RadioBanter

-   -   ARRL "Homebrew Challenge" (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/105197-arrl-homebrew-challenge.html)

Tom Coates September 23rd 06 05:14 AM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

ARRL has announced a design competition that some of you may not have heard
of. The objective is to produce a CW and SSB transceiver with at least 5
watts of output on 40 meters. Components must be commercially available. The
total cost of all components (except key, mic and power supply) must not
exceed $50. Any instruments beyond a multimeter must be in the $50. Complete
information is at http://www.arrl.org/qst/hbc/. Credit for the original idea
goes to N4AUP/9. All components of the entry must arrive at ARRL by next
August. The winning entry will be the subject of a QST article.

I would hope that the winning entry would also appear in the ARRL Handbook
and the "Now You're Talking" book. It would also be desirable for this
contest repeat every two years, alternating with an SSB/CW transceiver for a
single VHF or UHF band, or perhaps for two bands most suitable for working
the low-orbit satellites: something worthwhile for new Technicians to build
(such a competition might have a higher limit than $50).

The idea that new hams could again build their own stations using money
earned after school is very appealing. That was a plausible objective in the
1960s, because of the availability of components from obsolete TVs.

Tom, N3IJ

jack September 23rd 06 04:19 PM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

Those TV's weren't obsolete -- they were "repurposed" -- and don't forget
that you had to purloin your grandmother's a.m. radio for a 365mmF dual
variable cap.

ken scharf September 23rd 06 08:23 PM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

Tom Coates wrote:
[...]

I would take exception to the "windows" requirement for the PC. They
should allow a solution using both "MAC" and "Linux" based PC's
especially the later. Linux can run on a 'throw away' computer that is
now underpowered for current generation Windows OS. Also Linux is FREE
(perfect for a budget project!).

I don't run windows on my computer. Currently running Gentoo Linux, but
for non-computer gear heads I recommend Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Xubuntu Linux.

notbob September 23rd 06 08:57 PM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

On 2006-09-23, ken scharf wrote:

I would take exception to the "windows" requirement for the PC. They
should allow a solution using both "MAC" and "Linux" based PC's
especially the later.

Evidently, you didn't read this requirement thoroughly.

"The software must run on a Windows based PC platform although multi
platform support is encouraged."

I assume this is to make sure a solution is not done soley on an apple or
linux box, thereby leaving out 95% of computer users. I'm a linux
user, but let's face it, not including Windoze would exclude way too
many people. Not good for promoting ARRL programs.

nb

ken scharf September 24th 06 02:15 AM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

On 2006-09-23, ken scharf wrote:

I would take exception to the "windows" requirement for the PC. They
should allow a solution using both "MAC" and "Linux" based PC's
especially the later.

Evidently, you didn't read this requirement thoroughly.

"The software must run on a Windows based PC platform although multi
platform support is encouraged."

I assume this is to make sure a solution is not done soley on an apple or
linux box, thereby leaving out 95% of computer users. I'm a linux
user, but let's face it, not including Windoze would exclude way too
many people. Not good for promoting ARRL programs.

nb

Oh I read the requirements. I meant that I didn't agree with them, and
I wrote an email to ARRL with that opinion. They replied back to me
with your analysis, that they wanted a solution that would be applicable
to most computer users, but they also liked the idea of a multi-platform
project. Maybe they might open up a category for Linux.

The advantage of Linux is that the development tools are free, and Linux
will run on any computer that runs windows. You can also install Linux
on top of windows (on the same computer anyway) and dual boot, so you
can have your cake and eat it too (or have your poison and antidote too
in my opinion!).

xpyttl September 24th 06 02:26 PM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

"ken scharf" wrote in message

The advantage of Linux is that the development tools are free, and Linux
will run on any computer that runs windows.

Not entirely true. Linux doesn't always have the hardware support,
especially on newer boxes.

You can also install Linux
on top of windows (on the same computer anyway) and dual boot, so you
can have your cake and eat it too (or have your poison and antidote too
in my opinion!).

And why would you? Why would you suffer the complexity and frustration of
Linux if Windoze is working just fine for you?

Personally, I fully enjoy having Linux servers an Windoze desktops on my
home LAN, and with the magic of Cygwin, I can have Linux tools on my Windoze
box, and seamless access to my Linux apps, withough fully suffering the
clumsy Linux desktop.

