Old January 29th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
Sum Ting Wong

Default QUIET solar panel battery charger/controller?

I want to put some solar panels on my RV to charge the house/radio
batteries. Does anyone have a recommendation for a charge controller
brand/model that won't generate RFI to the HF radio?

Thanks.

S.T.W.
Old January 29th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
Bob Bob

I guess it must be using a switch mode regulator...? Linear regulators
tend to be less efficient/more lossy.

My initial workaround/though would be to use a shottkey blocking diode
and dump the controller altogether. If the batteries are wet NiCd's they
wont care too much about over voltage, just watch for boil off. You may
also be able to devise an extra bank of diodes that switch in and out
depending on solar panel output, but only switch it every few minutes.
You will of course lose some efficiency.

Cheers Bob Vk2YQA

Trickle Charge Battery west Homebrew 8 November 28th 05 05:02 PM
Handy Andy Keith and Phil at AussieSeek.com Political Message Shortwave 1 November 19th 05 06:01 PM
MAHA MH-C777PlusII MAHA MH-C777 battery reconditioner recommendation? fancy nospam tunes General 0 April 23rd 05 03:57 PM
Solar Minimum in 2006? Mike Terry Shortwave 0 October 23rd 04 01:33 PM
Follow-up: Car battery charger Bruce W...1 Homebrew 20 December 1st 03 04:38 AM