Old March 25th 05, 12:42 AM
wonderer

"DieSea" wrote in message

"Simon VK3XEM" wrote in message
Dan/W4NTI wrote:
"Simon VK3XEM" wrote in message

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Brian Reay" wrote in message

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Brian Reay wrote:

Well, in that case why don't you call it something else. Then come
back
when someone makes you call it by the name that upsets you.

Untill then, 'mellow out'.

Dan, why are IRLP fans so quick to tell people to shut up and go
away
when someone disagrees with them. Are people like you and "concerned
amateur" typical of what we might meet if we sample the mode?

I don't think anyone is saying "shut up" etc. I'm saying unless ILRP
impacts
you, why worry?

Over the years I've come across many amateurs who hated some aspect
of
the
hobby- packet, anything computer based,........ Not one ever seems
have
found a niche they really do like.

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk

There you go putting words into my mouth again Brian. I never said I
hate IRLP. I said I don't like it being called Ham Radio.

And I don't much care if you like my opinion or not.

So there.

Dan/W4NTI

What I don't like is the way you are putting down a legitimate part of
the
hobby. Whether you like it or not it IS a legitimate part of Amateur
Radio.

--
The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/cli...IENT_NO=157452
VoIP http://www.TALKonIP.com.au/

You STILL don't get it do you? Try addressing what I am complaining
about.
Or can't you do so without spinning things way out of wack? ONE MORE
TIME;;;;;;IT IS NOT HAM RADIO. IT IS INTERNET CONNECTED TO RADIO.
DON'T
CALL IT HAM RADIO.

Dan/W4NTI

You *MUST* be a licensed Amateur to use IRLP, you *MUST* use a radio to
access IRLP. Therefore it is getting *LICENSED AMATEURS* on air.

It in *NO* way interferes with your on air activities so leave it alone
and enjoy your hobby without *INTERFERING* with others.

--
The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/cli...IENT_NO=157452
VoIP http://www.TALKonIP.com.au/

Simon

When your IRLP or EchoLink Node or even EchoIRLP node is up and running
PLEASE let
us all know .

IF at the moment you are active on either EchoLink or IRLP you could also
advise
us of the node numbers you use.

Finally **** Listed , a QUAINT turn of Phrase being a dim and ignorant
POM I'm
having problems fathoming that one out.

it's called blocking sender

Alf VK5ZKL

With Very Best Regards

DieSea

Old March 25th 05, 12:50 AM
DieSea

Simon

When your IRLP or EchoLink Node or even EchoIRLP node is up and running
PLEASE let
us all know .

IF at the moment you are active on either EchoLink or IRLP you could also
advise
us of the node numbers you use.

Finally **** Listed , a QUAINT turn of Phrase being a dim and ignorant
POM I'm
having problems fathoming that one out.

it's called blocking sender

Alf VK5ZKL

With Very Best Regards

DieSea

Thanks for the explanation Alf , being an elderly Pom it takes time for things
like that to sink in . Perhaps SENIOR MOMENTS will take over and I'll have
trouble remembering that.

Again Thanks

DieSea .

Old March 25th 05, 12:54 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"nana" wrote in message
http://www.TALKonIP.com.au/

You STILL don't get it do you? Try addressing what I am complaining
about. Or can't you do so without spinning things way out of wack? ONE
MORE TIME;;;;;;IT IS NOT HAM RADIO. IT IS INTERNET CONNECTED TO RADIO.
DON'T CALL IT HAM RADIO.

Dan/W4NTI

There are mighty linked repeater networks across the USA. These are Ham
Radio?
If I choose to link two Ham Radio Repeaters via a landline - This isn't
Ham Radio? Even though two Ham Radio service areas may be served?

I've been using my computers on PSK31, but one is in the family room,
connected to this computer via CAT5 cable, and then to my HF radio. Is
this NOT Ham Radio?

You guys have a very NARROW view of what constitutes Ham Radio. It appears
that NOTHING less than a 100% Radio circuit is good enough for you, yet if
you analyse systems around the world, MANY are not 100% Radio.

Brad.

First off....with your example of a repeater linked to another via land-line
AND NOT VIA THE INTERNET THAT CAN BE ACCESSED BY OTHERS is perfectly fine.
Narrow view or not. You sir, are attemting to confuse the issue and
comparing Apples and Oranges. Sorry, that won't play. Again...stick on
the subject.

You know dang well what the differences are. If you don't then you need an
education.

Dan/W4NTI

Old March 25th 05, 12:55 AM
Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Brian Reay" wrote in message

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Brian Reay wrote:

Well, in that case why don't you call it something else. Then come
back
when someone makes you call it by the name that upsets you.

Untill then, 'mellow out'.

Dan, why are IRLP fans so quick to tell people to shut up and go away
when someone disagrees with them. Are people like you and "concerned
amateur" typical of what we might meet if we sample the mode?

