Old November 9th 05, 05:42 AM
Jack Hamilton

Default Is there a program to display what modulation looks like?

One my coworkers is interested in getting a license. I gave him a copy
of the ARRL technician book and am looking around for local classes he
can take. But while reading the book he can across something he doesn't
understand - SSB vs AM vs FM modulation. I have to agree with him that
the diagrams in the books aren't very clearly explained (though the ones
in the General class book are better than the ones in the Technician
book).

So here's my question: is there a Windows application or web app that
will display a carrier and its sidebands, along with the modulation, in
a useful way?

It doesn't have to take arbitrary audio input - a sine wave, a DTMF
tone, a slowly rising tone, and a small voice sample would be enough. It
should show something like an oscilloscope plus something like a
spectrum waterfall.

Does such a thing exist, perhaps as a Flash application?

--
Jack Hamilton
California
Old November 9th 05, 09:44 AM
Falky foo

No!

Old November 9th 05, 10:50 AM
Fabian Kurz

Jack Hamilton wrote:
So here's my question: is there a Windows application or web app that
will display a carrier and its sidebands, along with the modulation, in
a useful way?

Here is a list of several Java Applets which are doing what you
are looking for:
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...modulation.htm

Some broken links, but for all three, AM, FM and SSB there are
very nicely working applets.

Hint: The above link was the first Google hit for the search term
"modulation java applet FM AM SSB".

73,
--
Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK * Dresden, Germany * http://fkurz.net/
Old November 9th 05, 03:37 PM
Caveat Lector

Very nice illustrations of SSB, AM, and FM at URL:
http://www.williamson-labs.com/480_mod.htm

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old November 27th 05, 12:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
Wayne P. Muckleroy

The best way to gain understanding in the different modulation techniques is
to view active signal with both an oscilloscope (time-domain) and a spectrum
analyzer (frequency domain.

By varying the crucial parameters (AM depth and so forth), you can get a
really good feel for how the CW signal is altered when you change them.

Wayne-
(KC8UIO)