Old October 2nd 05, 11:02 PM
Jim

Default CW reader

Can anyone recommend a CW reader?

I'd be especially interested in a software one that ran on Linux, and
it would be wonderful if the source was available. I have the MFJ
device but it broke, and I'd prefer a software one, anyway (I like to
tweak sometimes).

Just in case someone wants to warn me against such devices: I read CW
by ear at about 15 wpm, but I'd like to improve my fist and I have
heard that the readers are good for that, as they only read well-formed
code.

Tnx, Jim KE1AZ

Old October 3rd 05, 03:35 PM
Bob Bob

Hi Jim

Tomi Manninen's gMFSK 0.7pre1 has CW included I think at an experimental
stage. I have only brielfy tried it and it seems to decode okay. (I am a
"non" CW operator - limited call in VK)

"Demorse" by Neoklis Kyriazis is also a possible contender but I havent
been able to make that work. (CLI only)

RSCW is another one;
http://radio.linux.org.au/pkgdetail....t =&pkgid=288

The above URL (shortened) is also an interesting place to find Linux
based amateur radio s/w in general.

I run gMFSK under Suse 9.1 prof. Needs a few libraries etc to get it to
compile. I also have some issues with the help system. I think it is
because I am using KDE and it doesnt have all the hooks in it for Gnome
environment. Hasnt been an issue because I can look at the XML help file
directly.

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA East Texas

Old October 3rd 05, 08:39 PM
Jim

Thank you; I'll try those.

Jim KE1AZ

Old October 3rd 05, 09:02 PM
Caveat Lector

The problem with most CW readers I've tried, or heard of is
1. The received code has to be with proper spacing and character and element
durations
2. A fairly strong signal, otherwise the reader gets confused

They work well on strong signals with good or machine sent code

IMHO The best code reader is between one's ears
--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thank you; I'll try those.

Jim KE1AZ

Old October 6th 05, 01:19 AM
Dee Flint

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Perhaps you didn't read the message? I mentioned:

Just in case someone wants to warn me against such devices: I read CW
by ear at about 15 wpm, but I'd like to improve my fist and I have
heard that the readers are good for that, as they only read well-formed

code.

I suspect for this purpose, they are all equally good as they will be
reading the sidetone off your radio and not have to deal with the static,
QSB, QRM, etc of an over the air signal.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

FS: MFJ-461 Pocket CW Reader cns Swap 0 December 3rd 03 01:16 AM
FS: MFJ-461 Pocket CW Reader private Swap 1 November 5th 03 04:43 AM
FS: MFJ-461 Pocket CW Reader private Swap 0 November 5th 03 02:08 AM
FS: MFJ-461 Pocket CW Reader private Swap 0 November 2nd 03 08:12 AM