Old July 10th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default Email this to your Senators and Congressmen. make the FCC do the right thing.

I am a new ham and will respond to this based on being new. I got my
license last year at age 48 so I'm neither a kid nor a senior. I've
been tested and scored at 136 so I'm not a genius but am far from a
dummy. I mention these things to give a general picture of who I am and
where my position comes from.

Radio Buff wrote:

No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and pass all elements
required for their license class.

Although I see the reasoning behind this request I disagree. There are
older hams who wouldn't be able to pass their license class test but
who still enjoy participating in their nets and talking to their circle
of ham friends. I don't want to be the one to take that away from a
senior ham who is hurting absolutely no one by enjoying their hobby.
The fact they might not pass the Extra test means nothing.

Radio Buff isn't going to want to give up enjoying radio when he/she is
older and can't pass the exam either.

The passing score for written exams needs to be raised to 85%.

I have no problem with this provided the exam is similar. If you want
to raise the minimum score required while also increasing the
difficulty level of the exam by 20-25% the combination will make it too
difficult for many. You will kill amateur radio because there will be
far fewer coming into the hobby than going SK.

Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

Code should not be a part of the license test anymore than PSK or any
other operating mode. There are so many different ways to enjoy and
utilize amateur radio today that were not available decades ago that
make code no longer a necessity. Mandating code skills is now similar
to mandating slide rule skills for an engineer. It is an excellent tool
and anyone capable of using it has a true skill. That said, there is
nothing that can't be done by one without slide rule skills. They may
be at a disadvantage at certain times and in certain specific locations
and scenarios but for the most part the individual with the slide rule
skills has no true advantage today as they did a few decades ago. The
same holds true with code.

I do believe there should be a segment of the bands each license class
is authorized that is reserved for those with code in their license. It
just shouldn't be a requirement any longer. It keeps otherwise
intelligent and capable people away from the hobby and the goal should
be to bring them in not keep them away.

Make the no-code license one year non-renewable.

This point is pointless with the sensible approach outlined above.

Old July 10th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

" wrote in
ps.com:

Radio Buff wrote:

No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and pass all
elements required for their license class.

Although I see the reasoning behind this request I disagree. There are
older hams who wouldn't be able to pass their license class test but
who still enjoy participating in their nets and talking to their circle
of ham friends. I don't want to be the one to take that away from a
senior ham who is hurting absolutely no one by enjoying their hobby.
The fact they might not pass the Extra test means nothing.

Yes it does mean something. It means they're appliance operators. They
pass their exams once then forget everything and don't want to advance
themselves anymore or be proficient hams. They're not an asset to the
service, they're just lazy asses with licenses and only want to operate
appliances.

Radio Buff isn't going to want to give up enjoying radio when he/she is
older and can't pass the exam either.

If I can't pass the tests, I don't deserve a license, or renewel. I don't
get to operate if I can't qualify. It's that simple. You people think
that if someone can't pass a test, they should get the license anyway.
It's a government handout just like how you get your welfare checks and
food stamps in the mail at your project housing. Your Democrat party
outcome based thinking is what is distroying Amateur radio and America.
Everyone is equal and if you want to excel and improve yourself there is
something wrong with you because your not supposed to want to do that.

The passing score for written exams needs to be raised to 85%.

I have no problem with this provided the exam is similar. If you want
to raise the minimum score required while also increasing the
difficulty level of the exam by 20-25% the combination will make it too
difficult for many. You will kill amateur radio because there will be
far fewer coming into the hobby than going SK.

Quality or quantity? You people that want things easy always say
requiring more qualified licensees will kill the service. You're against
quality because it require you have to work a little. Well, If you ever
need radio help in an emergency to save lives & property, and the ham
operator you talk to on the other end is an incompetant retard, I'll bet
you'd wished for quality then.

Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

Code should not be a part of the license test anymore than PSK or any
other operating mode. There are so many different ways to enjoy and
utilize amateur radio today that were not available decades ago that
make code no longer a necessity. Mandating code skills is now similar
to mandating slide rule skills for an engineer. It is an excellent tool
and anyone capable of using it has a true skill. That said, there is
nothing that can't be done by one without slide rule skills. They may
be at a disadvantage at certain times and in certain specific locations
and scenarios but for the most part the individual with the slide rule
skills has no true advantage today as they did a few decades ago. The
same holds true with code.

