Old December 22nd 05, 05:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
Howie

Default moderately priced iambic paddles?

Hello Lee,

You're quite right, some of the paddles are quite expensive, but aren't
they beautiful?!

You might want to consider making your own paddle. There are numerous
designs on the web, and a decent paddle can be made for under 15 or 20
dollars.

My first homemade paddle was made using hacksaw blades and worked
rather well. I should mention that they worked well up to 20 wpm or
so...after that they left a bit to be desired.

Another favorite came from the old 73 magazine. Nothing more than two
short pieces of brass welding rod held in place, making contact with a
spacer. This worked really well and I could send just fine with it.

I have a copy of the article I could send along to you if you like.
Even today this should cost no more than 6 or 7 dollars...less if you
have a small piece of scrap wood laying around.

The point being is that you don't have to spend a fortune to have a
great time with CW...and the guy at the other end won't be able to tell
the difference between your homemade paddle and a $300 Whizbang Mark 5.

73 and Merry Christmas de WA2AFD Howard

Old December 23rd 05, 06:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
lkokot

Howie shaped the electrons to say:
H Hello Lee,

H You're quite right, some of the paddles are quite expensive, but aren't
H they beautiful?!

H You might want to consider making your own paddle. There are numerous
H designs on the web, and a decent paddle can be made for under 15 or 20
H dollars.

H My first homemade paddle was made using hacksaw blades and worked
H rather well. I should mention that they worked well up to 20 wpm or
H so...after that they left a bit to be desired.

H Another favorite came from the old 73 magazine. Nothing more than two
H short pieces of brass welding rod held in place, making contact with a
H spacer. This worked really well and I could send just fine with it.

H I have a copy of the article I could send along to you if you like.
H Even today this should cost no more than 6 or 7 dollars...less if you
H have a small piece of scrap wood laying around.

H The point being is that you don't have to spend a fortune to have a
H great time with CW...and the guy at the other end won't be able to tell
H the difference between your homemade paddle and a $300 Whizbang Mark 5.

H 73 and Merry Christmas de WA2AFD Howard

Tnx, Howard, I ended up purchasing a BY-1 Bencher from HRO. It was their
classic paddle (without the chrome base), and only set me back $100, so I
guess it was a good compromise between quality and price. I didn't realize
paddles were so easy to make yourself. Maybe if I had more time, but such a
project does not appeal to me at this time. BTW, I built the NORCAL keyer
(real fun project, that), and it works great with the Bencher, and it was
only $16!

--
R*Horse rwinner.blogspot.com
Old December 23rd 05, 08:06 PM
Junior Member

Location: near detroit

also do you realy need a Iambic key
most ops never realy send Iambic style
even when using a iambic key

I still slap a iambic key like its a bug

good non iambic ( single lever ) keys are less expensive
and much easier to make than a set of iambic paddles

might want ask on
yahoo group brasspounder

also see the text on key strokes
iambic style sending vs non iambic style sending

by the way a key that one op loves
can be the same key that another op hates

there are lots of great keys out their
I own 3 expensive high end keys realy love them

but often find my self using a 70 year old Vibroplex bug
looks like its been thrugh a war, still keeps working

yours truly
mac