But that is just me. Most folks want to use the applications, not the OS.
Most hams aren't going to write programs, and the features of Linux will be
lost on them, but the complexity sure won't. For them, all they want is a
little Digipan and email, why on earth would they subject themselves to yet
another set of stuff to learn? As far as i can tell, the only ham app on
Linux that is better than what is available on Windoze is gEDA. Everything
else is harder to use and less capable.

Now, I have a lot of ham apps on Linux that I have personally written.
These provide me with functions that aren't easily available on Windoze, and
the Linux environment makes it much easier. But I'm not most people. Not
too many hams are comfortable writing their own applications, or even if
they could, that isn't how they enjoy the hobby. For most people, including
most hams, Windoze serves the purpose.

Everyone has their own set of needs, and one size doesn't fit all. I
suspect there may even be some people for whom the Mac is the best answer,
although I can't imagine who they might be. But the getting in price for
Linux is still pretty high in terms of learning curve, and for most hams,
the return is close to zero. So why bother?

Danny Richardson September 24th 06 03:58 PM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 09:26:24 -0400, "xpyttl"
wrote:

"ken scharf" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

..

Excellent response. I too have a Linux system on my shack computer
dual-booting with Winders. I removed Linux from my main computer as
after several months of searching I could never find a decent driver
for my video card and wasn't about to buy another card when there was
nothing wrong with one I have except there aren't any Linux drivers
for it.

Plus setting the sucker up is a PITA. Kind of a cross between DOS and
Window '98. Finding extensions, plugins, or what ever you may call
them is some what like a scavenger hunt and takes a LOT of time and
effort.

If one takes the time and endures the learning curve the results are
often quite good. The system is very stable and works well.

73,
Danny, K6MHE

Leroy September 24th 06 05:15 PM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 09:26:24 -0400, xpyttl wrote:

And why would you? Why would you suffer the complexity and frustration of
Linux if Windoze is working just fine for you?

Linux- not just for geeks anymore. Mepis distro, even computer illiterates
can use it.

"This is your office app for letters and spreadsheets, this is
your web/file browser, this is your e-mail. Need anything else?"

"No, that looks easy enough."

You can even make it look and feel like "Windows" if they are hesitant to
use something that seems unfamiliar.

ken scharf September 24th 06 09:39 PM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

wrote:

"ken scharf" wrote in message

[...]

Those of us that have gone through the trouble of getting there know
the rewards of Linux. I agree, it's not something for everyone, but I
would think that if you have the brains to get a ham ticket and build
your own gear, you can figure it out. Also Ubuntu, Linspire (and
Freespire) provide a brainless install that usually just works.

As for hardware support, it's much better than it used to be. Almost
every sound card chipset found on today's motherboards are supported.
Nvidia and Ati both have Linux drivers for their latest video cards
(though they are binary drivers and must be downloaded and installed by
the end user....complete instructions on the manufacturer's wwebsites).
Intel's own graphics chips are supported directly by the kernel.

About the only thing I find lacking is Macromedia Flash support for
Linux, though there is a GNU project to provide it (gnash).

Michael Black September 24th 06 10:12 PM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

Leroy ) writes:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 09:26:24 -0400, xpyttl wrote:

And why would you? Why would you suffer the complexity and frustration of
Linux if Windoze is working just fine for you?

Linux- not just for geeks anymore. Mepis distro, even computer illiterates
can use it.

Given that this is about a contest about building a radio, in a newsgroup
devoted to the building of radios, I would expect a higher level of interest
in Linux.

But that said, at this point one could even distribute any needed software
along with an existing distribution. Put it on a Live distribution,
and people treat the whole thing like an application.

Michael VE2BVW

Danny Richardson September 25th 06 01:20 AM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

wrote:

"ken scharf" wrote in message

[...]

I really don't want to debate this but will add this comment: I did
not find that true with Ubuntu. Try playing videos or mp3s without
addding a bunch of stuff after the install. Its not a slam-dunk yet.

It really a choice thing and we don't all make the same choices. G

very 73,
Danny, K6MHE

[snip]

Joel Kolstad September 25th 06 06:08 PM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

"ken scharf" wrote in message
The advantage of Linux is that the development tools are free

Not true. A fairer statement would probably be something like "there are
significantly more free development tools for Linux than there are for
Windows." On Windows, the "express" editions of the Microsoft compilers are
free, older Borland tools are free, GCC is free, etc. On Linux, there are
plenty of commercial development suite, which in many cases are well worth the
money.

and Linux
will run on any computer that runs windows.

Also not true. Especially with laptops, drivers for Linux are often
non-existent. In fact, where I start thinking, "hmm... I should do something
with Linux..." the *first* thing I have to consider is whether or not I have a
PC around that'll have its hardware fully supported.

