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:59:45 -0000, "Brian Reay"
wrote:

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
nk.net...

It seems to me the ONLY person here having a problem is Brian.

The problem I have is understanding the bitterness I see over something
that, for most people, would rank below picking tomorrow's breakfast
cereal. . If someone wants to call VOIP 'amateur radio' so what?

Because it demeans the hobby and brings it down to a level akin to that
of CB. That doesn't bother you?

73 de Jock.

You must really think you are better than everyone else around you, you
really are a SNOB!

Get over it, whether you like it or not Amateur Radio is evolving, it is
changing. You can still play with your spark gap transmitter if you
want, nobody is going to stop you. So you are wasting your time trying
to stop others to enjoy the hobby of *AMATEUR RADIO* in the way they see
fit within the *GUIDELINES*.

--
The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/cli...IENT_NO=157452
VoIP http://www.TALKonIP.com.au/
Old March 24th 05, 09:18 PM
Chris Kirby

Simon VK3XEM wrote:
Walt Davidson wrote:
Simon VK3XEM wrote:

What is there to debate, there is a large network of IRLP nodes all over
the world on Amateur Radio which proves it is a popular and valid part
of the hobby.

There are plenty of CBers all over the world, but that doesn't prove
CB is part of amateur radio.

73 de G3NYY

You are clutching at straws now, only *LICENSED* Amateur operators can
use IRLP, so why bring CB into it.

Not true. You are making an assumption that only *LICENCED* amateurs
ever press a PTT and transmit. IRLP is no more secure from unlicenced
transmissions than amateur radio itself.

IRLP does *NOT* interfere with your use of Amateur Radio, so **** off
and leave it alone!

Debating is not one of your strong points, it appears.

73,
--
Chris
Old March 24th 05, 09:24 PM
Simon VK3XEM

Chris Kirby wrote:
Simon VK3XEM wrote:

Walt Davidson wrote:

Simon VK3XEM wrote:

What is there to debate, there is a large network of IRLP nodes all over
the world on Amateur Radio which proves it is a popular and valid part
of the hobby.

There are plenty of CBers all over the world, but that doesn't prove
CB is part of amateur radio.

73 de G3NYY

You are clutching at straws now, only *LICENSED* Amateur operators can
use IRLP, so why bring CB into it.

Not true. You are making an assumption that only *LICENCED* amateurs
ever press a PTT and transmit. IRLP is no more secure from unlicenced
transmissions than amateur radio itself.

IRLP does *NOT* interfere with your use of Amateur Radio, so **** off
and leave it alone!

Debating is not one of your strong points, it appears.

73,

Sure, anyone could key up and talk but that does *NOT* make them a
licensed Amateur though.

They can't just log in on a computer and start talking, that side is
VERY Secure.

Old March 24th 05, 11:31 PM
Martin, VK2UMJ

"Chris Kirby" wrote in message
Simon VK3XEM wrote:
Walt Davidson wrote:
Simon VK3XEM wrote:

What is there to debate, there is a large network of IRLP nodes all over
the world on Amateur Radio which proves it is a popular and valid part
of the hobby.

There are plenty of CBers all over the world, but that doesn't prove
CB is part of amateur radio.

73 de G3NYY

You are clutching at straws now, only *LICENSED* Amateur operators can
use IRLP, so why bring CB into it.

Not true. You are making an assumption that only *LICENCED* amateurs
ever press a PTT and transmit. IRLP is no more secure from unlicenced
transmissions than amateur radio itself.

IRLP does *NOT* interfere with your use of Amateur Radio, so **** off
and leave it alone!

Debating is not one of your strong points, it appears.

But if we look at it from that view then the whole of Amateur Radio should
be considered nothing more than CB...

Old March 25th 05, 12:10 AM
Ken Ward

Simon VK3XEM wrote:
Walt Davidson wrote:
Simon VK3XEM wrote:

[...]

In the UK... It is! Sadly......

Old March 25th 05, 12:18 AM
G-S

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

Not a question, a statement. If it is linked by ANY means other than
radio, it is not ham radio. End of discussion.

*looks outside at his antennas in the back yard*

*looks at the computer in front of him*

*looks towards the shed where the radios are*

So... becuase I remote control my radios from the house via Cat5E computer
link and use the on screen computer control in the house (where it's warm!)
it _isn't_ ham radio...

