Old November 1st 05, 11:02 AM
Dee Flint

Default 15 Meters CW is Dead?

"Rockinghorse Winner" wrote in message
Hello, I am new tot the hobby. I just finished building the Tentec 15
Meter
QRP rig and was tuning the dial, but could not hear any CW stations on the
upper part of the band 21.150 MHz. Heard a lot of SSB over the weekend
with
several European and Carribean stations breaking through, along with the
US
pileup. But since I've had the radio working, no CW in the Novice/Tech
portion of the band. I get the same dismal results through the Sangean
ATS909, except the noise floor is a LOT louder. Ant is dipole on roof
tuned
to resonance. Is 15 Meter CW dead for the time being?

Lee KI6AZS

These days the CW activity is normally in the lower part of the band (i.e.
General & Extra portions). There are so few active Novices and Techs with
code that you will seldom hear activity in the Novice CW portions of the
bands. The active ones basically upgraded to General when the code
requirement became 5wpm across the board. However, if you have passed the
code requirement, I suggest checking the FISTS website and trying to call CQ
on the FISTS calling frequency. There are sometimes people listening there
for the express purpose of helping the new people.

The 15 meter band isn't "dead" but it is not open as often or as long right
now while we are in the low part of the sunspot cycle. The best time of day
is probably early afternoon.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 2nd 05, 02:42 AM
Rockinghorse Winner

"Dee Flint" writes:

"Rockinghorse Winner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

OK, thank you, Dee for that bit of info on the 15 meter band. I am going to
reset my toroids for the lower edge of the band to see if I can work some
QRP qso's. Also, I will look up the FISTS website and see about thos e
calling freq's.

Take care and 73

Lee KI6AZS