Old August 28th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Beginner Radio w/o using air variable cap???

Hello All,

[Basically this says, are there any practical alternatives to an air
variable capacitor that a beginner can use in building his first
receiver radio?]

I'm interested in getting my feet wet in building a receiver, but don't
want to buy a 'kit'. I'd like to build a radio that has a knob I can
somewhat tune it with. I've been really looking at regenerative radios
and superheterodynes, although a simple radio is more important than
how well it really performs.

One common theme in almost every 'simple' radio design I can find, is
that they *ALL* use Air variable capacitors. While I'm sure these were
everywhere 20 years ago, going to every major electronics supply house
in Portland, Oregon has yielded me only with small trimmer capacitors,
which AFAIK, will not do for a 'tuner'. I'm aware I can order online
for about 10-20$ and purchase an air variable, but I'd like to see if
any of you have any suggestions on what might work as an alternative?

Varactor diode seemed like a neat idea, although I guess they suffer
from temperature fading. Would this make it impratical for a shortwave
or AM receiver? Can you even make a regenerative radio out of a
varactor? (Actually, I'll try ghetto rigging a red LED for a varactor,
since I don't really care about it being nicely linear, I just want
something with a knob that does something!).

Can anyone recommend any type of reasonably simple radio (simple mostly
as in reasonably low parts count, i don't need an LCD readout) that
could possibly be done with parts that can be had at a reasonably
stocked electronics store. (Much more inventory than Fry's). A knob is
important, I don't want to build one of those ghetto radios with the
coil and a metal bead that I slide along the coil to 'tune' it. Any
other way to use a potentiometer to tune a radio?

Old August 28th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

SparkySKO wrote:
[...]

If you want to build a radio circuit without much circuitry you really
have to put up with either a variable cap or a variable coil. I'd say
you either have to scrounge something or buy one -- they're really not
that spendy.

Yes, you can go the varactor route, and folks have made it work well.
But you have to add more components, it'll never be the same, and you'll
have to tinker with it to keep it from drifting all over the place. For
a 1st-time radio it may not be a bad thing, but after that I'd go with a
real variable element.

As far as your complaints about 'ghetto' radios -- your ability to build
a high-quality, good looking tunable element is a matter of the talent
that you were born with and the effort you take to use it. If you want
to build something without many components then you're going to need to
work at it anyway.

Having said that I wouldn't build -- I'd buy. Have you checked with
Cascade Surplus Electronics in North Portland? It's been ages since
I've been in there, so I can't guarantee anything. You may also want to
try R 5-D 3 Electronic Surplus out in Southeast. He's got lots of old
stuff there, if he doesn't have a variable cap he'll have some piece of
crud that you can buy and harvest the caps.

After those two, consider going to yard and garage sales, buying old
radios, and tearing out their capacitors. Stereo tuners from the 70's
and 80's are best -- if it's big and has a knob, chances are it has a
cap. If it receives FM and it's big and has a knob , chances are the
cap will be a good size for shortwave. You may even find that it has a
cap with a built-in reduction drive which is cool if you want to tune in CW.

Good luck.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

Old August 29th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

SparkySKO wrote:
Hello All,

[Basically this says, are there any practical alternatives to an air
variable capacitor that a beginner can use in building his first
receiver radio?]

I'm interested in getting my feet wet in building a receiver, but don't
want to buy a 'kit'. I'd like to build a radio that has a knob I can
somewhat tune it with. I've been really looking at regenerative radios
and superheterodynes, although a simple radio is more important than
how well it really performs.

One common theme in almost every 'simple' radio design I can find, is
that they *ALL* use Air variable capacitors. While I'm sure these were
everywhere 20 years ago, going to every major electronics supply house
in Portland, Oregon has yielded me only with small trimmer capacitors,
which AFAIK, will not do for a 'tuner'...

I'd try R5D3 first, then see if I could find something worth
cannibalizing at Cascade (note new address) or Wacky
Willy's (lots of junk, but you never know...). Then I'd hit the
various thrift stores and see if I could find an old FM tuner.

Are there any ham radio swap meets coming up?

If you go to R5D3, they really are on a residential side street
out in the middle of nowhere.

The parts are out there. Go get them!

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Old August 29th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"SparkySKO" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All,

[Basically this says, are there any practical alternatives to an air
variable capacitor that a beginner can use in building his first
receiver radio?]

Go he

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

and check under Capacitors -- variable.

Old August 29th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"SparkySKO" writes:

[Basically this says, are there any practical alternatives to an air
variable capacitor that a beginner can use in building his first
receiver radio?]
....[snip]....

