Old August 19th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default What is wrong with Hawaii, Alaska, and Canada

"kh" wrote ...
The reason is very straightforward. This is a boatanchor
newsgroup and it's mostly geezers who deal in old radios.

Geezers live in the past; WE don't think critically; the same
tired thoughts cycle through our heads. Even worse, many
of us hallucinate and make up reasons. You'll see several
in this thread.

Including your own posting, apparently.

I've bought items from Canada and sold to Canada. One
thing I don't like about it is that it's expensive to ship across
the border. In fact, it's cheaper to ship though Canada to Alaska.

But then, buyer pays.

Unless something goes wrong. The abuse of international
transactions is legendary. Even eBay, PayPal, et.al. seem
to acknowledge it. As another poster observed, if you are
a large-volume commercial vendor, you can "eat" the
occasional transaction gone wrong. But if you are selling
one-off things (boat-anchors or not) on eBay, etc. it has a
significant chilling effect, no matter what generation you
represent.
Old August 20th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

I ship to anyone that wants to pay for it. I do avoid APO/FPO shipping, and
not because of scams but because of very very poor delivery chances on
anything not a 1 ounce letter.

I sent several boxes of supplies to friends serving in Iraq with the US
Marine Corps...most of the boxes languished in a warehouse in Germany for
about 4 weeks before being hauled to Iraq...then it was another 2 or 3 weeks
befire they actually got the stuff. Needless to say, never ship a puppy or
kitten to a war zone. I have one realative that was in Iraq for a year (the
last time). I mailed him a Christmas package at the end of October. He got
home in February and still hadn't received it.

I ship DX but the buyer has to pay for the shipping.

Radio Amateurs - Fill your junk box, from my junkbox!
http://www.hamradparts.com
73 de KB9BVN

"Paul Hinman" wrote in message
I frequently see postings in the ham radio related newsgroups for items
currently being offered on E-Bay.

All to often I that items will be shipped only to the lower 48 states,
leaving hams in Hawaii, Alaska, and Canada out of the picture. What is
the problem. In Canada we are well served by FEDEX and the United
States Postal Service. Amateur radio equipment crosses the border with
out any problem. I realize that Hawaii and Alaska may be a bit far from
the "lower 48" but the same delivery services are available even though
surface transportation may be a little bit slow. In the US you also
have UPS, the folks in Brown which we Canadians prefer not to use
because the often make the border crossing more difficult than it needs
to be and we don't like getting stuck with brokerage fees.

So why the discrimination, if the buyer knows that delivery may take a
little longer and is prepared to accept the fact then it becomes a non
problem. If the seller is intimidated by the prospect of complicated
paperwork, he needn't be. Please leave it up to the buyer to decide
whether he wants to bib or not.

I can not speak for shipments to Europe, Africa, India, China, or the
South Pacific but for fellow Americans, or friendly northern neighbours,
I think that people should be prepared to deal with us.

Thanx for letting get this off my chest and I realize that I have cross
posted this to four different newsgroups but I wanted to get to a broad
audience.

Paul

--
Paul S. Hinman - VE6LDS
long West 113 deg 27 min 20 sec

Old August 20th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

What I've done sending goodies to our troops is to use the flat rate
Priority Boxes available free at the post office. All you can stuff
into it for the 2 pounds rate or $8.10. Mose have been delivered within
a couple weeks.

If interested might check out http://www.anysolder.com

73 Bob W7AVK