Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 6th 05, 03:52 AM
Jim

Default repeater questions

Me and my Dad have been thinking about a ham certificate for quite some
time. After trying cb and murs for use around the city we pretty much
gave up on the radio hobby due to unreliability.

2m repeaters sound like a lot of fun and have coverage all around our
town. I really don't have much to talk about with strangers but enjoy
listening occasionaly.

What we were wondering if theres any way to use a repeater and only have
our squelch open up when we call each other. of course once I am on the
air I want to hear everything. I dont really want to hear chattering all
day long just waiting for a contact. I hope this makes sense what I'm
asking.

From a practical point of view home and cell phones are much better but
thought the radio hobby could be fun.

We also dont like the idea of our names being public. is there any way
that you can keep your name and address away from nosey people?

thanks for your time.