Old March 23rd 05, 12:22 AM
Mike Coslo

Brian Reay wrote:

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
ink.net...
Oh I don't think so Brian. Spark was a MODE not a different system of

sending the information.

CW is continous wave. I.E. still sending information by the same method.
I.E. over the airwaves now called RADIO.

Do you see the difference yet?

I do. And so does anyone else with a brain.

Look...new technology is fine. Old technology is also fine. But these

two

things ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE. Radio is Radio. Internet is Internet.

Get

it?

What I don't 'get' is why people get so 'up tight' over such things?

If people enjoy VOIP systems fine, if they don't, fine. Ditto Morse, Packet,
Phone, Repeaters, .........

I've yet to see a facet of the hobby that has adversely impacted my
enjoyment- even if is a facet that leaves me cold.

What is this urge to insist everyone does it 'your way'?

I believe Dan and myself are *not* insisting that people do things
*our* way. IIRC, Dan is mainly CW and at least some SSB.

I do probably 90 percent PSK31, a VHF net check-in, and some SSB
contesting.

Have he or I been insisting on people using our favorite modes?

I know that my objection to the internet modes is *not* their
existence, but that so many of their adherents want to call them
"radio". And having a contest only exacerbates the silliness.

And yes, a person uses their radio to access the network injection
point. Not much of a challenge, that.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 23rd 05, 12:24 AM
Mike Coslo

Brian Reay wrote:

Well, in that case why don't you call it something else. Then come back
when someone makes you call it by the name that upsets you.

Untill then, 'mellow out'.

Dan, why are IRLP fans so quick to tell people to shut up and go away
when someone disagrees with them. Are people like you and "concerned
amateur" typical of what we might meet if we sample the mode?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 23rd 05, 12:32 AM
Brian Reay

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

I know that my objection to the internet modes is *not* their
existence, but that so many of their adherents want to call them
"radio". And having a contest only exacerbates the silliness.

Hmm, and what someone else calls it bothers you? AND they want a contest.
The cheek of it!

This a akin to "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin." Take a
chill pill.

And yes, a person uses their radio to access the network injection
point. Not much of a challenge, that.

So don't do it yourself, seek out something you find rewarding rather than
worry how others get their kicks.

Oh I agree that it isn't much challenge but so what? Who are 'they' harming?

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk

Old March 23rd 05, 12:40 AM
Brian Reay

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Brian Reay wrote:

Well, in that case why don't you call it something else. Then come back
when someone makes you call it by the name that upsets you.

Untill then, 'mellow out'.

Dan, why are IRLP fans so quick to tell people to shut up and go away
when someone disagrees with them. Are people like you and "concerned
amateur" typical of what we might meet if we sample the mode?

I don't think anyone is saying "shut up" etc. I'm saying unless ILRP impacts
you, why worry?

Over the years I've come across many amateurs who hated some aspect of the
hobby- packet, anything computer based,........ Not one ever seems to have
found a niche they really do like.

Old March 23rd 05, 12:55 AM
Ashley VK3HAG

Only the nominated Participating Nodes may be used for the contest. However,
nodes that are connected to Reflectors that are Participating (ie a UK Nov
node) still count, but only the Participating Nodes may be connected to by
contesters, therefore it is fair to all stations, as only those nominated
in each country are participating nodes. Note that new nodes are added daily
to the participating list.

"DieSea" wrote in message

It there fore puts the UK amateur at a dis-advantage as soon as the

licensee
walks
of the property , the node should be turned off.

DieSea

I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to go against the regs. But what has
that got to do with the IRLP contest? My point was with so many active
nodes out there the load would be spread out and traffic I would expect
be very minimal on any given node.

It certainly doesn't make the "PLAYING FIELDS LEVEL"

Our local Node op has been away this weekend helping at the Blackpool

Rally so his
nodes been down since Friday , its just gone up.

In some respect we're lucky as he's an elderly bloke with mobility

problems , he
doesn't get out much , so when he's up its on , he's still p***ed off with

this 24
/ 7 x 28 day contest .

The Next comment you make is that its radio to radio , that's not 100 %

correct ,
I know of at least 3 VK's , 2 VE's and at least 5 G / M stations that

don't have a
radio connected to their node . Its quite easy to confirm that comment

about G / M
stations if you know where to look.

DieSea.

Old March 23rd 05, 01:02 AM
Concerned Amateur

In article , Mike Coslo wrote:

Brian Reay wrote:

Well, in that case why don't you call it something else. Then come back
when someone makes you call it by the name that upsets you.

Untill then, 'mellow out'.

Dan, why are IRLP fans so quick to tell people to shut up and go away
when someone disagrees with them. Are people like you and "concerned
amateur" typical of what we might meet if we sample the mode?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Because you are a **TROLL**. Trying to make links that dont exist.

Old March 23rd 05, 01:03 AM
Simon VK3XEM

Mike Coslo wrote:

Brian Reay wrote:

Well, in that case why don't you call it something else. Then come back
when someone makes you call it by the name that upsets you.

Untill then, 'mellow out'.

Dan, why are IRLP fans so quick to tell people to shut up and go
away when someone disagrees with them. Are people like you and
"concerned amateur" typical of what we might meet if we sample the mode?