I don't think anyone is saying "shut up" etc. I'm saying unless ILRP
impacts
you, why worry?

Over the years I've come across many amateurs who hated some aspect of
the
hobby- packet, anything computer based,........ Not one ever seems to
[...]

How is that "LICENSE" proven? Who or what checks it? How is that done?

Dan/W4NTI

Old March 25th 05, 01:00 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Kate" wrote in message

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Martin, VK2UMJ" wrote in message
"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
k.net...

[SNIP]

Gawd Almighty you Ausies are a thick headed bunch, ain't ya?

Ham RADIO is communications with a RADIO or a RADIO system.

INTERNET is communications with a NETWORK of interconnected computers
organized in such a manner to send "packets" of data world-wide.

Do you see any mention of RADIO there?

Yes, as a matter of fact, because the correct name for IRLP is Internet
Radio Linking Project. See www.irlp.net Note that is a USA website
describing IRLP, not an Aussie site...

A quote from the irlp.net website:

"The aim of this project is to reliably and inexpensively link amateur
radio systems without the use of RF links, leased lines, or satellites."

So, next question?

--
Martin, VK2UMJ

Not a question, a statement. If it is linked by ANY means other than
radio, it is not ham radio. End of discussion.

Dan/W4NTI

So basically, what you're saying is that if you have a few repeaters
linked together by a landline, then those ham repeaters aren't ham radio?
Or if a club likes to control a repeater site via a phone line, then that
too isn't ham radio?

I used to be very active on the TCP/IP packet nets, using my VHF radio and
TNC to link to a gateway and on into the world wide converse net. Again,
the very thing you say isn't ham radio.

I'd say your definition is way too pure for the rest of us hobbyists, and
we'll all keep right on enjoying the part of our *hobby* that we find we
like the best, and if that just happens to be IRLP, Echolink, SSTV, CW,
ATV or whatever other mode/method then, sorry, that's the way it is. Deal
with it.

Kate vk4xyl

Your right to a point Kate. I'll give you that LL linking of repeaters are
indeed ham radio, so would be control of a repeater or say a remote base.
Thats also fine.

However using the internet where anyone on the net can access the system is
not ham radio. Its a radio connected to the WWW. Thats not ham radio.

I am not saying the idea and the system is not good, or it's bad. I'm
saying stop calling it ham radio. How about a new term...such as
INHAM....."Internet Ham" perhaps?

Dan/W4NTI

Old March 25th 05, 01:05 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message

I can understand where you're coming from, Stan. But unfortunately no
self-respecting contester would have anything to do with something as
banal as an "IRLP Contest".

73 de G3NYY

--
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com

Tell me about it.

Dan/W4NTI

Old March 25th 05, 01:15 AM
MW0GUV

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 00:33:16 -0000, "DieSea"
wrote:

Finally **** Listed , a QUAINT turn of Phrase being a dim and ignorant

POM I'm
having problems fathoming that one out.

Australians seem to have a preoccupation with lavatorial matters. I
discovered that a lot of them think it's amusing to fart in company
too. (An unpleasant trait that they share with Cardiff people of both
sexes!)

73 de G3NYY

So which part of the establishment is to blame for that Walt? could it be
the CBers, the RSGB. Ofcom or the M3's....

Surely you don't have anything new to say you boring old bastar*

Old March 25th 05, 01:21 AM
DieSea

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message

I can understand where you're coming from, Stan. But unfortunately no
self-respecting contester would have anything to do with something as
banal as an "IRLP Contest".

73 de G3NYY

--
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com

Tell me about it.

Dan/W4NTI

Local Node OP has Pulled "PLUG" until late April , says he's got better things to
do than listening to "you are 001599 in Timbuktu your report pse om gd lk in the
contest " .

By the way aren't all contest reports 599 .

Now if it was a bit more skilled rather than punching buttons and 27 days less
then he may have a different idea.

Still interested in finding out the node numbers Simon is using

Regards to all (Well Almost )

DieSea

( A mere Jait )

Old March 25th 05, 01:26 AM
G-S

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

I am not saying the idea and the system is not good, or it's bad. I'm
saying stop calling it ham radio.

Why should we stop calling it what it is though?

How about a new term...such as
INHAM....."Internet Ham" perhaps?

How about not!

G-S VK3DMN

Old March 25th 05, 01:29 AM
G-S

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

First off....with your example of a repeater linked to another via
land-line AND NOT VIA THE INTERNET THAT CAN BE ACCESSED BY OTHERS is
perfectly fine.

So why does it make a difference if the land line link is internet land line
or non internet land line?

Narrow view or not. You sir, are attemting to confuse the issue and
comparing Apples and Oranges. Sorry, that won't play. Again...stick on
the subject.

No, they are two different sorts of apples!

You know dang well what the differences are. If you don't then you need
an education.

A differnce that makes no difference _is_ no differnce :-)

G-S VK3DMN
Dan/W4NTI