Old September 23rd 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default ARRL "Homebrew Challenge"

ARRL has announced a design competition that some of you may not have heard
of. The objective is to produce a CW and SSB transceiver with at least 5
watts of output on 40 meters. Components must be commercially available. The
total cost of all components (except key, mic and power supply) must not
exceed $50. Any instruments beyond a multimeter must be in the $50. Complete
information is at http://www.arrl.org/qst/hbc/. Credit for the original idea
goes to N4AUP/9. All components of the entry must arrive at ARRL by next
August. The winning entry will be the subject of a QST article.

I would hope that the winning entry would also appear in the ARRL Handbook
and the "Now You're Talking" book. It would also be desirable for this
contest repeat every two years, alternating with an SSB/CW transceiver for a
single VHF or UHF band, or perhaps for two bands most suitable for working
the low-orbit satellites: something worthwhile for new Technicians to build
(such a competition might have a higher limit than $50).

The idea that new hams could again build their own stations using money
earned after school is very appealing. That was a plausible objective in the
1960s, because of the availability of components from obsolete TVs.

Tom, N3IJ

Old September 23rd 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Those TV's weren't obsolete -- they were "repurposed" -- and don't forget
that you had to purloin your grandmother's a.m. radio for a 365mmF dual
variable cap.

Old September 23rd 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Tom Coates wrote:
[...]

I would take exception to the "windows" requirement for the PC. They
should allow a solution using both "MAC" and "Linux" based PC's
especially the later. Linux can run on a 'throw away' computer that is
now underpowered for current generation Windows OS. Also Linux is FREE
(perfect for a budget project!).

I don't run windows on my computer. Currently running Gentoo Linux, but
for non-computer gear heads I recommend Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Xubuntu Linux.
Old September 23rd 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 2006-09-23, ken scharf wrote:

I would take exception to the "windows" requirement for the PC. They
should allow a solution using both "MAC" and "Linux" based PC's
especially the later.

Evidently, you didn't read this requirement thoroughly.

"The software must run on a Windows based PC platform although multi
platform support is encouraged."

I assume this is to make sure a solution is not done soley on an apple or
linux box, thereby leaving out 95% of computer users. I'm a linux
user, but let's face it, not including Windoze would exclude way too
many people. Not good for promoting ARRL programs.

nb
Old September 24th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 2006-09-23, ken scharf wrote:

I would take exception to the "windows" requirement for the PC. They
should allow a solution using both "MAC" and "Linux" based PC's
especially the later.

Evidently, you didn't read this requirement thoroughly.

"The software must run on a Windows based PC platform although multi
platform support is encouraged."

I assume this is to make sure a solution is not done soley on an apple or
linux box, thereby leaving out 95% of computer users. I'm a linux
user, but let's face it, not including Windoze would exclude way too
many people. Not good for promoting ARRL programs.

nb

Oh I read the requirements. I meant that I didn't agree with them, and
I wrote an email to ARRL with that opinion. They replied back to me
with your analysis, that they wanted a solution that would be applicable
to most computer users, but they also liked the idea of a multi-platform
project. Maybe they might open up a category for Linux.

The advantage of Linux is that the development tools are free, and Linux
will run on any computer that runs windows. You can also install Linux
on top of windows (on the same computer anyway) and dual boot, so you
can have your cake and eat it too (or have your poison and antidote too
in my opinion!).

Old September 24th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"ken scharf" wrote in message

The advantage of Linux is that the development tools are free, and Linux
will run on any computer that runs windows.

Not entirely true. Linux doesn't always have the hardware support,
especially on newer boxes.

You can also install Linux
on top of windows (on the same computer anyway) and dual boot, so you
can have your cake and eat it too (or have your poison and antidote too
in my opinion!).

And why would you? Why would you suffer the complexity and frustration of
Linux if Windoze is working just fine for you?

Personally, I fully enjoy having Linux servers an Windoze desktops on my
home LAN, and with the magic of Cygwin, I can have Linux tools on my Windoze
box, and seamless access to my Linux apps, withough fully suffering the
clumsy Linux desktop.

But that is just me. Most folks want to use the applications, not the OS.
Most hams aren't going to write programs, and the features of Linux will be
lost on them, but the complexity sure won't. For them, all they want is a
little Digipan and email, why on earth would they subject themselves to yet
another set of stuff to learn? As far as i can tell, the only ham app on
Linux that is better than what is available on Windoze is gEDA. Everything
else is harder to use and less capable.

Now, I have a lot of ham apps on Linux that I have personally written.
These provide me with functions that aren't easily available on Windoze, and
the Linux environment makes it much easier. But I'm not most people. Not
too many hams are comfortable writing their own applications, or even if
they could, that isn't how they enjoy the hobby. For most people, including
most hams, Windoze serves the purpose.

Everyone has their own set of needs, and one size doesn't fit all. I
suspect there may even be some people for whom the Mac is the best answer,
although I can't imagine who they might be. But the getting in price for
Linux is still pretty high in terms of learning curve, and for most hams,
the return is close to zero. So why bother?

Old September 24th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 09:26:24 -0400, "xpyttl"
wrote:

"ken scharf" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

..

Excellent response. I too have a Linux system on my shack computer
dual-booting with Winders. I removed Linux from my main computer as
after several months of searching I could never find a decent driver
for my video card and wasn't about to buy another card when there was
nothing wrong with one I have except there aren't any Linux drivers
for it.

Plus setting the sucker up is a PITA. Kind of a cross between DOS and
Window '98. Finding extensions, plugins, or what ever you may call
them is some what like a scavenger hunt and takes a LOT of time and
effort.

If one takes the time and endures the learning curve the results are
often quite good. The system is very stable and works well.

73,
Danny, K6MHE
Old September 24th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 09:26:24 -0400, xpyttl wrote:

And why would you? Why would you suffer the complexity and frustration of
Linux if Windoze is working just fine for you?

Linux- not just for geeks anymore. Mepis distro, even computer illiterates
can use it.

"This is your office app for letters and spreadsheets, this is
your web/file browser, this is your e-mail. Need anything else?"

"No, that looks easy enough."

You can even make it look and feel like "Windows" if they are hesitant to
use something that seems unfamiliar.

Old September 24th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:

"ken scharf" wrote in message

[...]

Those of us that have gone through the trouble of getting there know
the rewards of Linux. I agree, it's not something for everyone, but I
would think that if you have the brains to get a ham ticket and build
your own gear, you can figure it out. Also Ubuntu, Linspire (and
Freespire) provide a brainless install that usually just works.

As for hardware support, it's much better than it used to be. Almost
every sound card chipset found on today's motherboards are supported.
Nvidia and Ati both have Linux drivers for their latest video cards
(though they are binary drivers and must be downloaded and installed by
the end user....complete instructions on the manufacturer's wwebsites).
Intel's own graphics chips are supported directly by the kernel.

About the only thing I find lacking is Macromedia Flash support for
Linux, though there is a GNU project to provide it (gnash).

Old September 24th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Leroy ) writes:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 09:26:24 -0400, xpyttl wrote:

And why would you? Why would you suffer the complexity and frustration of
Linux if Windoze is working just fine for you?

Linux- not just for geeks anymore. Mepis distro, even computer illiterates
can use it.

Given that this is about a contest about building a radio, in a newsgroup
devoted to the building of radios, I would expect a higher level of interest
in Linux.

But that said, at this point one could even distribute any needed software
along with an existing distribution. Put it on a Live distribution,
and people treat the whole thing like an application.

Michael VE2BVW