Straydog September 25th 06 07:16 PM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Joel Kolstad wrote:

"ken scharf" wrote in message
The advantage of Linux is that the development tools are free

Not true. A fairer statement would probably be something like "there are
significantly more free development tools for Linux than there are for
Windows." On Windows, the "express" editions of the Microsoft compilers are
free, older Borland tools are free, GCC is free, etc. On Linux, there are
plenty of commercial development suite, which in many cases are well worth the
money.

I'm not that aware of how many (and how good) developement tools are there
for Linux but...see bellow...

and Linux
will run on any computer that runs windows.

Also not true. Especially with laptops, drivers for Linux are often
non-existent. In fact, where I start thinking, "hmm... I should do something
with Linux..." the *first* thing I have to consider is whether or not I have a
PC around that'll have its hardware fully supported.

My little story....

I have been told that there are laptops out there, with Windows
pre-installed, that will not even run DOS or Win3.1 any more.

Laptop support for anything other than what software the laptop was
designed for is a major problem.

I have had vastly more success intalling the earlier versions of Linux on
"any" PC laying around. Just like Windoze, Linux has also tightened up its
hardware compatibility requirements and particularly in the driver
category.

I've had, and installed, from Red Hat 4.2 to 5.2, 6.2, 7.3 (problems with
7.4, very buggy GUIs in 7.1,7.2), and mostly failure with one of the
Workstation (Taroon, version 3.0) versions (based on the 3.5 inch
boot disk with included CD-ROM driver portfolio was changed from a small
number of prior CD-ROM drivers to new RAIDs, etc, and the new drivers
don't recognize anything older than about 4-5 years, now). And, I was
profoundly disappointed. Also, that same Linux (Taroon) required 256 MB of
ram to run. It would boot with less (32 mb), but barely get the GUI up.
Anything beyond that would run into the swap partition and be slow as
hell. Actually both 6.2 and 7.3 (which installed sucessfully less often
than 6.2 or 5.2) are pretty good (eg. drag and drop file manager, gFTP,
automount-dismount drives, etc). StarOffice 5.1 & 5.2 installed well on
5.2 and 6.2. The problems with 7.3 and prior were the buggy web browsers
or they would crash on moderate to advanced websites.

I never set up the firewalls, IP chains, or whatever, and some months
after I was running it on the intenet, I got hacked (I actually witnessed
it as it was happening: hard drive started cranking like mad, and lots of
bytes were being downloaded (as could be seen on the download bytes/sec
rate meter and graph). By the time I could get to the phone line to
disconnect, the bugger downloaded a rootkit somewhere and every time I
booted it up, I could see a package of outgoing data (red bars) leave my
box (and without confirming green bars) to some unknown point on the
internet. At a later point, I nuked the HD and re-installed.

As an aside, I still run DOS & Win3.1 for a lot of internet aps. At one
time, www.securityspace.com ran free vulnerability tests with hack attacks
(I think www.grc.com does too) and could not hack my Win3.1 with Netscape
2.01 dialer (probably because it has no ports for anything but email, ng,
ftp, and http protocols), but it could hack my Linux and Win98SE boxes
(without ZoneAlarm). Most of the time I access my shell account with a DOS
terminal program (dialup terminal mode, not ppp). I think my home box is
pretty safe that way (not much is going to cross from Unix to DOS, and I
don't keep any vital info in files/folders on my shell directory.

Leroy September 25th 06 07:28 PM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:39:34 -0400, ken scharf wrote:

About the only thing I find lacking is Macromedia Flash support for Linux,
though there is a GNU project to provide it (gnash).

Flash working fine here on Mepis 3.4-3.

Even runs my LinkSys WPC54G wireless card when other distros wouldn't.

Highland Ham September 25th 06 09:56 PM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

About the only thing I find lacking is Macromedia Flash support for Linux,
though there is a GNU project to provide it (gnash).

Flash working fine here on Mepis 3.4-3.

Even runs my LinkSys WPC54G wireless card when other distros wouldn't.

===================================
Question : Do you run 'Simply Mepis' from a live CD or have you
installed that distro on your HD ?

'Simply Mepis' upgrades come hard and fast ; last month the Linux Format
magazine's DVD carried version 6.0

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Allodoxaphobia September 25th 06 10:27 PM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:56:18 +0100, Highland Ham wrote:
About the only thing I find lacking is Macromedia Flash support for Linux,
though there is a GNU project to provide it (gnash).