Doesn't sound very logical to me Dan *grin*

G-S VK3DMN

Old March 25th 05, 12:26 AM
G-S

The problem I have is understanding the bitterness I see over something
that, for most people, would rank below picking tomorrow's breakfast
cereal. . If someone wants to call VOIP 'amateur radio' so what?

Because it demeans the hobby and brings it down to a level akin to that
of CB. That doesn't bother you?

1. It doesn't demean the hobby, it widens it's appeal to a more inclusive
group.
2. CB isn't better or worse than amateur radio, it's just less technically
orientated.

So... no... not only does it not bother me, I approve of people calling VOIP
amateur radio.

G-S VK3DMN

Old March 25th 05, 12:31 AM
G-S

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

You STILL don't get it do you? Try addressing what I am complaining
about.

Yes we understand what you are _wrongly_ saying.

Or can't you do so without spinning things way out of wack?

No, that is you!

ONE MORE
TIME;;;;;;IT IS NOT HAM RADIO. IT IS INTERNET CONNECTED TO RADIO. DON'T
CALL IT HAM RADIO.

ONE MORE TIME! IT _IS_ HAM RADIO, THE INTERNET BIT AND THE RADIO BIT
COMBINE TO MAKE AN IMPROVED RADIO SYSTEM.

AND YES I WILL CONTINUE TO CALL IT HAM RADIO BECAUSE IT IS.

Can we stop shouting now *grin*

G-S VK3DMN

Old March 25th 05, 12:33 AM
DieSea

"Simon VK3XEM" wrote in message
Dan/W4NTI wrote:
"Simon VK3XEM" wrote in message

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Brian Reay" wrote in message

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Brian Reay wrote:

Well, in that case why don't you call it something else. Then come
back
when someone makes you call it by the name that upsets you.

Untill then, 'mellow out'.

Dan, why are IRLP fans so quick to tell people to shut up and go away
when someone disagrees with them. Are people like you and "concerned
amateur" typical of what we might meet if we sample the mode?

I don't think anyone is saying "shut up" etc. I'm saying unless ILRP
impacts
you, why worry?

Over the years I've come across many amateurs who hated some aspect of
the
hobby- packet, anything computer based,........ Not one ever seems to
have
found a niche they really do like.

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk

There you go putting words into my mouth again Brian. I never said I
hate IRLP. I said I don't like it being called Ham Radio.

And I don't much care if you like my opinion or not.

So there.

Dan/W4NTI

What I don't like is the way you are putting down a legitimate part of the
hobby. Whether you like it or not it IS a legitimate part of Amateur
Radio.

--
The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/cli...IENT_NO=157452
VoIP http://www.TALKonIP.com.au/

You STILL don't get it do you? Try addressing what I am complaining about.
Or can't you do so without spinning things way out of wack? ONE MORE
TIME;;;;;;IT IS NOT HAM RADIO. IT IS INTERNET CONNECTED TO RADIO. DON'T
CALL IT HAM RADIO.

Dan/W4NTI

You *MUST* be a licensed Amateur to use IRLP, you *MUST* use a radio to
access IRLP. Therefore it is getting *LICENSED AMATEURS* on air.

It in *NO* way interferes with your on air activities so leave it alone
and enjoy your hobby without *INTERFERING* with others.

--
The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/cli...IENT_NO=157452
VoIP http://www.TALKonIP.com.au/

Simon

When your IRLP or EchoLink Node or even EchoIRLP node is up and running PLEASE let
us all know .

IF at the moment you are active on either EchoLink or IRLP you could also advise
us of the node numbers you use.

Finally **** Listed , a QUAINT turn of Phrase being a dim and ignorant POM I'm
having problems fathoming that one out.

With Very Best Regards

DieSea

Old March 25th 05, 12:35 AM
G-S

Jock. wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:03:42 +1100, Simon VK3XEM
wrote:

What is there to debate, there is a large network of IRLP nodes all over
the world on Amateur Radio which proves it is a popular and valid part
of the hobby.

There are probably thousands of 6 MHz (and other) pirates and
illegal CB-ers around. Are you saying they too are a valid part of
the hobby?

No the defining issue is if it's a licenced amateur sending lawfully, the
method of sending is irrelevant.

G-S VK3DMN