Old March 23rd 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Slow Code

Default Dumbed down licensing actually hurt amateur radio.

I ran into a person at a radio event recently. A non ham. He liked
technical things and I thought he would enjoy getting into ham radio. I
asked him "why not get a license, it's easier now. Some hams are
experimenting in new methods of sending digital signals over radio and
have a lot of fun experimenting."

He said years ago he thought about getting into ham radio and almost did,
but at the time he was just too busy working, and time constraints meant
it wouldn't have made sense for him to spend money on things he wouldn't
get to use much.

Then he said, "I have time and money now to get into the hobby, but I
won't because it sounds just like CB anymore."

After he said that, I felt like I was just punched in the guts.

SC
Old March 23rd 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
an_old_friend

Default prove it

Slow Code wrote:

Then he said, "I have time and money now to get into the hobby, but I
won't because it sounds just like CB anymore."

and how is the testing rpocedure realted to that?

Old March 24th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy

ass****ed an_old_friend wrote:
Slow Code wrote:

Then he said, "I have time and money now to get into the hobby, but I
won't because it sounds just like CB anymore."

and how is the testing rpocedure realted to that?

God, are you stupid, Marky.

Old March 24th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Bob Bob

I really dont think you supplied enough information.

Was the person saying that he has heard (ie listened to an RX) or that
he has heard (anecdotal evidence) that AR seems to be CB?

If the first case I guess you could use that as proof of
licensing/examination inadequecies. If the second this is a
misconception on the part of how AR is presented in the media or by just
general perception. ie if the public knows little about radio then it
can only be a "play thing" or "commercial" and both CB and AR get
incorporated into the former.

I'll repeat to the point of causing nausea though that the examination
doesnt (to my knowledge) tell you how to act/talk etc on the radio. It
is more interested in proving technical and legislation competence and
assumes your "common sense" will prevail. How the person talks/acts is
in a sense the responsibility of the others of the "club". Do you really
think that by keeping the techical competency high you will keep the
"riff-raff" out? I dont.

I hope you suggested to the person that things are not all that bad and
he could still have an enjoyable time experimenting. Just like the rest
of society you can choose who you interact/talk with.

Bob VK2YQA

Old March 24th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Stinky

wrote in message
God, are you stupid, Marky.

Et tu, Wussman.

Old March 24th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
an_old_friend

Bob Bob wrote:
I really dont think you supplied enough information.

indded he did not

Was the person saying that he has heard (ie listened to an RX) or that
he has heard (anecdotal evidence) that AR seems to be CB?

If the first case I guess you could use that as proof of
licensing/examination inadequecies.

eveendce to form a throery preahps but still this does not seperate the
effect of the fact that society itself is changing.

that the exams are responible is ONE of several possible explainations

Old March 24th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Slow code

Bob Bob wrote in
news

Slow Code wrote:
I ran into a person at a radio event recently. A non ham. He liked
technical things and I thought he would enjoy getting into ham radio. I
asked him "why not get a license, it's easier now. Some hams are
experimenting in new methods of sending digital signals over radio and
have a lot of fun experimenting."

He said years ago he thought about getting into ham radio and almost
did, but at the time he was just too busy working, and time constraints
meant it wouldn't have made sense for him to spend money on things he
wouldn't get to use much.

Then he said, "I have time and money now to get into the hobby, but I
won't because it sounds just like CB anymore."

After he said that, I felt like I was just punched in the guts.

SC

Well, you know Bob,

The sad part was after thinking about it, I had to agree with him.

I hear good ops from ZL & VK land so maybe you don't suffer with the same
childish CB like behavior over there like we do here.

SC

Old March 24th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
an_old_friend

Slow code wrote:
Bob Bob wrote in
news

Well, you know Bob,

The sad part was after thinking about it, I had to agree with him.

still avoiding the issue

prove your assertion

Old March 24th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Bob Bob

Err well, VK has just had the foundation license start up. I'll admit
though that I havent been paying attention as my sphere of interest
rarely has me talking on more "popular" places like HF and FM rptrs. I
am also living in East Texas!

I do remember some 2m FM rptr stupidities in Sydney maybe 10-15 years
ago. It went on for quite a while and I think made a lot of amateurs
give up on that mode. I personally think simplex whilst mobile (SSB on 2
& 6) was much more rewarding anyway.

There is certainly a lot of irritating and generally useless behaviour
in AR newsgroups but I have only actually heard one (obnoxious) person
on HF that kept me VFO'ing since I arrived in the US. I therefore havent
really heard any problems first hand. I just wander along experimenting
on what interests me and dont seem to be affected.. Perhaps the
unsavories tend to congregate where I am not!

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA

Slow code wrote:

Well, you know Bob,

Utillity freq List; NORMAN TRIANTAFILOS Shortwave 3 May 14th 05 03:31 AM
shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 07:19 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1415 ­ September 24, 2004 Radionews Broadcasting 0 September 26th 04 07:09 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1400 ­ June 11, 2004 Radionews Dx 0 June 16th 04 08:34 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1379 – January 16, 2004 Radionews Policy 0 January 18th 04 09:35 PM