Flash working fine here on Mepis 3.4-3.

Even runs my LinkSys WPC54G wireless card when other distros wouldn't.

===================================
Question : Do you run 'Simply Mepis' from a live CD or have you
installed that distro on your HD ?

'Simply Mepis' upgrades come hard and fast ; last month the Linux Format
magazine's DVD carried version 6.0

They shouldn't be coming "hard and fast" from here on out. Mepis is now
Debian-based and will follow that distro's roll-out schedule(s). There
can be/will be security updates -- which I believe is A Real Good Thing.
The updates are done with ease.

But new, full releases will appear less often. 'Tis said, as well, that
Mepis release's will each now come with "Long Term Support". Dunno what
that means in actuality, but I've gotten damn tired of Mandrake
deprecating my installations each time I finally get them fully fleshed
out, fine tuned, and stable. Then it is upheaval all over again.

I will be moving off the Mandrake ("Mandriva" - yeech!) distro (MDK 10.2
on my primary box), and I have recently installed Mepis 6.0 on my
'down-level' box (was MDK 9.1). Mepis 6.0 installed as slick as you'd
ever want an install to go.

Recommended.

Jonesy -- Mikro$oft free since 1991
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http//jonz.net/ng.htm

ken scharf September 26th 06 12:28 AM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

Leroy wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:39:34 -0400, ken scharf wrote:

About the only thing I find lacking is Macromedia Flash support for Linux,
though there is a GNU project to provide it (gnash).

Flash working fine here on Mepis 3.4-3.

Even runs my LinkSys WPC54G wireless card when other distros wouldn't.

There are TWO different flash plugins. Macromedia is NOT supported
under linux. There is another pluging also called flash that is.

ken scharf September 26th 06 12:30 AM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

wrote:

"ken scharf" wrote in message

[...]

Ubuntu tries to be a totally free (as in freedom) distro so they don't
distribute closed source drivers and plugins by default. As you noticed
it's possible but requires user intervention. There are scripts
available to do this for your with one click.

It really a choice thing and we don't all make the same choices. G

very 73,
Danny, K6MHE

[snip]

Yes! choice is good!

Leroy September 26th 06 12:34 AM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:56:18 +0100, Highland Ham wrote:

About the only thing I find lacking is Macromedia Flash support for
Linux, though there is a GNU project to provide it (gnash).

Flash working fine here on Mepis 3.4-3.

Even runs my LinkSys WPC54G wireless card when other distros wouldn't.

===================================
Question : Do you run 'Simply Mepis' from a live CD or have you installed
that distro on your HD ?

'Simply Mepis' upgrades come hard and fast ; last month the Linux Format
magazine's DVD carried version 6.0

I originally ran it from a Live CD to test it. It found and set up all of
my hardware without any messing about or configuring on my part. After a
few days I wiped out Mandrake and installed it to the HD.

The only thing I really miss is Midnite Commander...and a partition that
got munged when I disregarded previous experience and was bopping back and
forth between Partition Magic and QTParted. I could re-write the partion
table by hand with a hex editor but it's tedious work and I'm not sure
that what's gone is worth the effort.

This machine is set up to dual-boot with Win 98, but the only reason I
keep it is for one business app that manages my inventory and invoicing.
I'm used to the way it works and too lazy to port it over or try to
convert it to something else.

I have the Mepis 6.0 Live distro but this is working fine. It ain't broke,
so I'm not going to "fix" it. But if I decide to build a new laptop with
one of those nice 17" screens and a dual-core AMD CPU, that is most likely
what will go on it.

Eamon Skelton September 26th 06 09:03 AM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:28:05 -0400, ken scharf wrote:

There are TWO different flash plugins. Macromedia is NOT supported
under linux. There is another pluging also called flash that is.

The Macromedia flash plugin works fine on my Linux box. You can get it
from:
http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get...7_linux.tar.gz

or with this shorter URL: http://tinyurl.com/prmdd

I think it is closed-source, binary only, so it will probably only
work with X86 versions of Linux.

Note that Macromedia are called Adobe these days.

Anyway, thats enough OT for me. This is turning into a
Linux advocacy group :-)

73, Ed. EI9GQ.

--
Remove 'X' to reply by e-mail
Linux 2.6.17

[email protected] September 29th 06 12:58 AM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge" NOT about Operating Systems

Folks, all this stuff about Operating Systems is interesting, but it
doesn't apply that much to this "Homebrew Challenge" insofar as
the radio part of the radio station specified in the contest.

For only $50 in New Part cost, what does everyone think about
for the actual RADIO hardware?