For TWO BUCKS I bought a whole box full of cheapie "transistor radios"
from a church rummage sale a few weeks ago (most were about the size
of a man's wallet, but a few were about the size of a thick book), and

ALL OF THEM HAD AN AIR-VARIABLE TUNING CAPACITOR!

Don't fight a battle you don't need to fight; just tear up an old
"transistor radio"!

(Now the NEWER transistor radios -- the kind you buy at WalMart for
a buck each that have a "push to tune to the next station" button --
do NOT have air-variable capacitors, but the OLDER ones do!)

--
--Myron A. Calhoun, W0PBV.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge

Old August 29th 06, 11:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

SparkySKO wrote:
[...]

Varying the inductance by moving a core in and out of the coil works
just as well, and is quite easy to make at home.

Leon

Old August 29th 06, 12:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

Yes, you can go the varactor route, and folks have made it work well. But
you have to add more components, it'll never be the same, and you'll have
to tinker with it to keep it from drifting all over the place.

Varactors are not that tough, and don't mistake the "never be the same".
Good varactor rigs are much more pleasant than anything with a variable cap.
(Although there are plenty of bad varactor designs out there!) Yes,
sometimes there are a couple more components, but not many more. It does
take some work to get a varactor oscillator close to drift-free, but five
minutes with a calculator will get you close enough for SWLing. Oh by the
way, getting a capacitor oscillator close to drift free can be a challenge,
especially if you don't have hard-to-get air inductors, and microphonics in
that case can be a challenge, too. The larger size of the variable cap/air
inductor makes mechanical construction details a lot more important. There's
really no free lunch.

Varactors do have some temperature coefficient, and they are often coupled
with toroid inductors, which also have some considerable temperature
coefficient. Most of the designs you see out there are for CW rigs in the
ham bands, where temperature stability is extremely important. The maze of
capacitors around the varactor are there to balance the temperature
coefficients. Usually there is a polystyrene capacitor which has a
temperature coefficient opposite to the toroid and varactor, but you can
never get exactly the right value for that, so it is a question of getting
the right combination of positive and negative temperature coefficients AND
the right value of capacitance. For AM in the broadcast band, you can
probably come close enough with one or two capacitors. For a rig with a 200
Hz CW filter at 15 meters, it can be a real bear keeping the frequency to
within the 0.0001% that you need for comfortable operation.

That being said, it is undoubtedly easier to use a variable cap, and caps
can be cannabalized from old radios easily and cheaply. Leon also mentions
the possibility of making a variable inductor. Actually, from time to time
articles have appeared about making variable caps, too. In either case,
though, you will need considerable mechanical skills.

One thing that makes projects hard, especially your first projects, is this
idea that you need exactly the right part. With a little help from your
trusty calculator, you can play pretty fast and loose with parts values in
most projects. In the case of a tuning cap, if you can find something on
the right planet it typically isn't too tough to make adjustments to
accomodate the different part. Study your circuit and understand what each
part is doing, especially around the tuning circuits. It is usually pretty
simple to make some adjustments, especially if, as you suggest, getting some
precise tuning range isn't critical.

Old August 29th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

SparkySKO wrote:

[Basically this says, are there any practical alternatives to an air
variable capacitor that a beginner can use in building his first
receiver radio?]

This homebrew 10-600pF book-shaped air variable has knob tuning:
http://www.leradiodisophie.it/CV-libro.html

Wind a simple coil, add a diode and audio amplification -
see what you can hear.

Old August 29th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I finally caved in and cannibalized a radio. 8$ at big lots (heck they
even had one for 4$, but this one had a bigger 'knob'). Sure enough, a
variable cap (plastic spacers in between the plates).

Old August 29th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

SparkySKO wrote:
Hello All,

[Basically this says, are there any practical alternatives to an air
variable capacitor that a beginner can use in building his first
receiver radio?]

I'm interested in getting my feet wet in building a receiver, but don't
want to buy a 'kit'. I'd like to build a radio that has a knob I can
somewhat tune it with. I've been really looking at regenerative radios
and superheterodynes, although a simple radio is more important than
how well it really performs.

One common theme in almost every 'simple' radio design I can find, is
that they *ALL* use Air variable capacitors. While I'm sure these were
everywhere 20 years ago, going to every major electronics supply house
in Portland, Oregon has yielded me only with small trimmer capacitors,
which AFAIK, will not do for a 'tuner'.

Oh, A local!
Okay,I'mma spill the beans,and 'leak' my hidden treasure trove..
Check out "R5D3 Electronic Surplus" out in Milwaukie,off of Johnson
Creek road.
He's got *tons* of tubes,and lots of other useful parts for cheap.
Got a couple bins/boxes full of variable caps and all that stuff.

Bob's a cool guy. Tell him "that young punk" sent ya. ;-)