Old December 2nd 05, 12:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
Dave Bushong

Default Q: Rebroadcast WWV?

Hey Rick,

That's the whole idea, isn't it? Watching the seconds tick off...
57...58...59...00

Here in New Hampshire, reception of 60 kHz varies directly with the band
conditions (of course), for example, a lot like 160m, and also varies
with the location in the house where the clock happens to be located.

Then again, I don't have the luxury of having a flat, mountainless,
conductive ocean between me and the west coast like some people.

Mele Kalikimaka me ka Hau'oli Makahiki Hou! (I lived on Ford Island,
1960-1963, without WWVH, cable TV, or GPS)

73,
Dave
kz1o

Rick Frazier wrote:
Steven:

Where are you located that they won't sync?

When propagation is good, they should sync from anywhere on the US
mainland.

I should know, I'm located in Hawaii, and my wife bought one of the damn
things and it would reset itself about every other day. This is a problem,
as the clock doesn't have a selection for Hawaii Standard Time, only for
the time zones on the mainland US. The typical scenario was: Set the
clock to local time, set the alarm, go to sleep. Sometime during the
night, clock resets itself to Pacific Time, and the alarm goes off two or
three hours early (depending on daylight savings time). As malfunctions of
any electronic item in the house are assumed to be my fault, I was
typically blamed for the problem.

I finally opened it up and disconnected it's antenna, so it can't resync
any more. The actual timekeeping is pretty good, no large amount of drift
noted so far, so it is still a decent "stand alone" clock. The display
showing it trying to get the time signal is comical at times, though. Of
course, the bog box store she bought it from should have never sold it
here, because I'd guess most of them eventually get returned because they
keep changing time....

Given we are over 2300 miles from the west coast, plus the distance to
Boulder, you shouldn't have any problem anywhere on the mainland unless you
live in the back of a cave or under water. If the clocks are just bitching
about not having sync'd, I'd just ignore them. If they are drifting so
much it matters, I'd get rid of them if they won't sync.

Good Luck
--Rick AH7H

wrote:

Consider the following:
1) I have a lot of clocks which can set themselves automatically based
on the WWV time signal - cf.
http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwv.html
2) Where I live this WWV signal is very weak to non-existant.
3) I have multiple computers connected to the internet through an
always-on Cable Model connection (Windows and Linux)
4) I have those computers stay synchronized with NTP time servers

The thought occured to me that I could solve my problems with my
out-of-sync WWV clocks in my house if I were able somehow to
rebroadcast (at low power) the WWV time signal, controlled by one of my
NTP-synced computers.

Has anybody done such a thing? Do radios exist for transmitting the WWV
signal?

Where can I find the specs on the format of the WWV signal? What I
found initially is that it is in the 60Hz range.

My purpose is not to become some WWV station; I just want my clocks to
stay synched!

Thanks - Steven