Old February 4th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Roger

Default "Ultra" portable MW-SW-FM receiver recommendations?

I currently own a Radio Shack DX-399 (same model as the Sangean
ATS-606), which is a quite solid, portable LW-MW-SW-FM receiver with
quite good sound quality when delivered to ear buds (FM stereo to
earbuds.)

I mostly use this radio for local MW and FM listening, but will
occasionally listen to SW broadcasts, and DX-MW using a Radio Shack
loop.

I love this radio for its portability, but am looking for another to
put one of them away in a Faraday box for use in case of a major
emergency.

So, what other makes/models should I consider? Repeating some of the
above, here's my criteria:

1) The size of the DX-399 or smaller.

2) General coverage MW-SW (up to 30 kHz), and with stereo FM (when fed
to earbuds). Don't need LW.

3) Good sound quality (especially of FM) when fed to earbuds.

4) As good or better sensitivity than the DX-399 for MW dxing and SW.

5) Don't need SSB, but would be nice.

6) Don't care too much about speaker quality, since I would use it
exclusively with earbuds.

7) Don't care about the other bells and whistles (e.g. alarm), but
some station memory would be nice.

So what are my other options? New and/or used (buyable through eBay)
will be considered.

Thanks!

Roger

Old February 4th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Beloved Leader

Buy a second DX-399 if you can find one. Either that or a Sangean
ATS-606. It's clear that you like the radio a great deal, so why mess
with a good thing?

I own a DX-399. I bought it when Radio Shack lost its mind and dumped
the Radio Shack brand SWRs. I think it is a terrific little radio. Its
oddest likable attribute has to be the multiple voltage wall wart. With
the included adapter, you can use it in Europe on 220 Vac.

Old February 4th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave

Check out the Degen DE1105..

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1105.htm

2 1/2 stars by passport.

Excellent little portable

Old February 4th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
Invader3K

Seems like the Grundig/Eton YB-400 would fit the bill for you as well.
Might be slightly bigger than your Radio Shack model, but has the
features you mentioned, and then some.

Old February 4th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
David

http://rffun.com/catalog/portable/1080.html

Old February 4th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
John Porter

Roger wrote in
:

I currently own a Radio Shack DX-399 (same model as the Sangean
ATS-606), which is a quite solid, portable LW-MW-SW-FM receiver with
quite good sound quality when delivered to ear buds (FM stereo to
earbuds.)

Don't know what size your Radio Shack DZ 399 is but I have had the Sangean
909 for years and it works great and it is a good travel radio or
emergency one too. It may have more bells and stuff than you what but in an
emergency they may be handy to have as well!

Old February 4th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
jstrain

Beloved Leader wrote:
Buy a second DX-399 if you can find one. Either that or a Sangean
ATS-606. It's clear that you like the radio a great deal, so why mess
with a good thing?

I own a DX-399. I bought it when Radio Shack lost its mind and dumped
the Radio Shack brand SWRs. I think it is a terrific little radio. Its
oddest likable attribute has to be the multiple voltage wall wart. With
the included adapter, you can use it in Europe on 220 Vac.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0247.html
I carry mine in shirt pocket daily. excellent AM and FM and 2 SW bands
which receive the stronger stations

price ~20.00

yodar

Yodar
Old February 5th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
mike

Roger wrote:
I currently own a Radio Shack DX-399 (same model as the Sangean
ATS-606), which is a quite solid, portable LW-MW-SW-FM receiver with
quite good sound quality when delivered to ear buds (FM stereo to
earbuds.)

I mostly use this radio for local MW and FM listening, but will
occasionally listen to SW broadcasts, and DX-MW using a Radio Shack
loop.

I love this radio for its portability, but am looking for another to
put one of them away in a Faraday box for use in case of a major
emergency.

Tell us more about your emergency scenario?
Although it's possible to come up with a situation where there's an EMP
that doesn't get thru your faraday box and doesn't kill you, either
directly or indirectly...
I think you're much more likely to succumb to a dirty bomb or car bomb
or bird flu or be hit by a bus or killed by a jealous spouse or your HMO.
What are the other parts of your survival strategy? Radio doesn't
do much good if you don't have food/water/shelter.

Hmmm, wonder if the radio transmitters are in Faraday Boxes?

So, what other makes/models should I consider? Repeating some of the
above, here's my criteria:

1) The size of the DX-399 or smaller.

2) General coverage MW-SW (up to 30 kHz), and with stereo FM (when fed
to earbuds). Don't need LW.

30kHz is about as long wave as it gets.

3) Good sound quality (especially of FM) when fed to earbuds.

4) As good or better sensitivity than the DX-399 for MW dxing and SW.

5) Don't need SSB, but would be nice.

6) Don't care too much about speaker quality, since I would use it
exclusively with earbuds.

7) Don't care about the other bells and whistles (e.g. alarm), but
some station memory would be nice.

So what are my other options? New and/or used (buyable through eBay)
will be considered.

I kinda like the Sony ICF-SW-100.
Sound quality is awesome for it's size.
Make me an offer.

mike

Thanks!

Roger

Old February 5th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

mike wrote:

Roger wrote:
[...]

I was wondering why he needs to put the radio in a faraday cage myself.
I've read that a typical EMP pulse bomb like Al Qaeda would most likely
use would mostly work on anything *that was on the same frequency*. That
means that if you're not in the immediate area, and your radio antenna
isn't harmonic with the wavelength of the pulse, you have nothing to
worry about. Dark Angel type scenarios where the whole country is wiped
out by an EMP pulse apparently aren't very realistic, but they make for
good TV. I think a dirty bomb is more likely. But the real threat is
bioweapons-if Iran could weaponize bird flu or smallpox and make it into
a super killer then the **** would hit the fan. Smallpox has the
potential to kill 9 out of 10 people, that's what it did to the Indians.
I'm more worried about a flood since I live in a part of California that
has frequent major floods. I just worry that I wouldn't have the
presence of mind to take my Degen, since I'd have 15 minutes to
evacuate. A lot of the New Orleans refugees didn't have radios, and the
lack of info caused by that and govt bungling caused much of the panic.

Old February 5th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 16:11:54 -0800, mike wrote:

I think you're much more likely to succumb to a dirty bomb or car bomb
or bird flu or be hit by a bus or killed by a jealous spouse or your HMO.

All bombs are dirty.