Yah, we can't require quality or skill for a license. I know you're right.
We gotta be like CB'ers.

I do believe there should be a segment of the bands each license class
is authorized that is reserved for those with code in their license. It
just shouldn't be a requirement any longer. It keeps otherwise
intelligent and capable people away from the hobby and the goal should
be to bring them in not keep them away.

Code isn't a requirement, you can always talk on CB, FRS, and cell phones
all you want.

Make the no-code license one year non-renewable.

This point is pointless with the sensible approach outlined above.

No, it's not pointless. It insures licenses will improve and will be
valuable to the service. I know you would hate that because in another
month you would either have to upgrade or loose your ticket.

Doesn't anyone else here want to save ham radio? I'm getting tired of
arguing with the lazy asses. I hope some of you cared and want to help me
save ham radio enough that you emailed this to President Bush, your
Senators and Congressmen to press the FCC does the right thing for us:

No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and
pass all elements required for their license class.

The passing score for written exams needs to be raised to 85%.

Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

Make the no-code license one year non-renewable.

73, Thanks for your support.

SC

Old July 10th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:
" wrote in
ps.com:

Radio Buff wrote:

No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and pass all
elements required for their license class.

Although I see the reasoning behind this request I disagree. There are
older hams who wouldn't be able to pass their license class test but
who still enjoy participating in their nets and talking to their circle
of ham friends. I don't want to be the one to take that away from a
senior ham who is hurting absolutely no one by enjoying their hobby.
The fact they might not pass the Extra test means nothing.

Yes it does mean something. It means they're appliance operators. They
pass their exams once then forget everything and don't want to advance
themselves anymore or be proficient hams. They're not an asset to the
service, they're just lazy asses with licenses and only want to operate
appliances.

everyone that does not meet your standards is lazy right Mr Stpuid

[...]

no I say throwing at least half the current memebers of the ars off the
band would kill the service
You're against
quality because it require you have to work a little.

nope I worked a lot for the novice I was neer able to get

Well, If you ever
need radio help in an emergency to save lives & property, and the ham
operator you talk to on the other end is an incompetant retard, I'll bet
you'd wished for quality then.

first you might hope to FIND one

Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

Code should not be a part of the license test anymore than PSK or any
other operating mode. There are so many different ways to enjoy and
utilize amateur radio today that were not available decades ago that
make code no longer a necessity. Mandating code skills is now similar
to mandating slide rule skills for an engineer. It is an excellent tool
and anyone capable of using it has a true skill. That said, there is
nothing that can't be done by one without slide rule skills. They may
be at a disadvantage at certain times and in certain specific locations
and scenarios but for the most part the individual with the slide rule
skills has no true advantage today as they did a few decades ago. The
same holds true with code.

Yah, we can't require quality or skill for a license.

sure we can

this has nothing to do with Morse Code testing however
I know you're right.
We gotta be like CB'ers.

nope

I do believe there should be a segment of the bands each license class
is authorized that is reserved for those with code in their license. It
just shouldn't be a requirement any longer. It keeps otherwise
intelligent and capable people away from the hobby and the goal should
be to bring them in not keep them away.

Code isn't a requirement, you can always talk on CB, FRS, and cell phones
all you want.

indeed code WILL not be a requirement verysoon

deal with it

Make the no-code license one year non-renewable.

This point is pointless with the sensible approach outlined above.

No, it's not pointless.

you got that right the point is that you want to kill the ARS becuase
it has eveoled
It insures licenses will improve and will be
valuable to the service.

nope
I know you would hate that because in another
month you would either have to upgrade or loose your ticket.

nope

I do hate the ioidea of yet again taking prevdeges away form operators
that Have earned them I think een the ARRL and FCC learned that lesson
year ago

Doesn't anyone else here want to save ham radio?