Just curious...I have no interest in that contest...just a curiosity
of what might come up in the next year.

Ben Jackson September 29th 06 05:34 AM

On 2006-09-28, wrote:

For only $50 in New Part cost, what does everyone think about
for the actual RADIO hardware?

Their goals of homebuildable and as cheap/functional as possible are in
conflict. A starter homebrew design should be more modular, rely less
on overloading of components for multiple purposes, include guidelines
for substituting any expensive or rare part with found alternatives. It
would not be concerned about requiring one of a part you can only readily
get in bags of 10 or 20.

The cheapest possible starter 40M CW/SSB radio would probably be a kit,
not built from a collection of overpriced Radio Shack components. It
probably does a lot of work in the digital domain, without regard to
ease of modification. It's built on an etched PCB mass produced in
such quantities that it's cheaper than bare copper board at the local
electronics store.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/

MadEngineer September 29th 06 04:15 PM

Ben Jackson wrote:

The cheapest possible starter 40M CW/SSB radio would probably be a kit,
not built from a collection of overpriced Radio Shack components. It
probably does a lot of work in the digital domain, without regard to
ease of modification. It's built on an etched PCB mass produced in
such quantities that it's cheaper than bare copper board at the local
electronics store.

I agree, but I also think many will rise to the challenge, even though
the prize is modest. Look for some very clever things--mostly done
with IQ phasing techniques. I personally plan to enter with something,
and suspect others on this list will as well. Also expect an even
better project to follow that builds on all the best from the
contest...I'm most interested to see what sort of frequency
synthesizers/VFOs come out of this. I'm personally hoping ARRL gets
enough entries that they can publish a book or something, and am hoping
this will inspire some wonderful new kits and other things for newbies.

My design will not use IQ, will have a DSP (probably one of the
Microchip 30F4013s in a DIP pkg), but I haven't found/invented a VFO
scheme I really like yet (yes, I know the contest allows you to be
rockbound, but I'm shooting a little higher). I'll try to set up a
brag page and post progress.

I appreciate the time given for this contest--even with very spare time
people should be able to do something. I suspect ARRL's lab will have
their hands full testing everything that comes in ( maybe they will
only test the finalists).

What fun!

73,
Glenn Dixon AC7ZN

Tim Shoppa October 2nd 06 12:58 AM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

Tom Coates wrote:
ARRL has announced a design competition that some of you may not have heard
of. The objective is to produce a CW and SSB transceiver with at least 5
watts of output on 40 meters. Components must be commercially available. The
total cost of all components (except key, mic and power supply) must not
exceed $50. Any instruments beyond a multimeter must be in the $50.

WOW.

$50 today is like $10 when I was first licensed 30-something years ago.

$50 is just five more dollars than what the 2007 ARRL handbook
(paperback) is going to cost!

Tim.

Michael Black October 2nd 06 03:09 AM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

"Tim Shoppa" ) writes:
Tom Coates wrote:
ARRL has announced a design competition that some of you may not have heard
of. The objective is to produce a CW and SSB transceiver with at least 5
watts of output on 40 meters. Components must be commercially available. The
total cost of all components (except key, mic and power supply) must not
exceed $50. Any instruments beyond a multimeter must be in the $50.

WOW.

$50 today is like $10 when I was first licensed 30-something years ago.

$50 is just five more dollars than what the 2007 ARRL handbook
(paperback) is going to cost!

Tim.

That is an interesting perspective.

My first handbook, the 1971 edition, had a $4.50 cover price. It
was preceeded, by about a month, "How To Become A Radio Amateur",
and I can't remember how much that was but obviously not much.

The latter book had a single tube transmitter built on a wooden
"chassis", though I can't remember if they suggested you scrounge
the parts. I have no recollection of the receiver, but it would
have been a regen.

Michael VE2BVW

MadEngineer October 2nd 06 09:26 PM

ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

Tim wrote:

$50 today is like $10 when I was first licensed 30-something years ago.

Yes, but electronics follow a strange economy...some parts such as
batteries and pots haven't changed price much, but most are much
cheaper. You can now buy a`stereo FM receiver for $3.00 at Wal Mart.
In the sixties that would have cost at least $30.00. But today's
integrated radios have darn few parts that can be removed/reused.

$50 is just five more dollars than what the 2007 ARRL handbook
(paperback) is going to cost!

Well, if it's any consolation, you will probably get lots more from the
handbook--in terms of weight, at least.

Regards,
Glenn Dixon AC7ZN