- Mike KB3EIA -

The argument I see here is some appear to be *AGAINST* IRLP therefore it
should not be allowed on the Amateur Bands, and that is what is annoying
me the most.

My attitude is that any Amateur should be free to operate what ever
band, mode, etc. they wish provided they are not interfering with others
without being hounded by others simply because they don't believe that
mode (or what ever you want to call it) should not be on Amateur Radio.

There is plenty of spectrum for us to *SHARE*, to pursue the hobby in
the way each of us want to. Although I have not operated CW myself I
hope that allocations remain for those that do make use of this part of
our hobby. Just because I don't operate a given mode does not mean that
I should believe it be abolished.

The great thing with our hobby as I see it is that there are so many
different aspects of it to explore, IRLP is just one of them!

--
The views I present are my own and NOT of any organisation I belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/cli...IENT_NO=157452
VoIP http://www.TALKonIP.com.au/
Old March 23rd 05, 01:05 AM
Concerned Amateur

In article , Brian Reay wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Brian Reay wrote:

Well, in that case why don't you call it something else. Then come back
when someone makes you call it by the name that upsets you.

Untill then, 'mellow out'.

Dan, why are IRLP fans so quick to tell people to shut up and go away
when someone disagrees with them. Are people like you and "concerned
amateur" typical of what we might meet if we sample the mode?

I don't think anyone is saying "shut up" etc. I'm saying unless ILRP impacts
you, why worry?

No, I told him to shut his freckle and that his **TROLLING** was not
appreciated. If he doesnt have anything positive to say about it,
then go and play elsewhere where he can contribute

Old March 23rd 05, 01:08 AM
Simon VK3XEM

Ashley VK3HAG wrote:
Only the nominated Participating Nodes may be used for the contest. However,
nodes that are connected to Reflectors that are Participating (ie a UK Nov
node) still count, but only the Participating Nodes may be connected to by
contesters, therefore it is fair to all stations, as only those nominated
in each country are participating nodes. Note that new nodes are added daily
to the participating list.

That certainly knocks down a lot of the flamers!

Old March 23rd 05, 02:02 AM
Ashley VK3HAG

I choose to use IRLP as it allows me to connect to hams interstate and
overseas, until I can get HF gear put up, which seeing as we are moving, not
much point until at new QTH later this year. Personally, as a newbie to ham
radio, (but long time cb'er and scanner user) it is a great way to get one
interested in amateur radio. When I have a HF set-up I will have a list of
contacts overseas I have made via IRLP and try to contact them on HF.

**As a newcomer to ham radio IRLP has made me want to get my HF gear, hf
antennas etc sooner, ie IRLP has encouraged me to make international
contacts on HF one day**

As for the IRLP contest I think it's great, because I've never been in any
AR contest, although after listening for a while I did give out some numbers
for the John Moyle Field Day. To me the IRLP contest is a great way to have
fun and at the same time learn about contesting, as a newbie to AR I've
never being in a contest before, nor did I know what they were all about.
Yes, I do read, but if your new to ham radio, all that information on the
various AR contests in AR magazine didn't make any sense until I started
participating in the IRLP contest, now I've got some idea of how a contest
works, instead of having to learn in the middle of a pile-up. (Like the one
at the beginning and end of each three hour block of the JMFD, here in
Melbourne the 2m/70cm FM call channels where very alive, to say the least)
Note also that I intend to try many different aspects of ar besides FM
repeaters, FM simplex and IRLP.

**As a newcomer to ham radio the IRLP contest meant that I participated
(gave out about 15pts as Home Station) in the John Moyle Field Day, which I
wouldn't have done without the previous two days practice at contesting on
the IRLP mode, as I didn't have a clue about contesting**.

So, IRLP is bad because it's introduced a new ham to contesting and
international contacts. I'm so disappointed that IRLP taught me these
skills. Not.

Now, I'm looking forward to the next Australian contest that includes V/UHF
FM and I'll participate, as I will in HF contests when I have HF gear. The
IRLP Contest has provided the opportunity for me to be introduced to, and
learn about contesting in a contest that is relaxed-pace one, so unlike a
'pile-up' on HF with a newcomer trying in vain to get through, I've got some
practice at calling "CQ Contest" and responding.

And the last one for a 'newbie'. No I don't know CW. Will I learn CW? Yes.
After a while, once I have been a ham for a while I will start to practice
CW. I do have a key and I do listen to CW practice transmissions from time
to time.

The contest goes for a month so there would be no 'pile ups', so the end
would co-incide with the IRLP Conference in Las Vegas, and the operation of
Node 6392 by VK3JED in Las Vegas! Further, the Node Owners of all the
Participating Stations have given the Bass IRLP Group permission to use
thier nodes for the contest. If the knockers took a look at the
Participating Nodes list they would see that the UK and USA have many more
nodes listed than other countries.

Should I try packet and satellite work? How about ATV? I'd ask, but too many
people in here will say "that's not ham radio" so I'll try them all anyway
and see what takes my fancy

PS:Any VK3's with a packet TNC to sell or know where to get one from?

.

"Simon VK3XEM" wrote in message
. ..