Old April 28th 05, 08:25 PM
Fudge

Default My New Rig

Since my old rice box, the Yaesu FT-101E died, I have searched in vain
for a new HF transceiver. The general consensus amongst the Amateur Radio
fraternity is that the latest state of the art transceivers are overpriced,
unreliable junk. I have looked at the latest offerings from Yaesu and
Kenwood and although the specs look quite good, the performance and
reliability of these technological marvels is less than ideal. I want a
minimum of 100 Watts on HF and correspondingly less on 6M and 2M. I would
like to run the transceiver from my computer desktop and have about 2K
Canadian funds to spend. No Kenwood or Yaesu gear for this boy. Find me a
transceiver.

Farmer John
VA3JQ

Old April 28th 05, 10:20 PM
KØHB

"Fudge" wrote

I want a minimum of 100 Watts on HF and correspondingly
less on 6M and 2M. I would like to run the transceiver from
my computer desktop and have about 2K Canadian funds
to spend.

The Ten-Tec Model 538 "Jupiter" at about $1,290 USD would be hard to beat in
your price range. Bear in mind it doesn't carry 6M or 2M "baggage", so you get
a radio specifically engineered for HF without any tacked-on VHF bands to
compromise the design.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 29th 05, 12:01 AM
Hal Rosser

Looks like you need to make a run to the next Hamfest and keep a lookout for
Swans, Hallicrafters and Collins radios - or do like my dad - make one
yourself.

. ..

Old April 29th 05, 12:09 AM
KØHB

"Hal Rosser" wrote

Looks like you need to make a run to the next Hamfest and keep a lookout for
Swans, Hallicrafters and Collins radios

No Swan, Hallicrafter, or Collins ham rig ever sold will compare in features or
performance to any current $1,000 or higher-priced HF rig from Yaesu, Icom,
Ten-Tec, or Kenwood.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 29th 05, 02:57 AM
Mike Coslo

Fudge wrote:

Since my old rice box, the Yaesu FT-101E died, I have searched in vain
for a new HF transceiver. The general consensus amongst the Amateur Radio
fraternity is that the latest state of the art transceivers are overpriced,
unreliable junk.

Ya gotta quit hanging out with those frat dudes, Fudge. Modern radios
are amazing pieces of technology.

I have looked at the latest offerings from Yaesu and
Kenwood and although the specs look quite good, the performance and
reliability of these technological marvels is less than ideal.

How so?

I want a
minimum of 100 Watts on HF and correspondingly less on 6M and 2M. I would
like to run the transceiver from my computer desktop and have about 2K
Canadian funds to spend.

Coverage from HF to VHF? ( I assume that you also want 160 meter MF
too) Computer control means you will have to buy a rig that qualifies as
"modern"

No Kenwood or Yaesu gear for this boy. Find me a
transceiver.

I can agree with that part! I'm partial to Icoms myself.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 29th 05, 02:58 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Fudge wrote:
Since my old rice box, the Yaesu FT-101E died, I have searched in vain
for a new HF transceiver. The general consensus amongst the Amateur Radio
fraternity is that the latest state of the art transceivers are overpriced,
unreliable junk. I have looked at the latest offerings from Yaesu and
Kenwood and although the specs look quite good, the performance and
reliability of these technological marvels is less than ideal. I want a
minimum of 100 Watts on HF and correspondingly less on 6M and 2M. I would
like to run the transceiver from my computer desktop and have about 2K
Canadian funds to spend. No Kenwood or Yaesu gear for this boy. Find me a
transceiver.

Farmer John
VA3JQ

If you can do without the WARC bands, the Kenwood TS-520 is one reliable
and solid transceiver, and can be had for a *lot* less then any of the
newer junk.
Old April 29th 05, 04:25 AM
Dee Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Fudge wrote:

[...]

We all have our personal preferences. All I run is Kenwood gear.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old May 2nd 05, 01:13 PM
OT

"Fudge" wrote in message
. ..
Since my old rice box, the Yaesu FT-101E died, I have searched in vain
for a new HF transceiver. The general consensus amongst the Amateur Radio
fraternity is that the latest state of the art transceivers are

overpriced,
unreliable junk. I have looked at the latest offerings from Yaesu and
Kenwood and although the specs look quite good, the performance and
reliability of these technological marvels is less than ideal. I want a
minimum of 100 Watts on HF and correspondingly less on 6M and 2M. I would
like to run the transceiver from my computer desktop and have about 2K
Canadian funds to spend. No Kenwood or Yaesu gear for this boy. Find me a
transceiver.

Farmer John
VA3JQ

Sounds like someone who would like an IC 706. OT