Old October 2nd 05, 03:05 AM

Korbin posted:

"Well FM on 2, 6 or 10m is not used for Field Day, I don't know why but
its
not."

First, likely I missed in in the original post, but I don't recall him
mentioning the use of FM modulation. In every field day and emergency
preparedness I have ever participated in, a.m was the accepted
standard.

Second, the use of a 75-watt transmitter with a collinear raised
30-feet above the ground on field day? Evidently TOM doesn't grasp the
spirit of the event which combines with the fact that he isn't a very
experienced ham operator. Then too, the ham community has eroded
considerably since these exercises were devised. In fact, a competent
ham should have been nearly able to work multiple states with the rig
he has described.

Anybody left alive here that remembers the 2M Gooney Box, the rig that
was the standard for ham emergency communication for more years than I
personally care to remember? Its final was a 2E26; Its antenna was
typically a quarter-wave stub (a piece of stiff wire poked into the UHF
connector on the top of its box or an antenna consisting of a half-wave
piece of tv twin line. Its output was anywhere from 5-watts to 10-watts
run into that improvised antenna. When battery powered on field day,
the output of the rig was arguably between 3 and 5-watts.

Still on field day exercises conducted in preparation for an emergency,
even the low power rigs with a minimal antenna could garnish at least
50 contact on field day, but this was during the 1970s. Ham radio has
seriously declined since that time. This is why I ceased to renew my
K2JEZ General Class license around 1982.

Read into my above comments what ever you want.

Harry C.

Old October 2nd 05, 04:00 AM
LRod

On 1 Oct 2005 19:05:09 -0700, wrote:

Korbin posted:

"Well FM on 2, 6 or 10m is not used for Field Day, I don't know why but
its
not."

First, likely I missed in in the original post, but I don't recall him
mentioning the use of FM modulation.

He talked about 146.52 simplex which might as well be mentioning FM.

In every field day and emergency preparedness I have ever participated
in, a.m was the accepted standard.

It's been decades since you've participated, then, because FM pretty
much took over the 2M band in the '70s. There's still a lot of weak
signal work--SSB and CW, but AM? It can hardly be found. And it hasn't
been the accepted standard since the '60s, maybe.

Second, the use of a 75-watt transmitter with a collinear raised
30-feet above the ground on field day?

What are you talking about? Neither of those parameters sound at all
out of line at FD. For VHF you definitely want the antenna as high as
possible. The only thing wrong with the 75 watts is the power required
to make it run. 25 watts would be more than enough.

Evidently TOM doesn't grasp the spirit of the event which combines
with the fact that he isn't a very experienced ham operator.

Apparently neither are you.

Then too, the ham community has eroded considerably since these
exercises were devised. In fact, a competent ham should have been
nearly able to work multiple states with the rig he has described.

I rest my case. With no enhancement, there are a lot of places where
you'd be hard pressed to work out of state with the setup you think is
too much. South Florida would certainly be one of them.

Anybody left alive here that remembers the 2M Gooney Box, the rig that
was the standard for ham emergency communication for more years than I
personally care to remember?

There were probably more Twoers than Gonsets in the '60s. Yes, I
remember.

Its final was a 2E26; Its antenna was
typically a quarter-wave stub (a piece of stiff wire poked into the UHF
connector on the top of its box or an antenna consisting of a half-wave
piece of tv twin line. Its output was anywhere from 5-watts to 10-watts
run into that improvised antenna. When battery powered on field day,
the output of the rig was arguably between 3 and 5-watts.

And you're saying you were able to work multiple states with that
without enhancement?

Still on field day exercises conducted in preparation for an emergency,
even the low power rigs with a minimal antenna could garnish at least
50 contact on field day, but this was during the 1970s. Ham radio has
seriously declined since that time. This is why I ceased to renew my
K2JEZ General Class license around 1982.

K2, huh? New York City? That explains why you were able to work
"multiple states." You have, what, six of them within 100 miles? Try
that in any state west of the Appalachins.

Read into my above comments what ever you want.

Whiny old timer, out of touch with reality, loss of memory of old time
ham radio, ****ed because of Incentive Licensing, lets other people
determine his enjoyment of a hobby, still hanging around the amateur
radio newsgroups despite being unlicensed for nearly a quarter
century.

Yeah, what a credible story.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Old October 3rd 05, 03:14 AM

LRod posted:

"K2, huh? New York City? That explains why you were able to work
"multiple states." You have, what, six of them within 100 miles? Try
that in any state west of the Appalachins."

No, central New Jersey. Dhuh!

"Whiny old timer, out of touch with reality, loss of memory of old time

ham radio, ****ed because of Incentive Licensing, lets other people
determine his enjoyment of a hobby, still hanging around the amateur
radio newsgroups despite being unlicensed for nearly a quarter
century."

