RadioBanter

-   -   Simplex calling frequencies (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/67761-simplex-calling-frequencies.html)

Mr. Obvious March 28th 05 12:46 PM

One wonders why you are wasting your time on a ham-related newsgroup if
you feel such contempt for the service. Are you even licensed?

Caveat Lector March 28th 05 04:13 PM

"M.S." wrote in message

SNIP
However, I find the same thing on the local repeaters when I pass through,
although I maintain up-to-date programming in my radio and I can hear the
repeaters unkey, I don't get any answers to my calls. So it's not just
simplex.

I have noticed the same thing about repeaters when traveling. On one
occasion, I was persistent and a local came back and sed "Lots of folks here
sonny, we just don't have the time to entertain travel folks, Mostly we talk
about corn prices and hog disease."

And I am aware of some Mom and Pop repeaters -- set up for them and they
never answer others.

CL

Caveat Lector March 28th 05 04:29 PM

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
"M.S." wrote in message

SNIP
However, I find the same thing on the local repeaters when I pass
through, although I maintain up-to-date programming in my radio and I can
hear the repeaters unkey, I don't get any answers to my calls. So it's
not just simplex.

I have noticed the same thing about repeaters when traveling. On one
occasion, I was persistent and a local came back and sed "Lots of folks
here sonny, we just don't have the time to entertain travel folks, Mostly
we talk about corn prices and hog disease."

And I am aware of some Mom and Pop repeaters -- set up for them and they
never answer others.

CL

Funny they always answer my XYL though (;-)
CL

cl March 28th 05 04:34 PM

"M.S." wrote in message

SNIP
However, I find the same thing on the local repeaters when I pass
through, although I maintain up-to-date programming in my radio and I
can hear the repeaters unkey, I don't get any answers to my calls. So
it's not just simplex.

I have noticed the same thing about repeaters when traveling. On one
occasion, I was persistent and a local came back and sed "Lots of folks
here sonny, we just don't have the time to entertain travel folks, Mostly
we talk about corn prices and hog disease."

And I am aware of some Mom and Pop repeaters -- set up for them and they
never answer others.

CL

Funny they always answer my XYL though (;-)
CL

That is funny, but not surprising. The female voices ALWAYS seem to get a
reply. But ya know, those "female" voices can be awfully deceiving. What you
hear, isn't always what you see. Nor does it divulge what may come along
with it.

cl

Caveat Lector March 28th 05 04:46 PM

o.verio.net...

"M.S." wrote in message

[...]

LOL
Being there are only two females in Wyoming -- works everytime.

Yep be careful what you visualize - could be the spittin image of your
Mother -In -Law (;-(

Dan/W4NTI March 29th 05 12:36 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...

KØHB wrote:
K0CKB and I just returned from an 8-week RV vacation. During the

8,500 mile
trip we continuously monitored 146.52, and had our calls and the

statement
"Monitoring 146.52" prominently visible on the rear of our coach.

Most of our
travel was on busy Interstate highways, and in/near populous areas

including
Minneapolis, DesMoines, Kansas City, Topeka, Wichita, OKC, DFW, Waco,

Austin,
San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Brownsville, ElPaso, Las Cruces, Globe,

Phoenix,
Flagstaff, Tucson, Las Vegas, and points between.

Not once were we called on 146.52.

At every population center we announced "K0HB (or K0CKB) monitoring

Five Two",
often more than once.. On only one occasion (thanks WK5C) did we

receive a
reply.

Is .52 broken?

Perhaps they forgot to disable thier K0HB filters?

Had you been in SE Tennessee and I had seen you, you would have
gotten a call. But on the same note, there's been quite a few
occassions where I've passed/been passed by a vehicle with Amateur tags
(or some other "callsign" display), and had my hails go unanswered.

On the other hand, I've gotten several calls, mostly from
18-wheeler Amateurs. Lots of those big rigs are Hams...guess they got
tired of the 10-4 good buddy crowd.

Glad you're home safe, Hans.

73

Steve, K4YZ

I remember whenever you passed a ham or saw his tag that if you sent four
beeps spaced and two more beeps on your horn you would get a friendly
response.

I don't bother anymore.

Dan/W4NTI

Evan Platt March 29th 05 05:24 PM

On 28 Mar 2005 03:46:46 -0800, "Mr. Obvious"
wrote:

One wonders why you are wasting your time on a ham-related newsgroup if
you feel such contempt for the service. Are you even licensed?

Who are you replying to?

Tony VE6MVP March 30th 05 07:55 PM

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 05:47:02 GMT, "KØHB"
wrote:

K0CKB and I just returned from an 8-week RV vacation. During the 8,500 mile
trip we continuously monitored 146.52, and had our calls and the statement
"Monitoring 146.52" prominently visible on the rear of our coach. Most of our
travel was on busy Interstate highways, and in/near populous areas including
Minneapolis, DesMoines, Kansas City, Topeka, Wichita, OKC, DFW, Waco, Austin,
San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Brownsville, ElPaso, Las Cruces, Globe, Phoenix,
Flagstaff, Tucson, Las Vegas, and points between.

Not once were we called on 146.52.

FWIW I'm a new ham and called on 146.52 frequently when out of
repeater range on a recent trip from Edmonton to Vancouver and
Seattle. I chatted with one ham in the Jasper National Park on the
Yellowhead highway and we met in person at the Mount Robson viewpoint.

I also chatted with another ham at a small town, Golden, BC, which
didn't have any repeater.

I almost would've like to have a tape recorder spitting out my call
sign every 10 minutes. smile

Tony

Tony VE6MVP March 30th 05 07:56 PM

wrote:

Not once were we called on 146.52.

Once I have my house antennas setup, waiting for the snow to melt off
the roof, I will be monitoring 146.52 all the time while at home.

Tony

Dan/W4NTI March 31st 05 12:47 AM

wrote:

[...]

Canadians are generally friendlier then Americans. I remember taking a road
trip all around Fla a few years back. Couldn't find a sole to reply.

In fact I used to LIVE in Ft. Lauderdale Fla. Same thing, snobs.

Dan/W4NTI