Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 5th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default GE paging transmitter 4CX250 question.

Hi folks,

I am responsible for the care and feeding of our GE pager transmitter
on 150mhz vhf frequency range. I don't have the model number here as
I am at home at the moment. It uses a single 4CX250 in the cavity final.

The problem is this, 10 watts output with 10 watts input, Plate
voltage is 2100, plate current is very low at 100ma (normal is 270)
and the screen voltage is around 60 to 80 volts.

The screen is supplied through an 80k resistor from the 2100 volt
supply and has variable resistors to ground to set the actual screen
operating point. I have placed as much as 500 volts on the screen
circuit externally with the tube removed to check the bypass caps and
they seem fine. They withstand the 500vdc without breaking down.
The tube is good, we tried it in another cavity (our spare amplifier).
The plate circuit is good also. At first I thought I had lost a plate
choke or connection causing the screen to draw excess current.

I know the screen is drawing excess current causing the screen
voltage to fall off. The control grid current looks normal and
behaves normally with tuning controls. I don't get it?? How can
I have excess screen current and yet have the low plate current?
The tank circuit seems normal, the tuning controls appear to work
properly, in fact every once in a while the unit will work perfect
for a minute or two making 250 watts output, then it goes back to
acting weird again.

Anyone ever have a GE vhf amplifier do this? Thanks!!

vlf antenna question Albert Antenna 21 March 31st 05 12:29 AM
Auction ends in 1 hour! 2 Watt FM Stereo Broadcast 88-108 MHz LCDDigital PLL Transmitter righteous-jude Scanner 0 November 15th 04 02:19 AM
Auction ends in 1 day! FM Stereo Broadcast Transmitter 88-108 MHzDigital PLL LCD Display - 2 Watt righteous-jude Scanner 1 November 14th 04 04:25 PM
For Sale: FM Stereo Broadcast Transmitter 88-108 MHz Digital PLLLCD Display - 2 Watt righteous-jude Shortwave 0 November 12th 04 07:07 AM
For Sale: 2 Watt FM Stereo Broadcast LCD Digital PLL Transmitter righteous-jude Shortwave 0 November 10th 04 08:55 AM