No Mr. Dork, I simply lost interest in ham radio when it became
infested with clueless CB types who only hold ham tickets because they
crammed their way through the licensing exams. When store purchased
commercial rigs appeared, the ham bands became cluttered with these
types to the extent that one QSO after another led to nothing but
uninformed, mindless blathering as it remains today.

However, I am forever grateful to my ham radio experience because it
led the way for me to obtain my First Class Commercial ticket, my job
as chief engineer of a Trenton, NJ radio station, and ultimately paid
for my BS level college education at Drexel University. The knowledge
acquired though my ham activities also qualified me for a coop job as a
transmitter designer at Barker & Williamson (the B&W 5100 xmtr was one
of my projects and later the Army's T368 transmitter.) My ham radio
and educational background ultimately led me to a 15+ year career with
Raytheon developing military electronics.

When active as a ham, the majority of my time was spent developing and
perfecting ham TV rigs and TTY systems that represented the cutting
edge technology of that time when the joy of building and operating a
conventional CW, AM, or SSB rig became old hat.

What saddens me most is the degree to which ham radio has become
emasculated and rendered devoid of almost all technical value. Bitter,
no. Saddened, yes!

Harry C.

Old October 3rd 05, 09:30 AM
an_old_friend

LRod posted:

"K2, huh? New York City? That explains why you were able to work
"multiple states." You have, what, six of them within 100 miles? Try
that in any state west of the Appalachins."

No, central New Jersey. Dhuh!

which is close for the point to be valid

"Whiny old timer, out of touch with reality, loss of memory of old time

ham radio, ****ed because of Incentive Licensing, lets other people
determine his enjoyment of a hobby, still hanging around the amateur
radio newsgroups despite being unlicensed for nearly a quarter
century."

No Mr. Dork, I simply lost interest in ham radio when it became
infested with clueless CB types who only hold ham tickets because they
crammed their way through the licensing exams. When store purchased
commercial rigs appeared, the ham bands became cluttered with these
types to the extent that one QSO after another led to nothing but
uninformed, mindless blathering as it remains today.

Hmm you lost interest but you are HERE engaging in debate over it

[...]

looks like one the fellas still ****ed over Incentive licensing and
blaming those who just followed the rules laid down for getting their
licenses for the rulst of the ARRL's games back then, some several
decades ago

wlaks like a duck quacks like a duck, it likely is a duck, or in this
case an Bitter Old Timer

Harry C.

Old October 3rd 05, 11:54 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
LRod posted:

[...]

See what I mean Harry C. This guy here is the resident antagonizer. He
argues with everyone about everything. And knows basically NOTHING.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 4th 05, 12:14 AM
an_old_friend

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
LRod posted:

[...]

realy I thought that was Stevie's job and you claim anyone that
disagrees with you knows nothing

BTW I don't argue with everyone, let alone about everything

You OTOH say you will agree to discuss something only after everyone
agrees to agree with you, in advance

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 4th 05, 04:31 AM
Dr.Ace

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
ups.com...

Snipped

wlaks like a duck quacks like a duck, it likely is a duck, or in this
case an Bitter Old Timer

Harry C.

See what I mean Harry C. This guy here is the resident antagonizer. He
argues with everyone about everything. And knows basically NOTHING.

realy I thought that was Stevie's job and you claim anyone that
disagrees with you knows nothing

BTW I don't argue with everyone, let alone about everything

You just argue with many people about many things (most you know very little
about)!

You OTOH say you will agree to discuss something only after everyone
agrees to agree with you, in advance

I've never seen or heard Dan say any such thing.

Like I've said before, an_old_fiend is apparently in the same camp as Todd
(same mindset).
Also since an_old_fiend doesn't have a call sign his opinion in
radio.amateur groups doen't mean much.
Ace - WH2T

Old October 4th 05, 10:14 PM
Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
LRod posted:

[...]

Not at all. I just consider you a complete fool and chose not to waste my
time debating such an ignorant goof as you.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 3rd 05, 11:52 PM
Dan/W4NTI

wrote in message
ups.com...
LRod posted:

[...]

Can't argue with that. But you know there is still a lot of interest going
on. Satellites are one. The new digital modes are quite interesting.

I still enjoy a good CW contact. And I operate a fair amount of SSB. And
your right, real hams are few and far between.

If you want to find out what is happening now in ham radio....THIS IS NOT
THE PLACE TO DO IT.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 2nd 05, 06:48 PM
Dan/W4NTI

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yes indeed....I cut my "phone" teeth with the Gonset II. I used a 10
element antenna, built up a balun for the antenna and fed it with 300 ohm
twin. Made another balun and stuck it into the coax connector. I learned
how to do that from my ARRL Handbook, circa 1961.

Put it outside my bedroom window and regularly worked stations in New York,
most of Pennsylvania, West Virginia, etc. This from North East Ohio.
Armstrong rotar of course.

Activity is a MAJOR factor. Hams now think 2m FM is all there is on VHF.
What a pity.

Dan/W4NTI