Sure I want to save it

you don't
I'm getting tired of
arguing with the lazy asses.

then do your self a kindness and stop you are not helping the ARS
except for contuiing to prod the No Coders into pushing the FCC to stop
the bleeding your kind hae created
I hope some of you cared and want to help me
save ham radio enough that you emailed this to President Bush, your
Senators and Congressmen to press the FCC does the right thing for us:

Indeed I did email your thought to a freind on the white house staff

I reported on the laughter that rsulted

No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and
pass all elements required for their license class.

not bad but not likely since it will rsult in prevledges being taken
away from those that EARNED them

The passing score for written exams needs to be raised to 85%.

if you like

Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

suicide for the service and will never be enacted by the FCC they have
ejuected anything that takes prevedlges awayfrom people

Make the no-code license one year non-renewable.

and the final

throwing half of the ops currently licensed would insure the loos of
most if not all of our spectrum

is it just that simple

73, Thanks for your support.

SC

Old July 11th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On 10 Jul 2006 08:36:15 -0700, "
wrote:

Radio Buff wrote:

Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

Code should not be a part of the license test anymore than PSK or any
other operating mode.

I think that's one of the problems here. CW isn't just an operating
mode - it's a language, and the test already includes one language, so
testing for knowledge of a language isn't anything new.

There's NEVER been a test of CW operating mode, technique or ability -
just proficiency with the language of International Morse. Since one
must demonstrate proficiency with another language (English) to obtain
a license, it's a matter of degree, not a matter of kind.
Old July 11th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:

" wrote in
ps.com:

Radio Buff wrote:

[...]

Dip****. If code is the only way to go, why are you using text for
your usenet messages? Can you say "Hypocrite"

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old July 11th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:......
snip

I have never seen such a pompous, egotistical, arrogant horse's rear.
You insult and denigrate anyone not holding the erroneous and outdated
beliefs you espouse. You make assumptions about the character and
education level of those who disagree, all of which are negative and
insulting even though you know nothing of the person. You are wrong,
both in your closed minded refusal to even attempt to see the other
side of your mis-struck coin and moreso in your rude and insulting
manner.

Old July 11th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On 10 Jul 2006 18:40:07 -0700, "an old friend"
wrote:

but it is load of bullto say Morse is a language

Your opinion, not that of those who can converse in it.

no such requirement exists indeed if you can read then the question and
answers are suposed to read to you and your aswers taken down

Languageless? You MUST demonstrate proficiency in at least ONE
language to get a license, even today. A code test is demonstrating
proficiency in two languages - not a major step.
Old July 11th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

wrote:

but it is load of bullto say Morse is a language

Your opinion, not that of those who can converse in it.

my opinion yes but also a fact Morse code is no more a language than
Crillic is

it is simply an alphabet

you can exchange a limited amount of info using the stand codes but you
can say "do you walk or run by the sea" in morse to any one that does
not speak or read english first

you are simply spreading ignorance al

no such requirement exists indeed if you can read then the question and
answers are suposed to read to you and your aswers taken down

Languageless?

yes indeed although it easier if you do understand english not required

not suree if you can take the test in spanish (or other ;lang)right
off but if not now soon I expect it will be possible
You MUST demonstrate proficiency in at least ONE
language to get a license, even today.

nope no such requirement exists not for techs not generals and not
extras either

indeed you point out the way you can get a license without demtating
skill with english if you simply memroize all the questions and answers
their remains no requirement that you understand the content, that task
is easier if you know english but not a requirement

where is this requirement for lang skill in part 97?

A code test is demonstrating
proficiency in two languages - not a major step.

expect you are never required to demostrate profiicentcy in any
language at all
and if you were 2 languages would twice one and Code is NOT a langauage
just an alphabet

Indeeded the ignorance of Hams that spread such tales have been one of
the tools the No Code movement has been using against you

Old July 11th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

No Al, CW is a mode not a language. Are you seriously this ignorant?
Just about any language on the planet can use the mode CW which makes it
not a language.

You people that keep trying to make CW something it's not amaze me.
It's not a god, it's just a old mode.

Old July 11th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 02:15:26 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Dip****. If code is the only way to go, why are you using text for
your usenet messages? Can you say "Hypocrite"

If text is the only way to go, why do you speak?

Can you say "Yes, I ar wun"?